Author Topic: Auger Hunting, what should I be looking for?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger Hunting, what should I be looking for?
« on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:09 PM »
Due to financial reasons I am currently looking at older gas augers in the $100-150 range. I've seen plenty of older Jiffys and Strikemasters in that range. My question is, are there certain older models to avoid that were bad? Or are there certain ones that were bullet proof that I should look for? For example, how are the strikemaster mag 2000s, the strikemaster tecumseh engines, and Jiffy Legends? Thanks!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Auger Hunting, what should I be looking for?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:44 AM »
Best Jiffy made is the Model 30. Heavy best but a young man can handle that.
<===Lefty===

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:55 AM »
I've got a Mag2000, nothing fancy or light, but it gets the job done and has been dependable.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:36 AM »
Another vote for the model 30. Sometimes they need a carb kit, simple $12 fix. Those 30's are probably more reliable than some new units. I got one from the '70's that is my go to, and my Pro-4 sits in the basement. Run amsoil sabre @ 80:1. Check the blades and if possible drill a hole. If it's not cutting well you want to know before hitting the lake. Some drills may be bent, take off drill and roll it on flat surface to check straightness.
It must be something in the water.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2017, 12:01 PM »
I had a Model  30 for  15 years and it always worked great. I just got tired of getting gas on my fingers every time I opened the fuel tank vent. It had great power and always ran good regardless of temp.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:52 PM »
I have had a couple of power augers when I lived in alaska because of the extreme ice conditions.  We had extensions on it to drill 72".  Now that I fish new mexico and colorado I went with a strikemaster lazer hand ice  auger, a drill adapter, and an extension to reach 42".  I just use a makita 18v cordless and it drills I think faster than my old power augers.  I don't have to push down whatsoever, very easy drilling.  I got it on sale for $75, forget what the extension and drill adapter cost, and I had the cordless.  Just an idea, works great, and a lighter setup to carry around.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Any Eskimo with the TCII engine...

They rip ice, and are pretty light..

<°)))>{

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:13 PM »
My jiffy model 30 is a little less than 15 years old and still very reliable  ( a tank to carry around ) but doesn't let me down.  I switched to a Nils milwaukee combo last year and love it beyond words...  my model 30 now sits in the shed and collects dust, but I doubt I will ever get rid of it. It holds a special place in my heart and I guarantee it would start and drill to China if I went to the shed right now. So if a gas auger in that price range is what you are looking for I would give two thumbs up for the model 30. Good luck!   I forgot to mention, I also had a Mag2000 that was given to me for free the year before I got my jiffy. I paid it forward and gifted it to a friend of mine right after got my model 30....  he put a carb kit in it and it runs like a champion to this day as well. So don't worry too much about choosing between the two, if you can tinker a bit and treat your equipment well both older augers will treat you well.  The old stuff was built to last
Let it freeze

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:15 PM »
I've got a Mag2000, nothing fancy or light, but it gets the job done and has been dependable.

^^X2^^
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:15 PM »
the best  auger I ever had was a 2hp jiffy legend lightning.i think it was early 90s in a all yellow color,tecumseh powerhead.it started no matter what.i sold it years ago to get a newer china jiffy sd60i.that too was a good auger but had starting issues in real cold temps.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:18 PM »
I forgot to mention, I also had a Mag2000

Also TCII engine

<°)))>{

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:20 PM »

X3
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I will keep my eyes peeled!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.