Author Topic: ice rod of choice for walleye  (Read 14537 times)

Offline IBfishing04

• IceShanty Rookie
ice rod of choice for walleye
« on: Nov 28, 2015, 02:37 PM »
what action/length are you fellas useing when fishing for walleye?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice rod of choice for walleye
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:37 PM »
I got ht ice blues in medium action that the go to rod of choice for me ... I am sure there are custom action and custom rods out there... but I build my own and a $50 blank just don't make sense when the same thing for 9.99 does the same thing... and there are  50 other brands that sell 50  different actioned rods as well...  I found if I really want some thing I buy it when it is worth it to me...

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:42 PM »
32" M St Croix Premier rods are what I use for my walleye set up. Have caught one on my 28" ML Fenwick Elite Tech and that walleye put a pretty good bend in it. Walleye was only 16" though. The M Fenwick would probably be better.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:48 PM »
I run all st Croix and prefer the shorter versions for space in the shanty.  Caught a 38 inch northern two winters ago on my 24" st Croix legend, medium action and it handle it like a dream.  I run a premier and picked up an avid last year as well which is a great rod.  The avid is a pretty stiff unit you might be able to get away with a ML in this model?  I do have one Jason Mitchel M action walley rod wich is really nice as well. 

I have a buddy that runs all Medium action fenwicks and he really likes those.  So I guess my opinion is fenwick or Croix medium action. 

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:48 AM »
28"-32" medium action. From Gander Mountain to St Croix the cost of the rod really hasnt matterd, but your drag is very important on big eyes.

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2015, 08:13 PM »
I have 2 30" medium action graphite rods that I built. Fishing for panfish I never worried much about my reels and always went with something light after almost losing a decent walleye last night due to drag issues I think I'm gonna have to spend some money.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2015, 06:38 AM »
Action depends on the lures you're going to use which can depend on the size of the Walleye in your lake. Typically, ML-M action works just fine. If you're fishing larger Walleye (over 10lbs) MH is where it's at if you're needing to toss anything over 1/2oz to them. The biggest thing is to make sure the rod is a carbon or graphite blank. You DON'T want fiberglass blanks because you'll miss so many strikes by not feeling the bite. The length of the rod depends on the fish house you're fishing out of.

Me personally, I run M and MH action rods. My M's are 31" and my MH's are 32". I did that only so I can tell them apart.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2015, 06:55 AM »
32" M St Croix Premier rods are what I use for my walleye set up.

Same here, it works well on perch also.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:13 PM »
I have 2 St. Croix Premier's and a Fenwick AETOS.  All three are nice rods for jumbo perch and Walleye.

Offline VORK23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:31 PM »
Thorne bros walleye sweetheart 28 inch for inside a house and 36 for outside

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:00 PM »
I have a 44" M St Croix. Very nice

Offline rileys44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:39 AM »
Tuned up Customs 32" precision is very deadly for walleye!  It has a sensitive enough tip for the finicky bite but goes right to backbone.  The rod is amazing!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:33 PM »
I have a 30" DH Customs Perch Pounder that is a great rod. I would consider it a ML rod. I recently got a TUCR Commander (32") and that is  a great rod too. Its more of a M to MH rod, but it is sensitive enough that a 5" perch hit feels much bigger

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Any 32" or longer medium power or MH power rod will do for me. My favorite is the old Jason Mitchell 38" ice special spinning rod.  It's a fiberglass composite rod in medium power so it has more flex for those with a bit more finicky bites. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:45 AM »
IMO the best rods are the 13 fishing white noise in 26m or 28ml and they dont break the bank...i will be trying a ml 27" ticklestick this year though.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:47 AM »
I have a 30" DH Customs Perch Pounder that is a great rod. I would consider it a ML rod. I recently got a TUCR Commander (32") and that is  a great rod too. Its more of a M to MH rod, but it is sensitive enough that a 5" perch hit feels much bigger

How do you like the commander? Can it handle lakers? Feel free to pm me. Borderline ordering one. Any pics of the action would be great
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:58 PM »
How do you like the commander? Can it handle lakers? Feel free to pm me. Borderline ordering one. Any pics of the action would be great

I've never fished for lakers thru the ice, but I would bet that the Commander would have no problem. It has a lot of backbone but you can still feel a light bite. So far I've caught fish as big as a 17" walleye (so nothing big yet) and as small as a 5" perch on it. I believe the Commander is the heaviest
 rod TUCR makes

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I've never fished for lakers thru the ice, but I would bet that the Commander would have no problem. It has a lot of backbone but you can still feel a light bite. So far I've caught fish as big as a 17" walleye (so nothing big yet) and as small as a 5" perch on it. I believe the Commander is the heaviest
 rod TUCR makes
Sounds like the ticket, as I plan to use it for eyes too. Sometimes both eyes and lakers hit soft. Was worried about sensitivity. I'm confused on their power rating. I've read it's less than their power precision and I've read is the power on steroids. Nonetheless, it should serve my purpose. Love my bullwhip. Great company
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline liwalleye79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2016, 02:46 PM »
A 28" medium action Fenwick AETOS is a pretty versatile walleye rod at a medium price point.

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Another vote for the St. Croix Premiere 32" M. I have 3 of them

Offline GRWolverineFan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:55 AM »
I just picked up a 27" ML St. Croix Avid jigging rod and it is perfect.  Really sensitive and enough backbone to pull up bigger fish.

Offline AndRo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:46 AM »
What reel and line should i pair up with the Commander?

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:15 AM »
What reel and line should i pair up with the Commander?

I just use the Shimano Sienna on mine, but an upgrade to the Sedona would be better

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Jason Mitchell Gen7 Elites, 24" medium and 28" medium.  reeled up 45 walleyes in 2 days with these rods first trip out with them.  really like the sensitivity even though they don't have the fastest tip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.