Author Topic: Clam Rattlin' Blade Spoon?  (Read 731 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Rattlin' Blade Spoon?
« on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:08 AM »
I’ve had really good luck using the 1/16oz Clam Rattlin' Blade Spoon. I’m primarily a crappie guy, and other rattle spoons just have not been as effective for me. They all seem to call in the fish, but I’ve had the best luck with crappie actually biting the Clam spoon. I just seem to be able to get them to commit to the Clam more than the Buck-Shot or VMC spoons .

However, I’ve had a real problem with the rattle falling off the spoons. I’ve been through about 10 in the last two years, and all have had the same issue. A few have lost their rattle in the jig box, and the others have lost the rattle after a few fish.

I’m thinking about trying a coat of 2 part epoxy to keep the rattle attached. Any better ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam Rattlin' Blade Spoon?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Have had the same issue with some of these.  I used superglue to attach the rattle back to the jig.  So far, this has held the rattle in place.  Kind of frustrating to look in your jig box and see the rattle sitting there. 

I have purchased some new jigs and these seem to be holding, or at least the rattle hasn't fallen off yet.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:45 AM »
I wonder why they work better than a buckshot?

I was going to suggest trying them instead.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:13 PM »
I’m not really sure. The 1/16oz buck-shot is very close to the same size, plenty of people have great success with the Buck-shot, but it is fairly rare for me to be able to get the fish to actually bite. It is so rare that I normally will use the buck-shot just to call-in the fish, and then quickly drop down something like a slender spoon or pimple. For me, crappie, gills, and perch happily eat the Clam spoon. Only the most aggressive fish seem to actually eat a buck-shot or VMC spoon for me.

It might be color or just confidence?

Either way, if I can solve the rattle problem (going to hit them with some super glue), I will just stick with what has worked for me.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:15 PM »
I've had the same issue with mine.  I would think an epoxy would work.  Super glue probably a lot cleaner though.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2022, 03:31 PM »
Update:

I used some superglue on a Clam Rattlin' Blade Spoon. I've caught hundreds of crappie & gills, some bass, cats, and a few perch on the superglued rattle spoon...and the spoon is still going strong. I need to swap-out the damaged hook, but superglue solved the rattle problem for me.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2022, 03:57 PM »
Email clam, they have had some bad batches and will replace them if you're persistent. Hopefully they've learned to use the right epoxy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.