The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hook 3x help  (Read 2372 times)

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
Hook 3x help
« on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Hey guys and gals,
So I bought some electronics finally. I bought the hook 3x all season sonar. The instructions for setting up the finder are not too descriptive. I have played around with it on the ice and I can see the jig on the screen. However I can't really distinguish a fish. I was fishing in 16.5' of water so I put the range out to 20'. Sensitivity was on 60%,  fish ID off of course. On a frequency of 200 kHz, with the fastest ping speed set. The only way I could tell if there was fish down there was when a fish swam up to my jig and I had a massive take down, landed a 24" bow. The screen blew up with a big yellow blob. Am I doing something wrong to not see the "arches" like in simulator mode that represents fish swimming by? Any tips that you guys have that I might be doing wrong, or how I should set it up would be greatly appreciated! Tight lines and May your beer be cold!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Hook 3x help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:08 AM »
just guessing...sensitivity too high? Seems high...never used this device but did it take 60% sensitivity to see your jig?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:49 AM »
The arch's that show in simulator mode are simulating a moving boat, so as you drive up on the fish the return starts to show untill it peaks once your right above then weans off as you move off the fish. When your using a graph in a stationary position there will be no arches. Your see a constant return as bottom and a mark as your jig. Anything that shows up that isn't the constant is a fish or bubbles etc. 

As far as settings, make sure you have scroll speed turned all the way up also. I usually crank my sensitivity to 100%, then slowly back down untill I can no longer see my jig. I'll note that sensitivity rating, then slowly crank the sensitivity untill the screen starts to clutter and back it off slightly from there.

There are several other things that you'll learn as you use the unit and pick up on the various quirks and qualitys along the way.

For a quick reference on basic setup, scroll speed at 100%, depth setting as close to your depth of water as possible. I would put surface clarity and noise rejection at 0/off unless your fishing near the surface or other fish finders. Both surface clarity and noise rejection reduce the overall sensitivity and you'll need to increase your sensitivity level to adjust for the change if your using either of those features.

If you have anymore questions be sure to ask. I am 100% graph mode all the way, and have fiddled with several

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:16 PM »
I put the sensitivity to about 60% to see my jig. I was seeing what I am assuming was bubbles on the surface directly below the ice. My jig was a solid bluish/ red line as the instructions said it would be. Every so often I would have a line of blue about 4' off he bottom. I assumed it was a fish, but wasn't sure. It said it should be a yellow line. Was this indeed a fish? Or just a random piece of debris/ bubbles? I'm new to electronics on the ice, but on the boat I am fairly good with them.

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:37 PM »
one more quick question. Should the transducer be sitting just below the ice? Or should it be sitting at the top of the hole. I put it just at the edge of the ice. The blue lines that I thought were fish were decent sized on the screen. I was assuming they were trout swimming by, but the blue color threw me off.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2017, 03:36 PM »
If the marks that you saw didn't rise up or go down, they just showed and disappeared as at one level I would assume it was some sort of interference. Don't worry about the specific colors, that will change depending on the sensitivity level. The higher you have it cranked and the better return your picking up usually results in solid red marks. The best way to get it dialed in is to go to where you will get some steady perch action and let her rip, you'll figure things out fairly quick. I usually put my transducer about halfway down the ice thickness, but you will definitely see differences based on where the transducer hangs in relation to the bottom of the ice. No matter what usually the top 5 feet under the ice is typically all clutter. I'm usually fishing bottom so I don't worry about that. You may find some useful YouTube videos that will do a better visual explanation along with description. I know I did when I first got into electronics.

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I'll definitely try to figure it out!

Offline Baconator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:25 PM »
I'm not familiar with this unit either, but your transducer should be below the ice.

Offline MNpup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2017, 01:25 PM »
This video might help you out a bit. The Elite 3x is basically the same unit.
&t=3s

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2017, 02:19 PM »
I saw that video, I'm going to the local pond today to give it another whorl before heading back out to the big waters tomorrow.

Offline Montanaclan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2017, 04:50 PM »
I just pulled my small Garmin Striker 4dv off the putt-putt and rigged it on a PVC arm to put through the ice.   You're seeing the right stuff - nothing then an occasional blob when a fish comes in .  Couple things to remember - you're not moving, so you won't see the classic arch.  That's from passing over a fish while moving, but under a stationary hole, a fish is suddenly in that cone and may hang there for a few seconds, or more.  So it will look like a blob, but a distinct blob from the bottom.  Also, think about your frequency and sonar cone angle.   Higher frequency = higher resolution but tighter cone (narrower cone angle), so less of the bottom.  Lower frequency punches down deep (think several hundreds of feet) but has lower resolution and much broader cone, so you're seeing much more.   Play with your frequency settings and see what you get.  Good luck!

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:58 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys. What a difference the world of electronics has taught me. Managed to ice 18 bows and 8 suckers last night. I would target them as they pass and adjust my depth and then BAM! FISH ON! I caught so many and missed many more that I ran out of bait and then it got challenging to catch them off just a pimple, but managed 3 more before the bite ended at dark. I think I have the electronics down and this is an excellent device. I would highly recommend it for below the ice. Excited to see how it works on the boat this summer since it is an all season fish finder. It will test my skills of using it on open water, but I'm sure I'll figure her out. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it! See you on the water and may your beer be cold!

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Electronics.   Don't leave home without them!!!!!!

Tight lines everyone

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.