Author Topic: Outfitting ATV  (Read 2216 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Outfitting ATV
« on: Aug 29, 2021, 07:34 PM »
My 2022 Polaris Sportsman 570 Premium should be here in about a month. I have preordered the winch, blade, auger mounts/grips, hand warmers,
Hand shields, windshield, trickle charger, And tire chains. 

Any recommendations on:

1. helmets

2. Rear storage/second seat back (I’m aware of laws in various states).

3. Anything else?

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Outfitting ATV
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2021, 09:31 PM »
One of best things Ive done with my wheeler is order a Otter Outdoors Rear ATV Box.

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/rear-atv-box/

Mounted my rod box on one side and then a bucket carrier on the other.

Literally will care all my gear in the box which frees up room for everything else in the otter cabin being pulled behind.

The other piece that's been huge for me is my auger holder, Jaws of ice.

https://jawsofice.net/product/jaws-of-ice/

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2021, 01:40 PM »
The biggest problem with 4 wheelers is that they are a cold ride compared with a snowmobile. If you can find a windscreen that fits, it helps a lot, as do the covers that go over the handlebars that you stick your hands in. You can retrofit grip heaters under the grips and warm your hands as you ride. I used to commute 52 weeks a year on a motorcycle and they were much warmer than gloves, and you have better feel on the controls.
Snowmobiles also have a port for heated visors on helmets, which keep them from fogging. You could hook that in to a 12V port if you have one.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2021, 08:26 PM »
Anyone install the otter monster box on a new(er) polaris 570 sportsman? Hows install and can you still carry another rider?

Offline sylvain guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2021, 04:23 AM »
Yes on the sportsman 570. Drilled holes in the bottom and used rubber expanding plugs, like a boat plug. Yes 2 riders still fit. As for your hands I use a pair of rechargable heated gloves.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2021, 07:00 AM »
Some other options .. a dedicated nice auger rack or rifle rack may do .. also a good multi functional hitch . a good winching anchor is nice to have and hope to never use..you could probably fabricate one if your handy 

https://www.mooseutilities.com/category/14518

https://www.mooseutilities.com/category/14516

https://arcticanchor.com/products/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2021, 11:19 AM »
I have the heated grips being installed, along with the hand shields to deflect the wind, and a windshield. 

I am getting the KXP Rhino Grips on the front for the auger (Strike Lite).

Like to get the Otter monster box for storage of the vexilar, rods, tackle, bait cooler, etc.  As long as it installs well and can still have the second rider the price doesn't concern me. 

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2021, 11:38 AM »
Do they make "mudflaps" for Polaris sportsman ATV's to keep some of the snow from kicking back onto your flip shack when in tow?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2021, 11:39 AM »
I have the heated grips being installed, along with the hand shields to deflect the wind, and a windshield. 

I am getting the KXP Rhino Grips on the front for the auger (Strike Lite).

Like to get the Otter monster box for storage of the vexilar, rods, tackle, bait cooler, etc.  As long as it installs well and can still have the second rider the price doesn't concern me.

Hopefully you can find one local ..I know in the past shipping was horrendous..

Do they make "mudflaps" for Polaris sportsman ATV's to keep some of the snow from kicking back onto your flip shack when in tow?

A good shelter cover would be a better option ..as sometimes the mud flaps can be a pain in reverse and deep snow/slush
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline sylvain guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2021, 04:57 PM »
Again, yes 2 riders fit, slide it back as far as you can. I bought mine through sportsmans guide, free trial membership  and shipping

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2021, 06:52 PM »
I carry as little as possible on my Atv's.  If the snow gets deep or you encounter slush that loaded bIOTCH WILL SINK LIKE A ROCK! :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2021, 12:57 PM »
Of everything I have on my sportsman The Monster box is the best! I bring everything I could possibly want/need and the otterbox allows me to keep everything secure and organized. I have the box mounted far enough back that me and my son both fit.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2021, 01:48 PM »
I have a 2021 sportsman 570. I was going to do the otter box, but decided to use two of the Milwaukee packout plates mounted to the rack instead. Using a combo of the toolbox's, crates, and packouts. I can take them off when trailering or going into a hotel, and add them on within a minute. I had the otter box on my 07 and could definitely tell when trailering that it was there. also had a few times where i had to go back and tighten the u bolts holding the front from it starting to lift up in the wind.

On the front I have the Rhino mounts for the pistol bit and Milwaukee, And I am adding a ram mount for the garmin before winter. Other than That I just bungee down a small shovel.

If I remember I will snap some pictures tonight.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2021, 08:15 PM »
I second the Otterbox.  I added the bait bucket holder and the auger hold on my wheeler for the ultimate run and gun rig.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2021, 01:12 PM »
Wow...you folks have some amazing mods.  Looks great!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Dont forget the thumb warmer.. you can thank.me latter.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Roccus - I did the hand and thumb warmers, the windshield, and the guards that block wind from the hands area....been there and done that with cold hands on a 1o mile ice ride each way :)

What box is that on the back of the rack/seat,and what are you using the secure that milk crate down by the hitch?  Looks great!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Roccus - I did the hand and thumb warmers, the windshield, and the guards that block wind from the hands area....been there and done that with cold hands on a 1o mile ice ride each way :)

What box is that on the back of the rack/seat,and what are you using the secure that milk crate down by the hitch?  Looks great!
That is a Can Am large trunk, the milk crate is bolted to a aluminum insert that goes into the reciever, yet allows  for the reciever to still utilize the hitch, can take some pictures  of the set up, the Can Am comes with a port for a heated face shield..I highly  recommend that luxury.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2021, 05:48 PM »

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Some suggestions:

An agm battery - works better in very cold temps

Winch saver/cable stopper
https://www.amazon.com/winch-cable-stopper/s?k=winch+cable+stopper

Synthetic winch rope
https://www.harborfreight.com/atvutv-synthetic-rope-fairlead-kit-63139.html

Plow pulley setup - moose or make your own. This works much better than lifting the plow directly from the winch
https://www.motosport.com/moose-pulley-kit-for-moose-plow-systems

Get a recovery ice anchor - if you get stuck it can save your machine

some sort of lithium jump starter - keep it charged and in the atv storage just in case
https://www.harborfreight.com/450-peak-amp-portable-lithium-ion-jump-starter-and-power-pack-62749.html

If you cant find the otter box just use a cheaper frame bag like this atv tek - works great on mine

https://atv-tek.com/collections/atv-products/products/arch-series-oversized-atv-cargo-bag-black  <was way cheaper on amazon

Catchin' Fish

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2021, 10:33 PM »

Keep the important stuff in front of you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.