Author Topic: Quick, possibly stupid question...  (Read 2444 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Quick, possibly stupid question...
« on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Looking at buying new tip ups as I've had the same ones for almost 20 years now...I'm looking at the frabill arctic fire and I'm wondering what the purpose is of the metal loop on the flag arm is for? I tried looking it up but never got an explanation, it looks like you can move it up and down the arm? My old ht polar's don't have this extra piece. :tipup: Thanks in advance

http://www.frabill.com/ice-fishing/tip-ups/arctic-fire-rail-tip-up.html

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Quick, possibly stupid question...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:59 AM »
That's what you hook under the T-bar.  Not sure what the purpose is, maybe it makes it easier to trip by taking some tension out of the spring, or maybe it's just something they needed to get around patent issues.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Its to flip over to the other side to be as a anti wind trip

mark 1:08

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Do yourself a favor and get the HT'S with that feature and the gold spool. Much better tip up than the Arctic Fire in my opinion. Yes I've owned both. The Frabil did away with the spring on top. The spool is 2 piece and will eventually loosed up. and the spool is also braised to the bottom of the shaft. The spring for the flag is very strong. Had it spook a few fish as the tip up will jump in the hole. The best part of the deal is there nylon flag is very good, as it is light and doesn't get all out of shape. Just my observations and experience.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Tom Gruenwald explains and demonstrates the "wind-free trip wire" pretty well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0JZHFCVVY
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2017, 09:08 AM »
hardwater diehard, I didn't realize your pic was a video...  :-[
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2017, 09:32 AM »

That's the video I remembered seeing but wasn't able to locate it very good explanation/demonstration .

Tom Gruenwald explains and demonstrates the "wind-free trip wire" pretty well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0JZHFCVVY
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.