Author Topic: Tip up selections  (Read 20079 times)

Offline SDbuckmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tip up selections
« Reply #90 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:37 PM »
Beaver dam for me

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #91 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:15 PM »
For what its worth, my fifteen forty-up tipups were handed down to me from my father...he purchased them USED in 1973.   They still catch fish to this day.   they have never failed, and never needed any maintenance.  http://40uptackleco.com/

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #92 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:26 PM »
I had a couple of these in the mid and late 70's. They worked quite well. I would think they would be yard sale treasures.
Thread killer

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:43 AM »
In over 50 years of "walking on water" I've tried just about very type of tip up out there...

every one of them had at least one quality I liked.. and most had qualities I disliked ( even if it was only the cost)... I used 40 ups for years...my basic design was a beefier version of them...I used jack trap triggers... beefed up and redesigned the spools of the 40 up... my spools hold 300 yards of line and backing ...the weight of the line filled spool has a "fly wheel" effect it makes tripping  and spool rotation fluid ..the spools ride on a nylon bushing to keep them smooth and eliminate chatter... I also have made the spools interchangeable... a large tangle goes in the box to be dealt with at home.. and a new spool is installed in just a few seconds.... I used the wind deflectors from the laker style traps... the  flag spring is from from the 40 ups.. flags are from the polar tip ups.. love that bright orange.....cross pieces and uprights are made of rock maple... soaked in a 60/40 mixture of urethane  and mineral spirits and then painted hunter green... the lower half of the upright is wrapped with black electrical tape to absorb UV rays and prevent the tip up from freezing in...... the high brace had a spacer block on each end to keep the tip up from rocking....I don't have any pictures here at work... I provide some in the future if needed..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
« Reply #94 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:42 PM »
I have been using Beaver Dams for the last 15 years or so.  Don't intend on going back to anything else ever.  Tough as nails.  I just regreased  mine even though they weren't that bad. 
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.