Author Topic: Kahtoola Microspikes on a winter boot?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
Kahtoola Microspikes on a winter boot?
« on: Mar 19, 2017, 01:13 PM »
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting my dad a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes for his birthday. From what I have read these will give him very good traction on the ice while still being comfortable  (as can be expected with such a product).

The thing is, all the photos show people using them with what I would call hiking boots. He wears a size 12 Sorel winter boot and some times mickey mouse boots. I was thinking an extra large would be appropriate. Does anyone else have experience wearing these on real winter boots?

From what I have read these are quite popular, any experience on these would be good as well.

Cheers!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kahtoola Microspikes on a winter boot?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2017, 01:27 PM »
 i'm pretty sure mine are large and they fit nice and snug on size 11 muck arctic pros.  i would go with an xl for sorels.  they're great spikes!

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Love my kahtoola micro spikes, wouldn't go with any other spikes on the market. With that being said I wear size 10 boots, some insulated some not and run large spikes. I would recommend the XL especially with the Mickey boots being big and bulky. Worth every penny.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2017, 03:40 PM »
I love mine, easy on & off. Get him a gift like that & you'll be his favorite son ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2017, 03:59 PM »

Mine are several years old and still like knew , 1 thing they do recommend when not in use remove them , some guys experienced break down of the elastomer when left on till the following ice season ,but they do stand behind their product ,  maybe you can catch a sale , as with many things some didn't care for them

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2017, 06:22 AM »
Get the XL. You wont be disappointed. Also give them a good coat of Armor All in the off season.  :tipup:
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:47 AM »
i didn't like mine at all! at first i did compared to the type that sit in the arch of your feet. that all soon changed for the worse tho.
i have been reading on here how they have destroyed boots by having the pressure needed to try to hold them onto the boot separate the bottom half of the boot from the uppers.
some are dry rotting.
some are failing from being close enough to a heater they snap and they thought they were far enough away it shouldn't have hurt them.

mine hurt my heels and i wear expensive cabelas premium winter boots. installing them was a pita too trying to get the heel chains to lay just so in the heal treads to try to get them to be centered on the heels.

also, there is no strap to keep them from getting lost in sticky snow and i have lost numerous slip on protection because of this.
if you have to buy this type of slip protection ebay and amazon have much better option and come with the strap so they don't get lost and a bag that kahtoola charges 10$ extra to get.
i can get some links if you care to look at better options.

i prefer kold kutter ice racing screws in my boots (19$ for 250 ct on amazon) because you can fall any time any where in winter and the micro spikes are too high of a profile and hurt the heel bones so are not comfortable at all and they change your walking stride. they are not for suitcase shanties either so i would have to remove them and reinstall them every time i went in/out of my suitcase shanty. the racing screws are not a problem at all to leave on full time and always be protected even off of the lakes.
i have them installed in 4 pairs of winter boots including mickey's.

another reason to use screws is you get to place the protection where you want it and have it spread out much more so your weight is spread out better on them and at contact points that make more sense such as heel and toes that catch your stride and push your stride. this means you don't have to try to stay as flat footed as you do with micro spikes and know those key points are covered for your safety. this also makes your stride much more efficient when pushing off with your toes rather then the balls of your feet.

until you've tried it all, you won't know the differences except for what you read.

semi-permanent slip protection makes more sense too. you can remove the screws or replace them and it doesn't hurt your boots. just use the 3/8" length. they are hardened steel and very sharp and don't clog up as fast as mirco spikes do. some use sheet metal screws, but they are too soft and not sharp. kold kuuters are V shaped and meant to stick to the ice and have high speeds and side pressure put upon them.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:51 AM »
broke my microspikes this year.   the metal broke on the underside.    Then the rubber broke later that day on the other one while walking back in.    Back to stabilicers.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2017, 06:51 PM »
I have been using them for about 6 years now and am on my second pair. I understand the factory is pretty good about repairing them (I think they just send new ones) and mine originals wore out on the bottom but I use them almost every day through some really rough walking on the ice and parking lots etc. I got the red ones just in case I lost one in the snow they would be easy to see. It never happened and they stay one even in deep snow. I wear size 10 muck arctic pro boots and use the large Katoolahs. Anything you wear over boots will cause some wear even if it is the line not protected from the sun.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.