Author Topic: Bou Hunt  (Read 3321 times)

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Bou Hunt
« on: Sep 28, 2005, 07:17 AM »
I know this is a IS board but some of you guy's want to see these pic's so here we go. The first two are the one's I got.

The next couple are of other ones

This is our sunken boat on the first day out :'

and the rest are some scenery

There are many more but that's enough for now.
        Jim

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bou Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2005, 08:09 AM »
Great pics Jim. The spread of your one 'bou is huge. Way to go!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Looks like everybody had a great time.
Ken                                          

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2005, 08:23 AM »
Bean, the wider one of mine was 49" wide
        Jim

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2005, 08:24 AM »
Beautiful pics Jim.  Looks like everyone got a nice looking Caribou.  Way to go.  :thumbsup:
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2005, 09:42 AM »
Monsters!!  Great work.  Awesome scenery in the early autumn.  Memory of a lifetime.  Conitnued good luck!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2005, 10:04 AM »
nice, looks like you guys had a good time, i would love to do that.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2005, 10:38 AM »
Nice hunt Carp! But where's the ice?  ???   ;D

Myhuntingforum.com Pictures

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Sorry Scott but some of my bud's don't go to MHF. I sure hope this doesn't put me on the infimous list :whistle:
        Jim

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2005, 02:04 PM »
what list? there is no list :tipup: now look into this penlight "FLASH" ;D

those are great pics jim, but you would think there would be a little bit of ice up there somewhere? well at least now you have plenty of meat for when you get out on the ice :tipup:

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Sorry Scott but some of my bud's don't go to MHF. I sure hope this doesn't put me on the infimous list :whistle:
        Jim

Tell them to sign up here.www.myhuntingforum.com    Ron
Bobberstop

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2005, 07:03 PM »
Nice Bou! Where did you hunt? I'm going on a trip in mid December in Northern Quebec (near LG4). I won't see as many nice racks as you got in your pics, but I'm hoping I'll still see a few.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2005, 07:18 AM »
Bob, we were in LeGrande. That is very close to lg4. We hunted with mirage outfitters and some of my friend's go on a winter hunt like you are at a place just down the road from mirage. By the way everyone say's you will see load's of animals just not the great big ones. From what we were told, the reason is that as soon as the rut is over the mature bulls drop their antlers. The lodge where we were runs 150 hunters every 4 days on their winter hunt. Those hunts must be something to see. One thing to remember is if your driving make sure you take some extra fuel. We were towing a small u-haul and couldn't make it from one gas station to the next on a full tank. Have fun and shoot straight.
        Jim

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2005, 08:21 AM »
Thanks for the pics, I was wondering how things went. Looks like they went very well ;D
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2005, 01:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Jim. I'm hunting with Kiskimaastakin Camp in December (12th-15th I think?). I figured it would be mostly a meat hunt. The guide says there is a good chance we will see some good bulls, just not great ones. I'm hoping that the bou will be there in as good of numbers as I'm being told.

I've been told that about the gas. We planned on bringing an 4 extra 5 gallon tanks for backup. Where did you Drive from and how long did it take? I'll be coming from northern VT.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Bob, we drove from central Pa. and it took 30 hours straight thru. We always use the free trip web site for directions and they were always within a half hour or so on time till this trip. It was saying around 24 hours but there was no way that was happening. The scenery was nice for the first 10 miles then it all looked the same :'(   I would assume you will be going the same way as we did so when you get to Valdor be prepaired. If I can help in any way just ask.
       Jim

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Jim,  Nice Bou!  Impressive indeed!  How was the meat on those animals?  Were they in rut yet?  Our animals up here are in the rut and taste like, well, the gamey-est meat you'll ever smell!  They drink the pee from the cows and don't eat for a month, (makes for some fine eats eh! :-X)  Was curious to see when the animals around Quebec go into rut?     
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2005, 08:19 PM »
Jim,
It looks like I'll be taking the same route as you from Mount-Laurier north. Near as I can figure It's about 1300 miles from my house. I'm not sure how long that will take. I guess it depends on the road conditions. I hope the gas prices go down a little by then.  ::)

Barleydog,
Thanks for that info.     I guess I'm glad my hunt is well after the rut.  ;D

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2005, 06:41 AM »
Barley, They tell me that they go into rut this coming week and only last about two week's. The meet is very good now and the capes didn't even smell much but like you said, when they are in rut the guides don't even want to cut them up. Bob, it was just under 1400 miles for us. If this is your first time it will be worth it but next time you might decide to fly.
        Jim

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Right on Bob! ;D ;D  Good luck to you on your trip! ;D  Carpcatcher, I'm really glad to hear you missed the rut.  Nothing like fresh steaks on the grill eh!  I love bou meat, I think more than moose or venison.  I had witnessed many fine animals going to waste due to hunter ignorance.  More than once a huge bull has driven wide-eyed hunters to pull the trigger for a set of cape and horns.  It doesn't take long to realize you have a rotten bull.  Some fellers couldn't even use them for sausage, you know it's bad when you can't turn it into pepperoni.  I have harvested animals through the rut.  Usually choosing the smallest bull that looks like he's in puberty.  If it's grazing heavy while the other bulls are rutting about, take it!  Other than cows, immature bulls are the best, (you guys know that anyways eh!)  Did shoot a cow once while checking my trapline years back.  (It's legal in some parts of AK, but I don't practice cow harvesting)  She was blind as a bat! 8)  The rest of the herd ran one way, and she stayed behind.... :-\  So I took her out with the pistol before a grizz got her.  After checking her over carefully, we noticed she had cataracts! (or some type of eye disfunction.)  Anyways, she was the finest eating bou i'd ever eaten.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2005, 11:12 AM »
Nice job! great 'bous!!! 8)

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor