Author Topic: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?  (Read 25671 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 03, 2017, 08:50 PM »

I don't blame ya one bit I don't like nils I got two of them sharpening costs a arm and a leg same with the blades.. your looking at half the cost of the auger for a spare head in the 8 inch most likely same price on ten inch.. to bad no one made a blade conversion for the mora to a laser.. in a  8 inch laser or the 10 inch to a power laser bit  would be nice.. sharpening is cheap for those blades and they cut that much better.. then the mora.. but I can wish in one hand and crap in the other.. guess wich gets filled first??  ;D

Oh I love my 8in nils. The heads do stay sharp a long time. I might just have to stick with it, if I cant find a 10in mora. The do make a conversion kit to got from a mora to a lazer

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Aug 04, 2017, 08:41 AM »
A 10" hole by hand? Wow. Why not buy a strikemaster electric unit? You have batteries in your wheelhouse already.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Aug 04, 2017, 08:05 PM »
A 10" hole by hand? Wow. Why not buy a strikemaster electric unit? You have batteries in your wheelhouse already.

Does nobody read the thread?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Aug 04, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Does nobody ready the thread?

Doesn't anyone read what they wrote before they post.. lol

Just messing with ya.. I agree..

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Aug 05, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Oh I love my 8in nils. The heads do stay sharp a long time. I might just have to stick with it, if I cant find a 10in mora. The do make a conversion kit to got from a mora to a lazer

But not the 8 inch or 10 inch mora to laser. They make it up to a 7 inch  and small as s 5 inch..  but if you were to just buy the 6 and 5 inch it's the same as the conversion..   but if you remember mora made a run of augers with a off set handle?? Which make really good hand auger in augers...  while  the 7 inch laser has the ice breaker bars the mora did not have the ice breakers.. make it hard to drill the last few turns with a laser..   might be worth picking up the 7 inch mora adaptor while you can cause the mora don't have the ice breaking bars on it and cut much easier with the laser adaptor then a standard nib laser 7 inch .. and the blades are plain and simply cheaper..

now if they made a 10 inch or 8 inch adaptor for the mora to laser blades  I would be thrilled to own one I got a 8 inch mora with off set handle  but would love to buy a 10 inch that's how lt goes

like you said earllier the ion in a 10 inch plain sucked is true why not to get it..

By the way not much difference in a 7 or a 8 inch hole it's only half inch on around bigger on each half of the circle..  it would save cash on those $100  heads for nils if you could use it??   

You could always get a ice hand saw and saw spud  it bigger like the nils ice saw.. if you had square hatches ??   

There's more then one way to skin a fish like we all know.. lol's

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Aug 05, 2017, 10:00 AM »
Does nobody read the thread?

I did. Missed the part about the clam drill plate. My bad. Still think it's too much for any drill combo.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Aug 05, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I did. Missed the part about the clam drill plate. My bad. Still think it's too much for any drill combo.

Then you haven't read the thread. People are already using the nils 10in on a makita and the Milwaukee with 1000-1200in/lbs with no gear box and happy.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #37 on: Aug 05, 2017, 11:02 AM »

But not the 8 inch or 10 inch mora to laser. They make it up to a 7 inch  and small as s 5 inch..  but if you were to just buy the 6 and 5 inch it's the same as the conversion..   but if you remember mora made a run of augers with a off set handle?? Which make really good hand auger in augers...  while  the 7 inch laser has the ice breaker bars the mora did not have the ice breakers.. make it hard to drill the last few turns with a laser..   might be worth picking up the 7 inch mora adaptor while you can cause the mora don't have the ice breaking bars on it and cut much easier with the laser adaptor then a standard nib laser 7 inch .. and the blades are plain and simply cheaper..

now if they made a 10 inch or 8 inch adaptor for the mora to laser blades  I would be thrilled to own one I got a 8 inch mora with off set handle  but would love to buy a 10 inch that's how lt goes

like you said earllier the ion in a 10 inch plain sucked is true why not to get it..

By the way not much difference in a 7 or a 8 inch hole it's only half inch on around bigger on each half of the circle..  it would save cash on those $100  heads for nils if you could use it??   

You could always get a ice hand saw and saw spud  it bigger like the nils ice saw.. if you had square hatches ??   

There's more then one way to skin a fish like we all know.. lol's

Chilly, just a heads up. The shaver style blades are set on a standard type/setting/fit. I had a 7in Eskimo shaver. That I converted to a 7in lazer. Well to make a long story short, The difference between the 7in shaver and 8in shaver was the set of blades. You could by a set of 8in blades that fit on the 7in auger. So I believe that you can make an 8in or 7in mora into a 8in lazer using the. 7in adaptor, because the only difference between the 7in and in is the blade size.

However, if you want a unit without the breaker bar, look up the Thunder Bay blazer auger. I has a poly head/blade mount and the support bar is behind it. So that might prevent the bar from catching on the ice before it is cut.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Aug 17, 2017, 11:14 PM »
My uncle has an Ion. Tried it. It is not bad for an 8in bit, but if you try the 10in bit u can get on them it is way underpowered for the 10in bit. Also the batteries are expensive for them, and the handles stick out and get in the way when trying to drill some of the holes. I think the biggest battery is a 5ah, the original came with a 4ah. The batteries are expensive, and it cuts somewhat slow.

I found the 1200in/lb Milwaukee drill on a clam plate to be a lot easier to fit into tight corners in the wheel house. I have two batteries that came with it (5ah) and can take the drill off it and put a bit in it to raise my wheel house up so I don't have to crank it. Plus it's super light weight. I've already got all of it, and just looking for a 10in light weight hand auger so when it's cold out the holes don't freeze closed so fast, same for the tip up holes. If I could find a decent 10in hand auger, I'd probly get the 9ah battery to up the amount of holes I could cut if I was going out to find fish. I'm guessing a clam plate/Milwaukee/10in hand auger would be around 20 lbs. I think my setup plate/milwaukee/8in nils is about 15lbs. I doubt any 10in setup would be lighter.

Thinking an old used 10in mora with the screw on/off handle and adaptor for it to the clam plate would run me about. $60-$70 if I can find them. An Ion 10in bit runs $180. If I needed new blades for the 10in mora I believe the 10in ion blades would work on it.

I know the Ion 10 inch is a piece of crap with the ion power head but what if you used the bit by its self? Like at the link below you can buy thd bits seprate from the power head's..  like at this link for all augers .. not saying you got to stick with the 10 inch at link there is even 10.25 inch with chipper blades from laser power heads but mate it to a strong drill like link below.. now if you search hard enough pair it with a great drill even some think like at the link below the bit..  I think its  the milwaukee full sds rotory hammer drill will get it in a minute that should power a ten inch no problem.. and won't smoke up your fish house.. what's your thoughs of mating a set up?? Like I said here??

10 inch Auger bit:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ion-cast-bottom-ice-fishing-auger-bit-8-or-10?a=1946971&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=CjwKCAjw_dTMBRBHEiwApIzn_CtnPhtxaeoH0Yt6uWqjyzg0HID6PuVgz-6PvO46evtC_7sLin2bNhoCNqUQAvD_BwE

Sds hammer drill milwaukee 0756-20 :

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/0756-20

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Aug 17, 2017, 11:35 PM »
I'm not worried about the drill. I'm pretty sure the Milwaukee I have will turn a 10in hand. I didn't think about the ion 10in bit. It might work. I believe the ion auger is built lighter like hand augers, and not heavy like the power ones are.

Still gonna see if I can find a 10in mora though.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Aug 18, 2017, 01:40 AM »
I'm not worried about the drill. I'm pretty sure the Milwaukee I have will turn a 10in hand. I didn't think about the ion 10in bit. It might work. I believe the ion auger is built lighter like hand augers, and not heavy like the power ones are.

I wish you luck on finding a 10 inch mora.. heck I help by keeping a eye out for one too.. I spot one I will pm it to you .. I was only suggesting the power bit cause the nils is expensive and heads are non existence and cost a ton to sharpen..  I know you know the whole speal about nils.. any how will try and keep a eye out for a mora 10 inch..

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Aug 18, 2017, 02:50 AM »
power bits will not work on the plate as the shaft diameter of the plate is smaller then the power bit. you would have to machine a filler sleeve to get it to hook to the plate.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Aug 18, 2017, 08:49 PM »

Pm sent about a 10in mora

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Aug 19, 2017, 12:13 AM »
Let us know if you found one at the right price??

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #44 on: Aug 19, 2017, 01:34 AM »
Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know much about this 10in Lazer 224 bit? Atleast i think that's what it is. Got one from a buddy on a trade for a downrigger and only drilled 2 holes with it. Was to much for my 15+ year old mag 2000 8in.. Infact I don't believe he ever used it. Got it mailed to his house by a hockey company by mistake. Pretty much on my way to all electric and haven't decided what I want to do with it yet without knowing much about this type of bit

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Aug 19, 2017, 08:53 AM »
That is one bizarre looking auger bit.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Aug 19, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Hope this is of some help , part no LPD 10"PB 224

IceShanty.com's Ice Fishing Community » IceShanty Main » General Ice Fishing Chit Chat » Topic:  older lazer 224 strike master auger. 4 blade model
NOTIFY
MARK UNREAD
SEND THIS TOPIC
PRINT
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: older lazer 224 strike master auger. 4 blade model  (Read 3767 times)
jigpause
IceShanty Rookie

older lazer 224 strike master auger. 4 blade model
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:20 PM »
i know the 4 blade model is discontinued but i refuse to get rid of mine... its fast and i can drill holes on holes very easy.
so i called strikemaster for blades...got part numbers....baaaaaa what a mistake....way off.
anyone here know where i can get a set of the 4 blades?....or what combination of blades make up the drill set?
thanks
Report to moderator     Logged
the_mad_iceman
Team IceShanty Regular

Re: older lazer 224 strike master auger. 4 blade model
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:21 PM »
you have the 8" or 10"
jigpause
IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Quote from: the_mad_iceman on Jan 04, 2011, 07:21 PM
you have the 8" or 10"

DUH sorry 10
the_mad_iceman
Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I'm not sure on size, I have a 10" 224 also, you're best bet is to measure the blades, the first cutting blades are for a hand auger then you have the serrated blades next, you might want to look into a new tip, I didn't realize how dull mine was
Regulator99
Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:58 PM »
For the 10'' 224 you need a set of 6" lazer hand auger blades and a set of 10'' lazer power auger blades.
I have the 8'' and it takes 4'' hand auger blades and I always have to special order them from SM because nobody carries them. At least the 6 inchers are readily available.

JimQ
Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:39 AM »
I've got an 8" 224 as well and was wondering the same thing....

So does it take 1 set of 8" Lazer power auger blades and 1 set of 4" Lazer hand auger blades?

I've had mine 4 or 5 seasons now and I'm probably about due for blades.  I love the auger and don't mind paying a bit more for the blades.

I can't believe the people at Strikemaster weren't able to help.  That's disappointing.

Q

Regulator99
Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:46 AM »
Quote from: JimQ on Jan 05, 2011, 07:39 AM
I've got an 8" 224 as well and was wondering the same thing....

So does it take 1 set of 8" Lazer power auger blades and 1 set of 4" Lazer hand auger blades?

I've had mine 4 or 5 seasons now and I'm probably about due for blades.  I love the auger and don't mind paying a bit more for the blades.

I can't believe the people at Strikemaster weren't able to help.  That's disappointing.

Q

Yes, youll probably have to order the 4" from SM.  I dont even think they make the 4'' hand auger anymore cause the blades are impossible to find.

JimQ
Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Thanks very much!

So looking at the Strikemaster website, this is how I understand it...

8" 224
LPD-8PB - 8” Lazer Power - $45.95 (per set)
LD-4B - 4” Lazer - $31.95 (per set)

10" 224
LPD-10PB - 10” Lazer Power - $52.95 (per set)
LD-6B    - 6” Lazer - $32.95 (per set)

Regulator99
Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:04 AM »
Yep, thats a good little bit of info for anyone who has a 224.

JimQ
Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:15 AM »
HA!  Oh yeah, I might just as well replace the "Power Point" while I'm at it.  $19.95 for a set of 2! CHA-CHING!

BTW - You can purchase all of these blades (including the 4" hand Lazer blade) from site sponsors FishUSA or FISH307 and save some $.
jigpause
IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2011, 01:52 PM »
thanks everyone......love the 4 blade!!!!!!!
W4lleye
Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Ahhh.  Mine cuts like butter, but this is great info.  When i have some extra fun money i might get a set just to have 1.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #47 on: Aug 19, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Good work Filetandrelease  :thumbsup: :clap: ,way to help a fellow member out. I agree Bowski76 it is an interesting design using both chipper and shaver style blades on the same cutting head.
Steve

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Aug 19, 2017, 04:14 PM »
X2 filetandrelease, I have seen a few of those posts but you definately found some new ones. Thanks. It is a very different design & can be spendy replacing blades. Looks like $70-$80 for a full set of 4 blades.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #49 on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Hey Agronomist, I kinda zipped thru the last page and a half but the suggestion of drilling a bigger hole with a smaller bit ain't that far off. I fished by a guy last year that had an 8" k-drill on a MKE drill. We were next to each other most of the day. He was very friendly and I got an eyeful of his drill. Even got to run it for a few holes.

Drilling a three-leaf clover is dirt easy with the K. If you wanted bigger with an 8 or even 6" drill it would be EZPZ. Maybe you don't need that 10 after all. Even drilling thru old holes is stupid easy.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Hey Agronomist, I kinda zipped thru the last page and a half but the suggestion of drilling a bigger hole with a smaller bit ain't that far off. I fished by a guy last year that had an 8" k-drill on a MKE drill. We were next to each other most of the day. He was very friendly and I got an eyeful of his drill. Even got to run it for a few holes.

Drilling a three-leaf clover is dirt easy with the K. If you wanted bigger with an 8 or even 6" drill it would be EZPZ. Maybe you don't need that 10 after all. Even drilling thru old holes is stupid easy.

For the wheel house a clover leaf in a floor hole would suck trying to do

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:27 PM »

Already brought up the clover leaf hole earlier. But it's a little hard to do once the shanty is in place and are bound by the floor of the fish house..  by the way argonomist  did you get the 10 inch mora  the guy private messaged you about?? If not I will still keep a eye peeled for one..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #52 on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:45 PM »

Already brought up the clover leaf hole earlier. But it's a little hard to do once the shanty is in place and are bound by the floor of the fish house..  by the way argonomist  did you get the 10 inch mora  the guy private messaged you about?? If not I will still keep a eye peeled for one..

Sent an email to the guy haven't heard anything....guessing he doesn't want to ship it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Sent an email to the guy haven't heard anything....guessing he doesn't want to ship it.

Ok.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #54 on: Aug 21, 2017, 10:07 PM »
I also got a response from k-drill that they won't be makinag a 10in.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Aug 24, 2017, 02:53 AM »
I also got a response from k-drill that they won't be makinag a 10in.

Sent you a pm about a good price electric auger that I know comes in a 10 inch  might be worth a shot might not? Depends on how good the power head is?? But the price is really cheap if it's a good power head..

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Sep 22, 2017, 12:25 AM »
So I just keep thinking about this thread and have been keeping an eye out for a 10in mora hand crank around here. What color were they? I'm guessing blue like all the other older hand cranks. Did they have the wing nut type bolt that held them together, so you got 2 separate pieces when it is removed?  I've seen what I thought was a 10in but it folded in half and didn't come apart. I also came across a black one that didn't look to have any type of attachment in the center so either the handle unscrewed out of the auger bit or it was a one piece. It only looked to be an 8in anyways. Here's some pics of the ones I'm talking about

This is the one i think looks like a 10in but its a little ways from me and cant decide if i want to go take a look at it with out knowing more about it

and the one that looks like a one piece

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #57 on: Sep 22, 2017, 07:23 AM »
I know the 10" mora I saw years ago had the old screw in attachment not the wing bolt,the 10" mora is blue.i don't believe any of the 10"moras are of newer style but vintage for  sure.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Sep 22, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Thanks dr, I figured it would probably be blue. Do you happen to remember what handle type? The 1st one in the pics I put up has a straight handle, I see alot of the mushroom type and not to many straight ones
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Sep 22, 2017, 11:52 AM »
My suggestion would be to try and find replacement blades for the auger, before buying the auger...

Needing blades on a used auger is pretty much inevitable..

I'm always astonished by the fact if you are selling a Mora style auger on Craig's list, it must be illegal to sell it with the blade guard. I think to even be allowed to post it, it must have had the guard lost, at a minimum of ten years...

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.