The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Elligo Rainbows  (Read 2785 times)

Offline VT_troutbound

• IceShanty Rookie
Elligo Rainbows
« on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Anyone know the ice conditions up at lake elligo.  I have fished it in the summer and it's beautiful and so are the rainbows.  Typically i will fish on the southern end, but I've seen a lot of guys up by the access but they were mostly  catching pickerel and warm water fish.  I know there are a lot of rainbows in there, and they are really pretty.  Typically i fish for rainbows just under the ice but i've had zero luck there in the winter, maybe they are down deep.  Any info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Offline oldcatamount

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Elligo Rainbows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:33 AM »
I've only fished there in the summer (trolling for lakers). I went there once in the winter and fished the deep side and got nothing but, in the summer, I've seen some serious Lakers on the sonar! I usually head for Caspian when I'm up that way. I like Eligo though, it's easy to get to and has a good parking lot. May head there soon (depending on the weather).

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:42 AM »
I have a freind that has pulled some decent lakers out of eligo through the ice but am not sure just where he was fishing!

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Don't know about the ice conditions. But have taken some nice rainbows thru the ice in years past there. They are pretty fish dark backs, but bright red colors! Usually fish north west of the island right under the ice. Jigged smelt for bait! Good Luck!

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:41 PM »
wow
grew up near there and fish it a little when i was a kid but never serious...didnt know there was that many decent fish or smelt in there !

Offline VT_troutbound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I've actually never caught a smelt in Elligo or a laker for that matter.  Last time I was up there I was talking to someone and asked if they were getting any smelt and I was told there aren't any smelt in there.  Fish and Wildlife doesn't have smelt listed, not saying it means aren't in there but I've tried to get them, but with no luck.   The rainbows are really pretty though.

Offline vthonkerhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:55 PM »
i know some boys thay catch those big bows in there from 3 to 8 lbs!  they are the best bows around and yes there are some nice lakers in there.  i know there are only a few spots that those big bows are and have jigged a few monsters and one day caught 15 bows along with some giant suckers

Offline VT_troutbound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Getting the rainbow jigging?  With like a gold kastmaster or al's goldfish maybe.  I've caught rainbow after rainbow in the spring, but I have set up west side of the lake near the shore maybe a 1/3 of the way north up the lake.  There is some really deep water there, I'll have to get up there this weekend and check it out...3-8lb rainbows...wow must be beautiful.  Hope the ice is decent.  Thanks for the info.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:32 AM »
I've actually never caught a smelt in Elligo or a laker for that matter.  Last time I was up there I was talking to someone and asked if they were getting any smelt and I was told there aren't any smelt in there.  Fish and Wildlife doesn't have smelt listed, not saying it means aren't in there but I've tried to get them, but with no luck.   The rainbows are really pretty though.

Check the bow's bellies you should find smelt.

Offline Jamisonearley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Idk If anyone will get this because of the old post but I recently went night fishing up to eligo and was watching dozens of smelt through the hole all night. There deffently In there! Such little bits tho, couldn't catch em. Ill try harder for them next time so I can prove It!

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:16 PM »
How deep was the water where you were spotting the smelt???

Offline Jamisonearley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2017, 09:38 AM »
We were at the deep end, around 60-80’. I shined a light down the hole and they were everywhere! Couldn’t get any bits tho

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:00 AM »
Eligo has lots of smelt... there is usually a shack out by the hump, that guy catches them apparently as there are always dead ones around the ice by his shack. I have never targeted them there, but have caught a couple randomly jigging.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.