Author Topic: NJ ice Fishing season is over  (Read 1896 times)

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
NJ ice Fishing season is over
« on: Feb 14, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Guy's we need to face it this year NJ ice fishing season is over  :'(. But you can still ice fish but you'll have to drive to NY so no more cry & go get you NY license for $40 & you might get four or more weekend's of good ice fishing out of it. Just look on the NY broad for help finding ice or on the DEC web site they have map's of most of the state lake's with-in a hour to two hour drive. From High Point NJ. One lake in NJ has safe ice is High Point. My friend fished it today they had 4 1/2 to 5 inches.
I'll be ice fishing this long weekend & next Sat to. If anyone want's to meet up just let us know .
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline wallygigger

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: NJ ice Fishing season is over
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:35 PM »
safe ice at stokes too fished it sat w/ 5 inchs of safe ice

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Thanks Shawn it worked!! I'll see you out there this weekend!  ;D

Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2006, 02:21 PM »
That's good I hope you still can get on this weekend after the next three day's of bad weather.Be safe stay on TOP.
Shawn
Tonight
Feb 14  Partly Cloudy
 N/A/25° 10% 
  Wed
Feb 15  Mostly Sunny
 47°/27° 20% 
  47°F
 Thu
Feb 16  Mostly Cloudy
 49°/39° 10% 
  49°F
 Fri
Feb 17  Rain / Wind
 46°/20° 60% 

MikeThePike

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2006, 02:22 PM »
Quite a few lakes in the Poconos have good ice too but a non-resident PA liscence is $52. Some of the smaller lakes may loose their ice for a few days (Fri & Sat) but its supposed to get cold again next week so they should be good for a while. If I had a choice between the 2 I'd choose the NY but then again thats only cuz of the fall salmon/ steelhead trips planned for this fall.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2006, 02:36 PM »
I was going to say PA to Mike But NY is kicking your guy's A$$ in the contest this year. We are going up for Salmon/steelhead Oct 7th to the 11th. On the salmon river

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Please don't dampen my hopes like that.
When the big snow fell on the 1/2" of ice on my local pond in central NJ, I was quite unhappy. Surprise, surprise! Today I walked on it!
The snow caved the ice in, then totally saturated, then froze from the cold on Monday night and the cold from the snow. It isn't over till it's over. :P
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:55 PM »
I am still holding on to all hope too....after a couple of kind of warm days it looks like from Saturday on it will be cold again...i am hoping against hope to ice fish in NJ on the weekend of the 25th...

MikeThePike

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2006, 04:16 PM »
I was going to say PA to Mike But NY is kicking your guy's A$$ in the contest this year. We are going up for Salmon/steelhead Oct 7th to the 11th. On the salmon river

NY also has many more lakes with good ice and many more guys entered.

I wanna go up for the salmon run atleast twice this fall but am not a big fan of Salmon River. Atleast not when we tried it last year. I'd rather fish the Oswego for the numbers of fish. Maybe we'll end up running into you guys up there.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:21 PM »
Salmon fishing is not for everybody.  I went to Pulaski only once and did not care for it.   A lot of guys shoulder to shoulder,  a lot of snagging going on  and the fish are not all that fresh anyways.   There are consumption advisories due to  heavy metal pollution.    I've seen some guys do it the right way and consistetly hooking up.  You can get a beautiful fight from a steahead if you're lucky.   If I brought a boat,  the estuary would be the place to go i figure.              J

MikeThePike

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:38 AM »
You got that right JAW. I'm going pretty much just for the chance to hook up and fight these powerful fish. It does get quite crowded, especially at the dam on the Oswego. 2 guys out of our group got steelies last fall. I am mostly gonna be trying for them when we go up but the salmon put up an amazing fight. I was sore for days after hooking up about every 5-10 minutes for a few hours.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.