Author Topic: Lake manitou  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Iceman2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake manitou
« on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Fished lake manitou just before Christmas and there had been snowmobiles out on it already but very little ice fishing activity. Was wondering if anyone fished on the lake other than the condo pond. I remember fishing here years ago on the south channels and doing well by walking across from the dnr access. Was wondering if anyone fished there anymore

Offline camshaft962

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake manitou
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:16 PM »
I haven't ice fished it in at least 5 years...I would like to get back out there

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:04 PM »
I was there for new years, fished the channels, lots of dinks back there to sort through. Ice was a little sketchy on the main lake, sagging in spots a little. My wife and I actually made the paper in Rochester while fishing out there.  I will post the pic when I get home. I do well there in the summer. The lake is getting somewhat back to normal.
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline ticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Having grown up in Palestine/mentone. I fish this lake a lot to say the least. Used to be great fishing back in the pond. I remember several years that we drove trucks out to fish from the launch. We took a good many of fish off the back mill pond over the years.  Good luck to you!

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:02 PM »
I was out there. Got my limit of walleye before Christmas

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:09 PM »
Didnt think manitou had walleye?

Offline MarcumPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish stories told here!!!! Some true...
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:39 PM »
It doesn't, he's an idiot
Mitch

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:39 AM »
Didnt think manitou had walleye?
I have been fishing it for 30 years, have never seen a walleye

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:54 AM »
always heard of good fish from there, through the years.  had a weed problem or a die off or something many many years ago, as i recall.  very fertile with some trophy specimens as well as numbers before that. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:28 AM »
I thought so marcum pro! Ive fished my whole life. Lol. And never seen or heard of walleye in there. Lol. I just didnt wanna sound like the dummy. Lol. That guy is really something....

Offline bigwillie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:06 AM »
Years ago there were some Northern Pike stocked in Manitou.  When we could fish Goose pound on the SW corner I caught a small Northern jigging for gills.  Never saw any walleyes down there!!

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:11 AM »
He hacked my thread too.  Why?

Offline MarcumPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:42 AM »
So the northern pike in there has always been that legend myth in manitou lol, I never grew up catching northern in there, I'm 28. I cut my teeth on this lake, however, my dad always talks about how the northern that were caught in there were very nice, wonder how they just get fished out?  On a side note, huge crappie and there is a "jumbo" secret about that lake, however I'm not gonna give it away ;). As far as the weeds go, yes, hydroplane was found in the lake several years ago so multiple applications have been done since then and the fishing has changed, fish are still there, just in different spots and harder to find. Fish on!
Mitch

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:31 PM »
So the northern pike in there has always been that legend myth in manitou lol, I never grew up catching northern in there, I'm 28. I cut my teeth on this lake, however, my dad always talks about how the northern that were caught in there were very nice, wonder how they just get fished out?  On a side note, huge crappie and there is a "jumbo" secret about that lake, however I'm not gonna give it away ;). As far as the weeds go, yes, hydroplane was found in the lake several years ago so multiple applications have been done since then and the fishing has changed, fish are still there, just in different spots and harder to find. Fish on!

You got that right MarcumPro! Im 36 and fished it my whole life, my dad and uncle used to catch the northerns there. there is a picture in our cottage with a 44" northern that was taken out of there in 1982 I believe. They stocked but I guess was over fished there or maybe the fertilizer run off from the farm lands got to them, I know the habitat is perfect there. Now the only fish of the pike family is alligator gar. And hell no there is no walleye in there. I know what your talking about though.
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline camshaft962

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:33 PM »
Jumbo secret? If you're talking about what I'm thinking, I've only gotten on them once and couldn't find them after that. Haven't ventured out that way in probably 5 years or so.

Offline MarcumPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:11 PM »
They're there, just tough to find. We were out there several years ago on a day it was 45-50 degrees, foggy, couldn't see 10' in front of you it seemed like. Best day I've ever had, caught over 100. Never had them like that since as far as the numbers go but size is there
Mitch

Offline camshaft962

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:09 PM »
They're there, just tough to find. We were out there several years ago on a day it was 45-50 degrees, foggy, couldn't see 10' in front of you it seemed like. Best day I've ever had, caught over 100. Never had them like that since as far as the numbers go but size is there
That's awesome! Nice to have those days, that's for sure! I'd be a happy guy with 10-15 of them things!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.