Author Topic: bucktails  (Read 2136 times)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
bucktails
« on: Nov 19, 2005, 09:34 PM »
anyone use bucktail jigs?

I use white or yellow tipped with a crawler for eyes and have had some success

that is what my grandpop  and a fishing mentor... a guy named Homer  used successfully  for years

they do not seem as popular in modern walleye fishing

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: bucktails
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:52 AM »
open water fishing for walleye this summer I got 9 one day on a bucktail and bunny leech dropper rig using a spinning rod. The wind was blowing in really hard and it was really cold for the summer and hailing, the fish were cruising the banks and wanted a slow presentation. I had no tube jigs but used this which I found on the roaring fork river the week before. Used it and the eyes like it pretty good. Went back next week completely different conditions caught one more. I bet they would work well icefishing too; especially since you can get on top of the walleyes and don't have to worry about casting distance.
Good luck and tell me how it pans out.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2005, 03:27 PM »
Lindy fuzz e grubs are great walleye lures that have a soft plastic body and a marabou tail. They work great for walleyes and lakers tipped with a minnow head or piece of crawler.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2005, 03:54 AM »
Strange how we get away from things that always were successful in the past and I use bucktails for lakers but haven't much for eyes the past few years through the ice  as I have good success with other things but will try to remember to give them a shake again this winter tipped with a minnow tail and short stinger . I find too that most bucktails I buy I have to trim them back even with the turn of the hook and if i put a piece of minnow on I have to have a stinger in order to consistently hook a walleye because often they strike short on the bucktails .Good bait that works well . ;)

TD

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2005, 06:43 AM »
Agreed Trapper..I find alot of the tails are way to long and could use some personal hygene. I just give a qwick trim. I dont use them much myself by my father-in-law swears by them so I keep a couple on hand for him..not to mention if he is out fishing me I thorw one on.

I have seen some new airplane jigs with buck tails this year..It looks like a wierd presentation to me

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2005, 04:16 PM »
I bought 2 of these lures that are a tube jig, and bucktail included on it around the tentacles. Kind of like a tube jig bucktail hybrid. I bought them from sportsman's warehouse in grand junction. I think they are from the brand tubes and tails or whatever it is called.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.