Author Topic: Chubby Darter for Perch?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chubby Darter for Perch?
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Picked up a couple on sale. Any tips for the best way to attach them to the line(snap or direct tie) and how to jig them for perch?

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chubby Darter for Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:42 PM »
I use the tiniest snap available to attach to line. I tip center treble w/ waxie or spike & mostly deadstick it close to bottom...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Small snap but I change baits often if they're there and not into it. Chubby and Lindy Darters aren't that overly productive for Perch on my smallish local waters. Seem to like the slimmer profile of the JigginRap types but that's the primary shape of the minnies down there. Crappies, Bass and HammerHandles smack them very aggressively. 

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:43 AM »
i have one and have used a few times with very little succsess  they say they are great but i dont see it

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Does a great job at attracting them, but getting them to bite it is a little more difficult.  So you might want to have a second rod rigged with something smaller.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:51 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that not all great lures work everywhere,each lake has it's LURE so to speak,I can do good on a jigging rap on big crappie on one lake and my go to lake crappie run from it,they also run from the Chubby darter,but slam a clean Rastso and a Gill pill,water clarity may have something to do with it,stained water bigger bait profile,gin clear water small finesse baits.

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:41 PM »
I fish a place loaded with perch.  I use a fairily big perch colored darter with no bait and it attracts a lot of fish.  I fish it about 4 feet off of the bottom, there will be schools of perch that come through and they will all be below it.  Many of them come up and look at it, then go back down to the bottom.  Some smaller ones nibble at it.  The big ones come up and hit it hard.  It is a good way to kinda strain out the smaller fish.  Have got a few this year from 11-13in and even a 14. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.