The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Salmon  (Read 847 times)

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
Salmon
« on: Jan 09, 2010, 01:32 AM »
So, I've never fished for salmon through the ice, but I've got a few opportunities to do it this year and I'm planning on gettin er done! Anyways, I was wonderin if anyone had any tips? What to use, where to go (relatively close to Helena but also in the Northwest part of the state bc I'll be makin a trip or two to Lake Mary Ronan) etc. Any help is always appreciated!

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
Re: Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:15 PM »
The only salmon (kokane) that I know of around helena is the regulating res, holter and 1 or 2 at hauser
Like using a dropper rig but it seams alot of people use glow hooks with a magget.
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline trout bum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:02 AM »
I've been using a small glow brite jig with 3 to 4 maggots and lowering it to a depth so i can still see the glowing jig (depends on clarity of the water) and look down the ice hole watching the glow brite as you jig it, salmon may come in slow or streak by and you'll only see a ghostly shadow, if they are there when you see a hint of a bite set the hook, don't be discourage if it doesn't set and it swims off more than likely it will be back and others, it's exciting to watch the number of fish that you will see including trout looking through the ice.  this works good for me @ Georgetown Lake Good Luck.

SORRY...I forgot to mention the type of glo brite i use, it's a RATSO in glo brite and i hang it at a 90 degree to the line, be sure to check it after a strike to keep it @ a 90 degree 

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:31 PM »
a bunch of us are going to hit lake mary ronan tonight for kokes i'll let you know in the morning
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.