New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Honeoye lake BS thread  (Read 133717 times)

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Honeoye lake BS thread
« Reply #600 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Wish I could see the cam. It's snowed over.  I'm sitting in the clam in my garage.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #601 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:23 AM »
JPG I'm with you on that.  I have a brandie new Frabill recruit I got for Christmas last year and have yet to use it.  I'm putting the canvas on her today.  If the camera comes up I may do the same as you.  Ill reline my reels while I'm in it and watch the Bills game.  lol  God I'm pathetic
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #602 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:57 AM »
I was going to set my new single man up today but shipping was delayed.  I do have to hang a heater in the garage. Maybe I'll get off my butt and do it.  Besides, my jigs won't go through my cement...

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #603 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Funny...I just began assembling my new Clam Kenai Pro yesterday. Got to “step 5” in the manual and had to stop there because of missing parts. Not cool.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #604 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Where did get it from? I'd be pissed.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #605 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:31 PM »
Ok guys.  So not only do I wanna get the quad out there and cover more ground, but I'm thinking about spending a night for walleyes or crappie. Any thoughts on that?

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #606 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:35 AM »
I've done good on the Crappie by lantern light several times but no need to stay out all night. I just get out there and get set up by dark and fish until I've had my fill. Usually by like 10PM, and then I go home. I did the overnight thing one time and got one walleye but it was at twilight the next morning when she hit. I would've been just as productive if I'd just gotten out super early.  In fact, all the walleye I've caught through the ice on Honeoye have come early in the morning. I usually like to finish setting up while it's still dark and I get a fish or two right at twilight. After that, I switch over for perch. I do, in fact, plan to do an overnight for walleye next week....but not on Honeoye. I just think there's better water with bigger fish and with better odds than Honeoye for that kind of an investment of time, energy, and sleep loss.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #607 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Oh...and I got it from Field and Stream online. Seemed to be the best price as they were the only outlet I found that offered free shipping on that particular over sized product. I got an email out to them this morning. We'll see how they respond.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #608 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:51 AM »
I think I posted my my response to you somewhere else.  Either way. Thanks for the opinion on night fishing. Makes sense, I'll probably do that.  Honeoye is the closest spot I have to try for a walleye through the ice.  Are you going out of state for your trip? Are you staying in a portable or fish house? Sounds fun.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #609 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Well...if my missing parts arrive by Tuesday, I plan to use my new Clam. I'm still thinking of ways to get around the missing parts and still use it though. I'm looking at a couple of back bays off of the St. Lawrence by Massena and Ogdensburg (if safe conditions allow)....so yes, I'm staying in New York. I've already paid for a license in NY so that's where I'll fish.
Sincerely,
El Cheapo

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #610 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:38 PM »
My clam legend xl thermal just got delivered! :clap: ;D

Offline bigbay crappie buster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #611 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:35 PM »
so can anyone tell me what you guys are catching on the lake atm?
fill your buckets with quality not quantity and enjoy the conversations over heard of how good a fisherman you are................... ....

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #612 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:27 PM »
I've done good on the Crappie by lantern light several times but no need to stay out all night. I just get out there and get set up by dark and fish until I've had my fill. Usually by like 10PM, and then I go home. I did the overnight thing one time and got one walleye but it was at twilight the next morning when she hit. I would've been just as productive if I'd just gotten out super early.  In fact, all the walleye I've caught through the ice on Honeoye have come early in the morning. I usually like to finish setting up while it's still dark and I get a fish or two right at twilight. After that, I switch over for perch. I do, in fact, plan to do an overnight for walleye next week....but not on Honeoye. I just think there's better water with bigger fish and with better odds than Honeoye for that kind of an investment of time, energy, and sleep loss.
ive heard stories about guy getting crappie through the ice here, but never personally seen it. South? north? trident?..sounds a lot like silver, youll catcha bag, but youll work all night for it

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #613 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Well...I think the fellas that work the south end for gills often get a few Crappie scattered in their catch during daylight hours. Nighttime I’ve had the best luck northwest corner but I don’t have a machine and I’m not as mobile as some. If I can get out from Sandy Bottom that’s usually my first choice.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #614 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:05 PM »
I hope it gets thick enough for the atv this year for that same reason.  Has anyone here tried that new clam pro tow hitch?

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #615 on: Dec 18, 2017, 11:19 PM »
For anyone that made it out already how did you guys do?  Not looking for any spots, just curious how the bite was.  I'm getting the itch I can't wait to get out there!!!!

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #616 on: Dec 19, 2017, 01:49 AM »
For anyone that made it out already how did you guys do?  Not looking for any spots, just curious how the bite was.  I'm getting the itch I can't wait to get out there!!!!

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #617 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Shhhh, I was out Saturday from about 2:30 pm until @ 5:00 and cought 26 fish! Went back out Sunday about the same time and only managed 11. Now just waiting for the ice again!
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #618 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:09 PM »
LOL.  I don't think they heard you.  You're good. :roflmao:

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #619 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Anyone get a chance to survey the damage that the last two days did?

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #620 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:15 PM »
who were the brave souls out there today lol. or the one guy on the west side?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #621 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Guess the ice was ok.  At least no one went in.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #622 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:24 PM »
YET!

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #623 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:04 PM »
Shhhh, I was out Saturday from about 2:30 pm until @ 5:00 and cought 26 fish! Went back out Sunday about the same time and only managed 11. Now just waiting for the ice again!

Nice at least you got into some 26 fish isn't a bad day at all for 2.5 hours.  I'll probably be out there sometime between the 27-29th can't wait judging by the long term forecast looks like we're going to have a good start to the season.  I mainly fish Chautauqua but I've been getting into honeoye for ice fishing the last couple years and love the lake bluegill are so fun to catch through the ice!!!! I was just looking at the regs for honeoye if I'm reading it right it says you can keep bass up until march 15. In I reading it right?  All the lakes my way bass are already out of season. 

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #624 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:22 PM »
I just looked it up to be sure.  That is correct.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #625 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:50 AM »
And for some strange reason, the bass in the ice season taste pretty good out of there. Right now there is a freezing rain hitting the lake and maybe changing over to all rain for a brief time. I hope tomorrow's forecast is wrong - 3-5" of heavy wet snow. I plan on enjoying Christmas and relaxing and not worrying about the ice conditions. Judging from the temperatures that are heading our way, there will be plenty of good ice there for a while.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #626 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Hey all. I mentioned a few posts back about fishing the northeast corner of Honeoye. I forgot to mention (and maybe it should be mentioned every time someone talks about launching out of Sandy Bottom) the GAS POCKETS. They're easy to spot at the earliest ice because there's open water with geese and ducks in them but once it ices over or snows over one could be in for deadly surprise. I THINK someone posted a google maps snapshot with the two spots identified. If anyone knows where that is, maybe we could get that toward the top of the thread.
Thanks and stay safe everyone.
-bob

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #627 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Nice at least you got into some 26 fish isn't a bad day at all for 2.5 hours.  I'll probably be out there sometime between the 27-29th can't wait judging by the long term forecast looks like we're going to have a good start to the season.  I mainly fish Chautauqua but I've been getting into honeoye for ice fishing the last couple years and love the lake bluegill are so fun to catch through the ice!!!! I was just looking at the regs for honeoye if I'm reading it right it says you can keep bass up until march 15. In I reading it right?  All the lakes my way bass are already out of season.

That's right! 5 bass limit! 4 of my 26 fish where bass.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #628 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:58 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=301505.msg3575066;topicseen#msg3575066

There is another link in this post that has the map

Hey all. I mentioned a few posts back about fishing the northeast corner of Honeoye. I forgot to mention (and maybe it should be mentioned every time someone talks about launching out of Sandy Bottom) the GAS POCKETS. They're easy to spot at the earliest ice because there's open water with geese and ducks in them but once it ices over or snows over one could be in for deadly surprise. I THINK someone posted a google maps snapshot with the two spots identified. If anyone knows where that is, maybe we could get that toward the top of the thread.
Thanks and stay safe everyone.
-bob

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #629 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:04 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.