Author Topic: frabill speed shak  (Read 2084 times)

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
frabill speed shak
« on: Jan 11, 2005, 12:22 PM »
lookin for input on the frabill speed shak cub, im lookin to get a shanty i can stand up in but 1 thats not to heavy, i currently have a fishtrap guide that i really like . but with a bad back its tough getting in and out etc. i know ill have to sacrifice pullability for room . i was wondering about the quality etc. if anyone has 1. any info appreciated. youngster
youngster

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Re: frabill speed shak
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2005, 07:50 PM »
youngster,
I have use a speed shak for years. I like the sturdiness of the hut. I built a sled out of old ski's so it would pull easier. I still have it for a back up or for taking new people or friends that do not own a shack.
This year I moved up to an Otter Mag. Village. I love this thing because all of my gear fits inside the tub (had to bungee everything on the speed shak)
I made a few of my own modifications, but all in all it is a good product.
my .02 hope this helps,
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2005, 07:33 AM »
youngster,
I have use a speed shak for years. I like the sturdiness of the hut. I built a sled out of old ski's so it would pull easier. I still have it for a back up or for taking new people or friends that do not own a shack.
This year I moved up to an Otter Mag. Village. I love this thing because all of my gear fits inside the tub (had to bungee everything on the speed shak)
I made a few of my own modifications, but all in all it is a good product.
my .02 hope this helps,
Wyo Ice
thnxs wyoming ice, i was wondering about the seam over center of roof. i can see daylight when i look up at it from inside. doesnt water leak there when raining out.  i emailed their service and she says its pretty water proof other than a downpour. i dont know . doesnt seem like a good place for a seam. im really thinkin of tryin it other than that.the price seems right for 279.    thanks for the info youngster
youngster

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2005, 08:15 AM »
youngster,
I have resealed my hut once since I have had it. I just use Thompson's Water sealer.
I use this on all my wall tents and anything that is canvas. Works great !!!
I would not worry about seeing daylight (unless the one that you saw was made wrong). I will set mine up and see if I can see daylight. I know that mine has kept me warm and dry in some pretty nasty weather.
If it is cold and you run a propane heater, that puts out a lot of heat, your hut will sweat in the inside. This is one of the downsides from using propane heat. I have found that if I run my heater so I am just comfortable, the sweating does not happen.
Also make sure that you vent your shanty while running your heater.This is stuff that you might already know.Sorry if that is the case.
As I said, the Speed Shak is a tough shanty and easy to set up.
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2005, 04:39 PM »
thanks wyoming ice ,,,,,,  i ended up with a clam 5600  hahaha i know what a dif in weight and size  eh? anyway i seen a bunch of shaks all set up and seeing as ive had the guide i was partial to clam i guess. i know itll be a pain gettin it out but with a bunch of grandkids etc. i figured the room would be good...  im hopin i can make a sled to drag.  ??? hopin haha  now all we need is some ice. been out 4 times so far and am really gettin the bug. this rain is killin me. thnxs again youngster :tipup:
youngster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.