Author Topic: what would you consider "safe ice?"  (Read 4422 times)

Offline delidude

• IceShanty Rookie
what would you consider "safe ice?"
« on: Nov 25, 2017, 01:44 PM »
I used to go on about 3 inches when I was younger but,at about 60#s heavier and 20 years older,I'm thinking more like 5-6 inches!!!! any thoughts?  :tipup:
your never to old to have a happy childhood

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: what would you consider "safe ice?"
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2017, 01:58 PM »
 I'll do 3 or 4 close to shore with people in the area while it's cold and making ice. I've been on 2+. Not comfortable. I prefer 5 or 6 as well. Had 9 inches of clear black on Highland 1st bay a few years ago. Drilled my way across with my brother. It was awesome watching the fish com in on chartreuse tip up line.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:21 PM »
2"

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Nothing less than 4 inches of clear ice for me.  I have a Striker suit and have no desire to take a chance on finding out how well it works.

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:28 PM »
2"

Hopefully nobody takes this advice and thinks 2" of ice is safe.  It's a good way to get yourself or others killed.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:28 PM »
if i can hit it 3x in the same place with my spud im good to go.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:38 PM »
 ,,   Been on 3”many times but 4” preferred , but with spud in hand as ice thickness can vary

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2017, 04:16 PM »
4” of solid ice beneath my feet and I’m good to go. With 4” though, if im with a fishing buddy, we walk single file. If side by side I like about 10’-15’ between people (also for single file).

Ice is never safe and a group of people with all of their personal gear is HEAVY. When in groups like that, walking on the ice is the same as driving on ice as far as ice thickness and weight is concerned, IMO.

The weight of 3-4 big guys (even without gear) is pushing the weight of a small car or a few beefy snowmobiles already and the ice can’t tell the difference.

And for newer ice fishermen..... TWO INCHES IS NOT ENOUGH ICE TO BE ON. PERIOD.

With 2 inches of ice, the room for error is very slim. If it warms up above freezing and the wind starts blowing.... you’re screwed. Some guys like to push the limits. You’re life and you’re loved ones lives are NOT worth trying to ice fish. The last few seasons have been riddled with tragic stories of people loosing there lives with the gamut ranging from guys with their small children to seasoned professional ice fishing experts.

Having said all of that, 4” of solid clear ice is more than enough for a 250# person and a 45#-60# sled (me lol).
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Well said Ryan.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2017, 04:07 AM »
4" hard black ice to start but 6"make me feel better. But there is never real safe ice by thickness alone , ice varies too much. Be careful :tipup:

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2017, 07:46 PM »
4 inches for me and still nervous ,hitting that thin spot is not pleasant.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2017, 07:51 PM »
I used to go on about 3 inches when I was younger but,at about 60#s heavier and 20 years older,I'm thinking more like 5-6 inches!!!! any thoughts?  :tipup:
I have gone on less,unknowingly, but I think 6" is minimum to catch a fish.It would break my heart to have someone tell my grandchildren a Bluegill killed their Papa.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Being a lighter guy I tend to stick with the 3"rule. That being said I've fished in shallow water on just under 2"of Crystal clear black ice. Most people will say 4", and for most people, even heavier guys, it's more than enough if it's good clear ice. Always check as you go as thin ice can vary in thickness pretty quick. When I'm on 4 or less I always check in a big circle around where I want to fish and don't go past my "safe zone". Works for me and haven't gone through yet.

That being said, safe is really what you feel comfortable on. If you're careful and know what you're doing 3 to 4 is probably fine, assuming it's good ice. I also know guys who won't go out unless it's at least 5". Be safe
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Here in this neck of the woods 3” of new if I am feeling lucky. Move pretty slow spudding all the way. Most everyone has their own comfort level. As short as the last few seasons have been I want to get out as soon as I can. Having said that Inam not usually the first one out on the ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline BugsBunny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2017, 04:13 PM »
3 inches

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2017, 04:55 AM »
2"
been the norm for ya past couple years. 2.5" for me, 5 cranks im good.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2017, 05:36 AM »
plain and simple. if there is only 2" of ice then you are standing on very early ice and you can't be sure that 5 ft away the ice will be 1/2" or not. If you are standing over only a few ft of water then no big deal, the worst that can happen is you'll get your but wet and maybe land on a rock or stump and break an ankle. But usually just get your but wet. But if you are walking out onto 2" of early ice and there's 5ft or more of water under you, you better hope you told someone where to recover your body before you left home. Walking out onto unsafe early ice doesn't make you cool... it has a great potential to make you dead.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You aren't only putting yourself in danger when you do something as risky as walking out onto thin ice. You are also putting the brave men that will try and rescue or recover your body in danger. It's not all about you. JMHO

To answer the question, I won't go on ice that is under 4". If it's under 4" or looks suspect in any way, I'll give it another week.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2017, 06:52 AM »
Another thing to note that gets said every year but is always worth repeating. Just because someone says lake x has so many inches of ice, don't take their word as law. Always double check for yourself
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:21 AM »
something else to consider when stepping out onto potentially thin, early or late ice is air temps and the sun. You might walk out onto thin ice in the morning when it's 25 degrees and think everything is just fine but by early afternoon the sun might be up and hot and that ice might be a little weaker. If it was somewhat thin when you walked out it could be seriously dangerous in the afternoon.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:31 AM »
4" for me, I will cut holes as I go along with the spud. As soon as it drops to 3", I back off. I walk behind the fat guy. if there are tracks on the ice, I will follow those  and check their test holes.

Offline tjb22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:09 AM »
I like 5" to 6" under my feet when I go, I'll do 3.5" if we are making ice that day.  Did the 2" 1st ice thing when I was in my teens which is way back in the rear view mirror.  Anything less and I hit the Cod boats out of Pt Judith to scratch the fishing itch.

Offline jhartrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Never less than 4 inches of good quality ice.  Less then that you might be in need of the services of those of us in your local VFD. 

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:09 PM »
been the norm for ya past couple years. 2.5" for me, 5 cranks im good.
Yeah, the last 2 winters were warm. I think the only time I fished over 4" of ice last year was when I came up there.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Speeding tickets? No, I haven't gotten one in about 15 years.

Offline Dave N.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2017, 05:22 PM »

Offline burkdog24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Well when I lived in Michigan I would consider 4 inches safe to walk on (due to being inpatient) but now that I live in Alaska and ice is easy to make here I like at least 6 inches

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:40 AM »
I've fished 2-2.5 and I'm 250+lb with my gear on I prefer 3+ tho
Go big or go home

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2017, 04:03 AM »
I've fished 2-2.5 and I'm 250+lb with my gear on I prefer 3+ tho
who u kidding, I can hear u now, "Its not good"  ;D

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2017, 12:45 PM »
The weight bearing (load) capacity of lake ice is directly proportional to the square of the thickness of the ice.

In case you weren't paying attention in math class this means that as the ice doubles in thickness its load capacity is 4 times as great.

If the ice triples in thickness the load capacity is 9 times as great, etc.

The point is that (adding/losing) a relatively small amount of ice can make a relatively big impact (good/bad) on what the ice can hold.

And that's the God's honest truth. ;D

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2017, 01:23 PM »
What you really need to pay attention to is the amount of air in the ice. I feel completely safe on 3" of black ice but if you get a few hours of above freezing temps and sun it starts to honeycomb fast and you should get off. Last ice is sketchy because the ice is honeycombed. I'd rather be on 2" of black ice than 6" of ice on a warm day at the end of the season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.