Author Topic: How long to marinate medium rainbows?  (Read 642 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fsh quiver in the Green River.
How long to marinate medium rainbows?
« on: Nov 24, 2017, 08:15 PM »
I have cut up two fat 15 inch rainbows and put them in a marinate of salt, brown sugar, cracked peppercorns, garlic salt, steak spices.  I have been stiring them around every couple of hours as they "stew".    My problem is I can't recall how long to marinate, I keep thinking over night but that may be a bit long. I keep them in a bowl in the fridge and yes, I did test the smoker since I hadn't used it for a couple of years.

Any suggestion would be welcomed.
WYIfish
Bare  bank fisher until next year.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How long to marinate medium rainbows?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2017, 08:40 PM »
According to page 21 of the Big Chief Electric Smoker manual for "Easy Cure Brine" the times vary depending on thickness.
Brine chunks 1" thick, 8 to 12 hours or overnight. Brine fillets to 1/2" thick about 4 hours and small whole fish or very thin pieces about 2 to 4 hours."

This manual has a lot of very useful information:

Here is the link from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/c9/c9733eee-bc06-4ad6-9d95-634e1d7c0e1c.pdf

Good Luck All :tipup:

Offline FG Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2017, 09:58 PM »
What is the approximate weight of the fish?  The volume of the water?  The type and amount of salt?  All will affect any hope of a sane answer.

I used the Luhr Jensen / Smokehouse easy cure brine for years but have dropped it in favor of less-salty brine.  Too easy to over salt with that one, IMO.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline FG Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2017, 11:23 PM »
WYIfish, I got your PM and sent a reply.  Please let us know how it turns out!

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2017, 11:43 PM »
you will be able to tell...the fillets will turn opaque..

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:40 AM »
I second Joe's reply, depends on the thickness. Sounds like you're using a dry brine. If they're thick then brine overnight. If they're thin then you would want less brine time.

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:47 PM »
I have been smoking fish for the last 60 years. I have found that using a brine that is so called Saturated Solution of 80 to 90 % is a good rule of thumb. A simple wsy to determine this so called saturated solution, is to add salt to your brine, and stir it in well. Plsce a raw egg into your brine, and if it floats, you have the right amount of salt.

In the Fall, Winter, and Spring, I smoke lots of Steelhead Rainbows tsken from a local stream off Lake Erie. Most fidh on the average run spprox. 4 thru 6 lbs. I chunk the fish, not filleting. If you are first starting out, learn how to make a basic fish brine, and once you find whst you like, stick with it.

I use an approx. 1 1/2 Gal brine consisting of 1/2 gallon  generic apple juice, 3 tablespoons  ground black pepper, an approx 16 oz box of uniodized table salt ( or Kosher Salt )  approx. 3/4 bag of Dark Brown Sugar, 1 cup regular sugar,  2  teaspoons crushed red pepper, and 1 gal tap water. This 1 1/2 gal brine will do well for any size fish. The most important things to remember is that if you place a sponge into a bucket of water, the sponge can only hold do much water, so as the fish, can only hold so much brine.
Fillets can be soaked in brine fo approx. 4-6 hours snd you sre set to go, while  large chunks or whole larger fish will  need more time, perhaps  overnite thru a second day.

Before you start, cold is the word for brine, and a good safe quality smoking job. I brine in a 5 gal plastic utility pail placed in a refrigerator during warm weather, and in cold winter weather, I sometimes leave outside covered, or in the garage if it is 40 degrees or below. * REMBER *  NEVER SCALE YOUR FISH, The skin holds your fish together

After the fish sre brined, take a knife, and run it down the fish piece with the scale pattern , not like the scaling durection. This will remove all brining slime. Quickly rine the fish pieces, don't soak them. I drain them in a collander for 10 minutes, pat dry, and into the cooker they go.

I make gourmet Smoked Trout , and it is all in the flavor, and finish. Use a vinyl glove and rub cooking oil on the skin only to prevent sticking on your racks. Most importantly, Approx two hours before my fish are done,  I  rub  Maple syrup on  the entire piece or whole fish. This step gives great color appearance, and that 30.00 per lb Cabelas Gift Box flavor!
* See Pic

Hope this help!

Bear Lake Bob

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Great post Bob:)

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:28 PM »
 :tipup:

Thanks very much.

Another secret if I may. I vacuum seal my smoked fish, and they last for months refrigerated , and are also freezeable.

I love to take a smoked chunk,  then skin, and carefully debone it. The tail section from the dorsal to tail juncture is perhaps the easiest part for a beginer to debone. After you have deboned check or bones, then check again ,then again under good light using two forks ( you do not want to serve anyone a bone who isn't expecting one )
Flake the smoked pieces in a bowl, add perhaps a small onion,  a  1/4 teaspoon dill ,  a 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and then add mayo to blend to the desired consistency. Serve this spread on good crackers, and your family or guests will do cartwheels.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.