Author Topic: Eskimo quad chair....very first impression  (Read 3436 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Eskimo quad chair....very first impression
« on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:30 AM »
I ordered one of these sight unseen from Marine General.  They had a good price on it of $45 (most places are $69.99) so I took a chance on it.  The part that appealed to me was the rigid arms on a chair that folds up into a bag vs. folding flat like a directors chair.  I've fished out of regular lawn chairs with rigid arms and really liked them so I thought I'd try this one out.  It was delivered about 10 minutes ago to my house and I had a chance to take it out of the box and sit in it.  In terms of initial impressions, the chair is extremely comfortable.  It is really wide so if you have a fatter a$$ like I do and are wearing bibs, etc, it is really good sized.  The other thing I really liked was the solid metal (aluminum) arms on the chair.  Great to sit back and jig or lean forward on them.  Great for your back, etc.  I also have the Eskimo tripod chair (XL) and it is great for portability but it isn't that comfortable if you are sitting in it for more than an hour or so. 

The quad chair is beefy.  When it is folded up, it is probably twice the diameter in the bag of a normal fold up "bag chair".  Same length but twice as big around.  It is also probably 1.5 times the weight of a normal camp chair.  I'd recommend this chair for those that are going to be setting up a hub house and not moving around much. If you are looking for a more portable chair, I'd look at other options.  I'll update this review after I have a chance to get out and use the chair on the ice. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Eskimo quad chair....very first impression
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Thanks for the review. Got my first hub this season was kind of looking around for a new chair. Right now planning to use my catfishing chair, but planning on checking this one out.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:11 PM »
This is a great chair for a hub house or other styles where you have some room.  It has a pretty large footprint so i wouldn't recommend this for a 1 man flip.  You'll definitely need some space for this chair.  I'll get a tape measure out and measure the footprint after work. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:27 AM »
I sat in this chair at the retail store.  I was very surprise at the form fit function.  The whole motion of sitting down into it and getting off.  Solid arm rest felt so comfortable natural.  It could easily become my favorite chair, then the price shocker hit me.  ;D

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Update, found a nice sale price, so I own two of them now.  One for me, and one open seat if I get a fishing buddy at times.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Used mine for about 3 hours this past weekend. Excellent chair for the conditions. It was -13 when I set up my hub house over a crappie hole. Very comfortable. Not the chair I would pick for hole hopping but if you are a “stay put” and be comfortable sort, this chair is awesome. Very comfortable.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:48 AM »
yea, definitely has got some weight to it.  I guess that's the trade off.

Nothing beats a bucket for plain hole hopping.  Then again, I haven't been fishing with a bucket for some time now.  Might have to go back to that bucket for hole hopping.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Ok so can anyone tell me how much it weighs? Trying not to add too much weight. And I have not been able to find the actual weight in any of the adds.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Ok so can anyone tell me how much it weighs? Trying not to add too much weight. And I have not been able to find the actual weight in any of the adds.
Keep it safe! JDL

I fish scale weight one of them... 13# 4 oz.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2019, 12:59 PM »
I fish scale weight one of them... 13# 4 oz.
Thank you sir much appreciated! Pretty heavy but think I will get one anyway looks like a nice chair.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:53 PM »
After just using the chair around the house now and then, finding it to be very comfortable and sturdy.  It's nearly two years old and it's only seen light use form me thus far. The sitting down motion and the getting up from it is all good and with the arm rest that makes it even better.  Now for the real deal out in the field.  Yeah the best part of this chair is once again it's comfort, form, and function.  I admit that I used it to snooze for a long time while the bite was slow.  I wake up to seeing lots of red marks on the flasher and that was about it.   Now I wished that this chair had a head rest.  Compared to a lounger type of packable chair, that head rest is way useful.  Still ice fishing, one needs to get off the chair and down onto the ice hole and the Eskimo Quad chair allows me to do that easily.  So I how slept in the chair, turns out that I just slouched into my typical lazy sleep mode and then I was able to lean my head onto the side pole as such.  It worked out pretty well. 

The bad thing is bulk and size.  The footprint of the chair still takes up a lot of space.  It's not something that I would just throw into the Jet Sled.  Now when driving onto the lake and it's in the back of the pickup box, easy.  The arm rests are sturdy but there is some looseness in it.  In a way I like that it's plastic so it's not as cold to touch if I were to compare to metal.  Plastic is good too if it were to get wet and have to be wiped off.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2021, 04:01 PM »
I got one of these too after breaking a few tripod chairs.  Very comfortable, just get picked on for size/weight by the buds.  They are just jealous that I don't get my junk pinched all day anymore.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.