Author Topic: Perch Rigs?  (Read 11807 times)

Offline eld

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch Rigs?
« on: Sep 11, 2010, 11:57 PM »
So I am pretty much new to ice fishing and will be taking my taking my 4 and 5 year old sons out this year.  One of the main species we will be targeting is perch and I'm not really sure what to use.  Does anybody have any pics of how they rig their baits.  I have heard of drop shot rigs and such but without seeing a picture having a hard time figuring it out.  Thanks

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Perch Rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Heres a pic of a really popular jig called a Hali.  This one you simply tie onto your line, and put some spikes or a waxworm on and start jigging with it.

http://www.theeyeshaveit.net/hali01b.jpg

depending on how deep of water you fish (4-8fow), you might want to try using a smaller teardrop jig with a spike or 2 on it.   deeper than that, you can put a split shot 6 inches above it, to help get the jig down.

Good luck this season!

Online slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2010, 10:26 AM »

A dropper rig is nothing more than a simple extension between the hook and the spoon/lure.  Here's is what I've done for my Forage Minnow Spoon and my Daredevle spoons.  It's not a true dropper because I tied it fairly short, but still longer than the split ring.  The dropper rig is popularized by the Hali lures and their dropper chains.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline eld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:33 AM »
So am I correct in assuming that by dropping the hook further away from the spoon that the spoon is used to attract them and hopefully they will investigate and find the bait you have on the hook?

Online slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:05 PM »
In a sense, that's part of it.  My primary focuse is because it allows them to take the hook easier.  That's why I don't use such a long dropper.  Big perch will attack the lure.  However perch have very weak inhaling power.  Almost like perch have poor eyesight and poor coordination...LOL's.

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Heres a pic of a really popular jig called a Hali.  This one you simply tie onto your line, and put some spikes or a waxworm on and start jigging with it.

http://www.theeyeshaveit.net/hali01b.jpg

depending on how deep of water you fish (4-8fow), you might want to try using a smaller teardrop jig with a spike or 2 on it.   deeper than that, you can put a split shot 6 inches above it, to help get the jig down.

Good luck this season!

Hali jigs are my go-to.  Load up with a couple of spikes.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2010, 03:37 PM »
My short post ended up in the quote box.  Please refer to the last sentence in the box.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline eld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2010, 10:05 AM »
I thought I would get more responses but I guess a lot of people might not be on the board until there is ice.  Thanks for everyones input and at least I have somewhere to start.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2010, 01:07 PM »
The easiest way for youngsters to catch perch would be with a tip up, IMO. HT Polars are reasonably priced and durable as well. There are a myriad of ways to rig, but a basic set up would be: braided Dacron main line, a swivel, and three to four feet of mono, or fluorocarbon. 6-8# will due unless the perch are really picky. Tie a hook on the end, and a split shot about 8-12'' above that. Bait with a fathead, or small shiner, unless you are fishing a lake with lots of really big perch. I use mediums as a rule, though I jig most of the time, and fish lakes with jumbos. Hook size and style are surely discussed somewhere on this forum, I tend to use no. 14, or no. 12 trebles. Good luck, and let us know if the kids have a good time.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2010, 02:58 PM »
From a guy who is able to keep 2 young Daughters out ice fishing without them losing interest....2 words......pickeral rigs.

With minnows or bait of your choice double hookups are common and the screeching and laughing heard when pulling up fish after fish is priceless.
    Some folks will probably say "2 hooks are twice as dangerous" but they are also twice as much chance to catch a fish and twice as much fun. They can be jigged or left alone, when shallow the kids can watch the minnows swim in circles until devoured by a perch.
   My girls are now 10 and 12 but have been ice fishing since 4 and 6.
   Biggest thing with kids is fun, food and warmth....in that order
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Online slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Too bad, out great state of 10,000 laws say...nadda chance for 2 hooks.  >:(  Or they say, with an expensive citation afterwards.

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I use swedish pimples with 2 or 4 pound test on the jig rods most of the time.   I tip with spikes or pinched minnowes.    However i fish for perch a lot with tipups rigged with #6 hookes and med shiners.   I love to watch the flags go up

Offline josef828

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2010, 12:22 PM »
I use a plain hook with a piece of worm and split shot 8" above with lots of success. i use a bobber too if i cant see the fish.

Offline perchhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Don't need a picture for this. I tie on big swedish pimples, dardevils, or anything with a big spoon. Some days a different color works more than others. I use 10# line because I pump it up and down so much I don't want it breaking. Now because of our great WI DNR rules I can only fish with 3 hooks so I snip off the barb end of the spoons hooks only leaving the hook shank and a small amount of the curved end. I then have a bunch of jigs tied up with 2-4# line  with a  loop tied at one end.  I use this end to make a slip knot that I put over whats left of the old treble on the spoon that I cut off.  The so called drop can very in length but about 4" works the best.  So now you have a big spoon with a drop jig tied on about 4" under that. You drop it hard on the bottom to make the bottom poof up. Perch are curious and will come in too check out whats ripping up the bottom as it's a sign of perch feeding and they don't want to be left out.  Even if you're in hard bottom, perch will come in fast to the big spoon but rarely will they eat it. They can see it far off and want to check it out.  When they see the nice tiny jig floating on air so to speak they just swallow it.  The nice part of the slip knot is if you break your jig off you can just slip knot a new one on fast. I catch 12-14 inch perch consistantly on this rig.  Last winter was the first for me using mainly yellow or red plastic tails on my jigs and they outproduced live bait. They just have to be small, 1/2 inch long. Good Luck

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2010, 01:44 AM »
My favorite go-to rig for perch is a small Jigging Rapala with the bottom treble hook removed.

I then put on a Hali chain, or tie on a small piece of Mono or fluorocarbon to a small ice jig.

I have found that the Chrome / Clown color works the best along with the Yellow / Red / Green  dropper

I really like this rig and it gets time in the water every trip.
It is heavy so that I can get it to the fish quickly, and they hit it pretty aggressively.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://myworld.ebay.com/piatu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:43 AM »
For perch small balanced jigs works quite fine when fishes have good activity, but pin pic is few more from my taclebox witch i use to perch at here:

By piatu at 2010-11-29

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Piatu,
     What a slide show !
    Very great detail.
     Well done.

Please show us only one fish rod.    Thank you.
                   Tom

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://myworld.ebay.com/piatu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Well little more about rods...

By Piatu at 2010-12-01

You dont need to use reel when you got fish, only put line between bars. Take fis and relese line from bars and you lure goes exactly same deep where it was earlier.

And line wont go knots/confused ;)

By Piatu at 2010-12-01

Its very useful when you fish over 5 meters deep.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:47 AM »
Very clever piatu.  Nice set-up.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:01 AM »
personally I am not much of a Hali fan anymore.  I know guys catch a lot of fish with them but I never seem to have much luck.  I stick with a Fatboy, or Genz bug, shrimpo's, and ratso's sometimes I will go to a buckshot but not very often, usually if the fish aren't biting and I get desperate. 

With the Fatboys, bugs, shrimpo's and ratso's I keep them bouncing.  I don't ever lifting them very high, in fact I would be hard pressed to say that they ever go higher than a half inch but they keep bouncing.  Dave Genz calls it pounding.  I have had more luck doing that than with any other type of presentation

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:35 PM »
just tie on a tear drop jig they are easy to use and you do not necessarily have to jig then i use them on tip ups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.