Author Topic: Funny story for all to laugh at...  (Read 1781 times)

Offline readyforsomeice

• IceShanty Rookie
Funny story for all to laugh at...
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:03 PM »
OK this is my first post on here and I figured I would give everyone a laugh. I headed out today for the first time this year. Decided to pack light and just take a few tips up and one jigging rod. Threw everything I needed in two orange 5 gallon buckets stacked. I then had a bucket of shiners and my auger in the other hand. Bundled up like an Eskimo and I drove out to Tyler Lake, where thanks to the reports on here I knew had plenty of ice. I then Headed to the northwest cove in the weeds about 75 yards from the State boat launch. Placed my gear bucket down on the little snow patch on the ice and drilled a hole in about 7-8 inches of black ice, grabbed my rigged up jigging rod and placed the auger behind my gear bucket to help it stay put. started jigging..... 15 seconds later I hear my bucket tip over in a huge gust of wind. Oh no.... there it goes racing South down the lake at 20-30 MPH! I start to jog after it hoping to catch it...

No way, not happening. The bucket continues to gain speed and rocket (with all my gear in it) towards the opposite corner of the lake. I stopped and just laughed at myself. I then proceeded to hike to the other side of the lake to get my gear. I was so embarrassed/tired/discouraged/afraid it would happen again that I packed up and left when I got back to my auger and bait bucket.

So almost 2 hours on the ice. 15 seconds of fishing. No fish. Can't wait to try again tomorrow! I hope there is a little less wind!

I hope everyone that reads this gets a nice chuckle! For I sure felt like a fool!

Its gotta get better from here on out! Right?

Offline Squirtx16

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Funny story for all to laugh at...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:13 PM »
yeap thats funny

Offline Lookin Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:13 PM »
Good story...but don't worry, everyone on here probably has a funny/embarrassing story.

Welcome to the shanty!

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:27 PM »
Great story!! Very funny and it has happened to all of us. Welcome to the shanty.
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:39 AM »
Yup, Chairs, buckets, lids, and hats. It was so windy one day the tip ups blew out of the holes.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:45 AM »
i watched my buddy's portable shanty prove just how portable it was- twice in one day! the tip-ups were blowing out of the holes too.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline thehopehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:51 AM »
Last year i was out with a old phone company style hub style tent we use to repair phone pedastles with.  It was calm as could be when the wind picked up and next thing I know 25 mph wind gusts.  the wind got underneath it and tore it to bits before i could even get it down.

Offline atvjumpers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I think were gonna need a bigger hole !
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:57 AM »
what kind of ice fisherman doesn't have a left handed wind shifter ?????      

lol

good story i can definitely relate to that....lol

welcome to the board

i had my kids in my shanty go across congomond with my two kids in it a long time ago scared the heck out of me my kids were not even phased and thought it was fun........ now i tie it down (no not the kids the shanty)lol

atvjumpers

Offline readyforsomeice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:49 AM »
Thanks guys, this site has been a real great wealth of knowledge for new spots and safe ice! I am still getting back into the swing of ice fishing, use to go a lot with my father when I was younger. I moved down to FL for 5 years and now that I am back up in the cold I am embracing it. Still looking to pull my first Pike through the ice.

I also work nights So anyone else looking to have a newbie tag along some day during the week. Let me know!

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:22 AM »
i was out at winchester lake last year, we walked out across the north forty in a 30 m.p.h. head wind. when we got there my face was red from being wind burnt. i decided to start my stove pipe stove. i put in the charcoal and fire starter. placed it behind my sled to keep it out of the wind. i turned to start drilling my holes for my tip-ups, about half way through my first hole here comes the wind. it takes my sled and slams it into the stove knocking it over and takes the charcoal and turned them into hockey pucks. i go running back to save the stove it's self. i get to it in time, only had to run 15 feet. my partner comes back from setting his traps, and asks what happened so i tell him. now here's were it get funny, he has this plastic slash scooper. the wind picked it up and takes it across the lake. we're looking for it and then he says oh their it is I'm like were he points to the other side of the lake. i don't even know how he saw this thing but he walk,  all the way to the other side of the lake just to get this plastic scoop. he had to have walked an extra mile that day. we did laugh at the time, it really is and was funny.

nice to have to have ya here

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:00 AM »
My brother and I used to tie a tarp to our ankle, and hold the other end up on our club pond !  Freakin scream down to the other side about a mile ,  where my mom would pick us up  and bring us to the start again!   ;D

Offline fishing24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beats the hell outa sittin home
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:02 AM »
My brother and I used to tie a tarp to our ankle, and hold the other end up on our club pond !  Freakin scream down to the other side about a mile ,  where my mom would pick us up  and bring us to the start again!   ;D

P. Dona that sounds like alot of fun i'll have my son tied to a tarp the next windy day out there he'll love that sh*t

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Ah, the wind is my biggest enemy. Last year it flattened my tip ups and even managed to tip over my minnow bucket!

During spring a couple years ago my sister and I were fishing on a bridge over a pond the wind blew the lid to our nightcrawlers into the water. My sister pulled off her shoes and socks to jump down and retrieve the lid. As she was climbing back up the bridge another blast of wind blew her socks into the pond.

That should have taught us to keep our shoes on but later that year I took off my flip flops and had one blow into the pond. By the time I saw my flip flop it was too late, it had been blown too far away and I could only watch this bright green flip flop floating across the pond. :-/

Offline chadroc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:23 PM »
the wind blows.  literally. 
couple years ago when i was first getting into the ice i had a day off from work in february and though i could not get anyone to go with me i was hellbent on ice fishing.  plus there was snow coming and i thought it would be so peaceful with the snow coming down and a nice fire burning and many many fish iced.  got to mashapaug in an absolute blizzard howling wind, little visibility.  could barely walk.  could not breath.  walked backwards dragging my ragged sled.  finally could not walk anymore and set up my fire pit.  getting a fire going in that weather was a project in and of itself.  probably took an hour but figured i'd need it.  drilled first hole.  painful.  2ft of ice and a hand auger.  looked back at the fire.....my folding chair had blown into the pit and was engulfed in flames.  ran back, put the fire out.  singed and twisted chair.  turned around, my tracks to that first hole were gone, and i mean gone.  blustered over with snow.  first tip up, gone.  looked for at least a half hour.  totally confounding, i mean how can i lose it?  but gone it was.  turned around, fire has gone out.  curse loudly, pick up, go home.  3 hours "fishing".  no fish iced.  one lost tip up. 
if the trout are lost, smash the state.

Offline Squirtx16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:31 PM »
We were fishing an ice derby ( jig n pig) a kid who was there with is father was sitting in a jet sled while holding another sled and the wind took him for one hell of a ride. We was movin pretty good

Offline RIMike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wishin I was fishin
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:09 AM »
I was in Western MA last year,  set up my Clam2K, sitting out of the wind for a minute, when I felt a weird sensation.  i opened the zipper front to discover I was blazing down Onota, backwards.  Felt like a dunce, a party of ice fishermen were laughing hysterically.  Dragged it back like 1/4 mile to my tilts.  Spiked it down, and went for some lunch.  Unfortunately, my lunch was in a backpack that was also sent a ways down the lake.  Lot of walking done that day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.