Author Topic: Tungsten jigs  (Read 3860 times)

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tungsten jigs
« Reply #30 on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:45 PM »
The drop speed you get with a tungsten jig is a game changer.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • I'd rather be Fishing!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:03 AM »
rather than copy and paste my thoughts i wrote them here.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347680.msg3702574#msg3702574

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:55 AM »
There selling epoxy tungsten for around $3 at link be low with others going for around $6  some as low as .89 cents see link..

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/search/search_key:Heavy%20Metal

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:50 PM »
But if both weigh the same how can one be heavier?   ::)

Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:51 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Not heavier... denser; same weight but smaller size.  Equals less resistance falling through the water.  Kind of like dropping a 1/64 oz. feather vs. a 1/64th oz. pebble.  In a vacuum, they fall at the same speed.  In air, the resistance slows the feather.  And water offers more resistance than air.

Anyway, I just bought a selection of tungsten jigs and found the more expensive ones (Nils) were much better quality than the cheaper ones (Northland).  There's nothing worse for a guy with aging eyes than having to take a pin and try to clear the tough powder coat paint out of the hook eyes on #14 jigs.  The Nils tungsten jigs are a thing of beauty.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:31 PM »
no he seemed confused the a 3mm tungsten jig wouldn't weigh more than a 3mm lead jig which it is.  like 1.7 i believe.

i bought some tungsten 3/8 oz jig heads for walleye fishing.  they cost 3 bucks a piece.  they were smaller than a typical 1/4 oz jig head.  they were amazing. but like with any type of jig fishign for walleye, they eventually got lost.  when fishing the dam scour holes, other boats were amazed i could keep what appeared to be a 1/4 oz jighead in control when they were struggling with their 3/8/-1/2 oz jigs. 

anyway,

i will also say.  people paying 4 bucks for a single tungsten jig, is freaking nuts.  i dont' care how pretty it looks. 

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:18 AM »
I guess you could equate a jig box full of $3-$4 tungsten jigs to a tackle box full of $3-$4 crankbaits for soft water fishing or a box full of Mepps. How many of those have we all lost in a river?

A quality $3 tungsten jig, to me, is just a far better tool than a .60Ę lead jig. The angler has so much more precise control over the jig. They basically do all the things you wish would happen when a light lead jig is frustrating you.

Profile, action, jigging cadence, and drop speed (fast or slow) can go a long way when coercing smart fish into biting and tungsten jigs help me accomplish those things much better than traditional lead jigs. I donít mind giving up $3 a jig for that. They also pull great double duty under a float in the warmer months and with Fiskas new long-shank and heavier weights, they become rather versatile all year long.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:37 AM »
i can see that justification but we are talking a 15 cent hook ( a good vmc) soldered to a 30 cent piece of tungsten with a splash of paint.  a fraction of what it costs to build a crankbait.  now some of the paint schemes are wildly amazing and i'm sure that labor is what drives these prices but i think we are buying pretty things because they are pretty to us.  I have a slug of bratner jigs and my fiskas catch just as many fish with "lesser" paint schemes. 

i'm all for buying what you want.  i've bought all sorts of absurd crap that was overpriced. but i didn't argue that tungsten wasn't better than lead.  i can find 1.50-2.00 tungsten jigs that are painted in all sorts of colors and glows that suffice.

for me this is more a yeti vs rtic type of deal.  they are basically identical yet one is twice the price and people will pay that just to say they could/did. 

Online Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:58 AM »
There is a difference in mainly the hooks, ďsticky sharpĒ is what Iím after, like the fiskas for example. Do u have to pay that much for a jig, no, but u get what u pay for !! Will they all catch fish?  Yes they will, whatever your wallet, and mind can afford, like u say they all will work , just some better than others !!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2017, 12:00 PM »
There is a difference in mainly the hooks, ďsticky sharpĒ is what Iím after, like the fiskas for example. Do u have to pay that much for a jig, no, but u get what u pay for !! Will they all catch fish?  Yes they will, whatever your wallet, and mind can afford, like u say they all will work , just some better than others !!

i guarantee that the hooks in bratner jigs is not sharper than the fiskas and like clam jigs. 

i bought some .50  cent tungsten jigs when they first came out.  man were we excited.  we'd bring up hooks with no more tungsten on them, broken hooks.  it was hilarious.  thats when i was like we got to spend the money.  but ultimately all these other products ont he market, C&J, fiskas, clam started coming out wiht them, they are pretty much identical to the 4 dollar tungstens.  maybe not as intricate with the paint but i dont' think that matters. 

Online Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I find out the best jig I have is usually the one that has the paint wore  off, and is a gray color! Color is most of the time over emphasized

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Well, the thing with tungsten jigs is that ALL of them are either made in Russia or China because thatís where the refineries are that are capable of smelting tungsten and Iím pretty sure that most tungsten comes from that part of the world. It takes an immense amount of heat for tungsten to melt. Depending on the refinery, quality can be significantly different from each. Thatís where you see cheap tungsten jigs that fall apart and have bad finish. Cheap tungsten, cheap hooks, cheap paint, cheap labor.  When jig sellers shop around for quality tungsten suppliers it really shows in the end product. Usually, these jigs are imported bare and are then hand painted and finished here in the States by the final seller. You get better bare jigs, better attention to finish detail/durability, and an overall better end product.

Now......does any of this matter to the fish?.......not a bit. However, as a consumer, it matters to me and my wallet a lot. Quality tackle is a must for any angler in all price ranges. For me, Iíd rather buy something once thatís a little pricey than buy something several times because itís cheap.

Online Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Not sure but I thought I read the melting point for tungsten was around 3500* correct me if Iím wrong. Thatís why they solder the hooks onto the tungsten

Offline ice dawg

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:42 PM »
I think the melting point of Tungsten is close to 6,200 degrees.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Online Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:48 PM »
The hooks canít withstand that temp, or they would all be brittle , hence the soldering

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Melting point 3410 Celsius  + or_ 20 degrees. My conversion table only goes to 2482 Celsius = 4500  Fahrenheit. Sorry.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:08 AM »
yeah they all have to solder it on after the fact or just buy the whole thing in bulk hook and all.  the difference being even the most expensive paint and expensive hook we are talking a matter of cents, not dollars.  i've had bratner jigs fall apart and hooks break occasionally too. 

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Melting point 3410 Celsius  + or_ 20 degrees. My conversion table only goes to 2482 Celsius = 4500  Fahrenheit. Sorry.

Google tells me that is 6170 Fahrenheit  ;D

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:34 AM »
I would think all the tungsten jigs are made in Russia or China.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.