Author Topic: hali jigs users  (Read 16750 times)

Offline Exile

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cooking a Litlle Venie
Re: hali jigs users
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2008, 02:42 PM »
What size does everyone use? 3/16 or 5/16 ?? ...
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:12 PM »
It's funny beacause I used to think that the chains where tough as hell, until I broke one the other day when It snagged to my bucket while I was removing it for use. My rod was spooled with 2 # test and the chain broke beofre the line did ???

Offline fathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:53 PM »
last year halis put fish in the freezer. in combination with
a camera you'll rock the perch. smack the bottom and
its like ringin the dinner bell .  it seems like the chain and
the hook get sucked in easier than normal rigs
SEMPER FI

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:03 AM »
What size does everyone use? 3/16 or 5/16 ?? ...
25mm is a good size.

Offline Bambam

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jigging so easy a caveman can do it
« Reply #34 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:54 AM »
I went out to a pond yesterday with some of the info gathered on this string. my perch colored hali with a large meal worl was like perch crack they couldent lay off i ran out of meal worms in an hour i caught about 2 doz but only took 3 good sized ones. the best advice i found was to bang it off the bottom about once a minute. on the 3rd or 4th short pop theres almost alwayss a hit

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Used a hali for the first time last night.  What is the knot of choice for tying to the hali?  I tied directly to the hali with a improved cinch knot and it came loose after a couple hours of fishing.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2009, 02:13 PM »
Try a palomer knot and see if that holds better.  I use the small no-knot snaps tied w/ a palomer, makes it easier to change jigs anytime and doesn't effect the action.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:15 PM »
i absolutely love the hali, i ussually put the hali on bottom tipped with maggots and about a foot up the line i put a orange lead head jig works great. hate breaking the chains and hooks though and payin $3 - $5 for the hali. so i built one that works equally as well if not better and the chain and hook are 20 times stronger..cost me pennys to build. just a copper wire and neclace chain.. has already caught 200 plus perch and a 4 lb pickerel since dec. 26 2008.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2009, 09:07 PM »
i absolutely love the hali, i ussually put the hali on bottom tipped with maggots and about a foot up the line i put a orange lead head jig works great. hate breaking the chains and hooks though and payin $3 - $5 for the hali. so i built one that works equally as well if not better and the chain and hook are 20 times stronger..cost me pennys to build. just a copper wire and neclace chain.. has already caught 200 plus perch and a 4 lb pickerel since dec. 26 2008.

(Image removed from quote.)

Although the Hali is reasonably new, we have been running dropper setups off kastmasters, deadly dicks, jiggin raps and more recently off chubby darters as well for years. The In-Fisherman had an article in the early 90's about dropper systems, they were using kastmaster with a small mono dropper and a 1/32 oz jig, which is where I first heard about it. When we first started using them we tied our own mono droppers and then later the clip on stinger hooks. The new chains, I think do impart a little different action and seem to work as well and some days better than the other droppers we used.  You can really use any type of small lure , len thompson, fiords, little cleos, forage minnows, kamlooper they all work well. The dropper chain dispells a bit, the idea of perch being line shy, when they hit a lure hanging from a chain, which is much more visible than almost any line you would you use for perch. Whatever dropper system you use, you should do well, as they will catch fish, especially perch when nothing else will.

I gotta chubby

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:35 PM »
I love hali spoons they are a perch magnet  . I like to pack spikes or a single waxie t-boned    drop to bottom stir it up a bit then 2 feet off bottom shake  it for 20 seconds then drop to a foot off bottom perch CANNOT resist it for some reason . I will tip with minnow head if that works   love this jig gets the bait down FAST

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:51 AM »
Fished a Hali on saturday and caught perch, bluegill, bass and an 18'' northern all on the same lure. I'm a believer.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:47 PM »
they are the best thing since sliced bread

Offline planar98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:55 PM »
My favorite ice fishing lure on Lake Superior for perch, coho, browns, and walleye. Outfishes EVERYTHING else, especially when tipped with Gulp Alive minnow heads.
Kirt E. Carter

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:18 AM »
I just got a few this year and the first day I used them I hammered the perch with it.  I tried it again on this past Saturday but didn't have any luck.  I am going to say it probably would've worked good if the fish were biting but they weren't hitting anything I put down.  I tipped mine with a wax worm.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:27 PM »
A great 1st choice to drop down the hole; readily calls in the aggressive biters. Minnow heads, perch eyes, waxies--all great tipping choices.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Buschfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:24 AM »
halis are my go to lure I love them they get to the bottom fast and ive caught perch, bluegill, bass, pike all on them and usually found if they wont bite a hali I cant find anything that they will bite on.  I would like to have 2 of every color someday lol they are a little pricey but I think well worth the money.

Offline Buschfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:50 AM »
looks like it would work I might try making one.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:07 AM »
if you guys try to purchase hali-type jigs on ebay, beware of those that are sold by 
"danglestackle". he buys them in bulke with no packaging. he sends them out that way too in a regular envelope with no assurance that the jig will not be damaged. i ordered 2 jigs. the envelope was torn on one corner and the nvelope was empty. he admitted that he had not wrapped them in any way. he refused to replace them, but did, reluctantly refunded me. a freirnd had a simlar experience, but his came damaged and he did not get his money back nor were they replaced.

Offline headhunter67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:21 PM »
I love hali's especially for smelt

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2013, 01:29 PM »
I used a hali chain on a northland buckshot to catch my first ling. These chains allow you to put any hook you want to on it so I used a size 8 or 6 treble and tipped it with a minnow head, the ling came right up and didn't think twice about eating it :)
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:21 PM »
About the hook dilemma:
The hooks are pretty fragile and fine, but mine are connected directly to the chain, no split ring. After a few fish, the hook starts getting bent and ugly. No, I'm not using forceps or excessive force when unhooking. Anyway, how would I replace these hooks while preserving the chain? I'm pretty sure that material is more supple than mono, and works better than a mono dropper would. It seems kind of wasteful to buy a replacement rig simply because the hooks start to fail.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:31 PM »
About the hook dilemma:
The hooks are pretty fragile and fine, but mine are connected directly to the chain, no split ring. After a few fish, the hook starts getting bent and ugly. No, I'm not using forceps or excessive force when unhooking. Anyway, how would I replace these hooks while preserving the chain? I'm pretty sure that material is more supple than mono, and works better than a mono dropper would. It seems kind of wasteful to buy a replacement rig simply because the hooks start to fail.

I would see if you could cut the hook off and add a small split ring then ad whatever hook you want :)
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:05 AM »
Halis are good for soft water fishing too.  ::)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:21 PM »
I use a #12 treble on the chain...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:15 AM »
What size and style hook do you replace the original with, and what pound mono or braid?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:13 PM »

Caught this 12" Gill on a hali with a wax worm
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Wow!!!  Nice gill
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hazy_eskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 10, 2013, 12:45 AM »
I was using a hali on one rod today and catching perch left and right. Kept changing lures on my other rod since I wasn't really catching anything, as soon as I put a hali on I caught a perch with the other rod. Second fish I almost had with that rod my hali some how came unclipped from the fast snap and I lost it.  :(

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:21 PM »
I have trouble feeling the fish bite and hooking them on halis what can I do that will help.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #59 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:23 PM »
I have trouble feeling the fish bite and hooking them on halis what can I do that will help.

get a lighter action pole or use a spring bobber.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.