Author Topic: What is in a Marcum Transducer? Answered!  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
What is in a Marcum Transducer? Answered!
« on: Mar 06, 2017, 04:43 PM »
So i have had 2 Marcum Transducers fail on me over the last 4 years and i was curious whether the problem was fixable. So in the name of science i got out the hack saw and got to work.
Once the plastic skin was removed you can see all the parts are cast in a plastic matrix (see the lead bb's)

After further chipping away the actual transducer is only the bottom 0.5" separated from the top section by cork.

The top is actually lead bbs'  in the plastic matrix for  weight.

In my opinion if you lose your transducer i would cut in the top 0.75"  and look for a broken wire, splice, and waterproof the new connection.  I would avoid messing with the bottom of the transducer just because that interface is important for signal transmittance. also even though there is an additional 1" of transducer between the top and bottom the wires from the transducer to main line are random in their routing and you may cut or nick one accidentally.
There is also potential to use small screws in the top 0.75" to attach a tether to the transducers to minimize the chance of breaking a wire.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: What is in a Marcum Transducer? Answered!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Howdy Woodland.
                            Would it be an imposition to your good nature by asking if you 'previewed' your post before 'saving' it for our viewing pleasure?

Sounds very interesting from the explanations in your post but, alas, without photos, it's a stretch of the scientific/engineering mind.

May I help?    :unsure:

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:46 PM »
IG.....He must have done something with the pics after posting as they were visible in the post earlier !!  :unsure:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:16 PM »
Thanx, SpitzoMT.     Better him than Marcum.    :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot:

On second thought ~ He may work second shift.     :whistle:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:20 PM »
thanks for the info, i understand what your saying.

not sure how your going thru them so fast, but the digital units have very little room to try to put them back on their parking spot. then with the arm that swings in with it that could be causing stress beaks on your cable. the top of the transducer hits the head unit too easily trying to shove it back onto the shuttle. the carry case tries to keep the angle of the head unit at the same position so the front of the case closes over it and this tends to keep the head unit too close to the top of the transducer while taking it out of the case or putting it back into it.

i don't like how this space is used, so i just lay the transducer on its side when putting it back on the parking spot and problem solved. no stress is put on top of the transducer at all this way. keeping it just barely in the water helps with cuts and fish hurting it too while landing them.

another situation might be if you wrap your transducer cable around the arm and then try to stow it back onto the cradle this way, it could also pinch cut the cable as well.

hb transducer cables are even softer casings than marcum uses.

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2017, 04:20 AM »
thanks for the info, i understand what your saying.

not sure how your going thru them so fast, but the digital units have very little room to try to put them back on their parking spot. then with the arm that swings in with it that could be causing stress beaks on your cable. the top of the transducer hits the head unit too easily trying to shove it back onto the shuttle. the carry case tries to keep the angle of the head unit at the same position so the front of the case closes over it and this tends to keep the head unit too close to the top of the transducer while taking it out of the case or putting it back into it.

i don't like how this space is used, so i just lay the transducer on its side when putting it back on the parking spot and problem solved. no stress is put on top of the transducer at all this way. keeping it just barely in the water helps with cuts and fish hurting it too while landing them.

another situation might be if you wrap your transducer cable around the arm and then try to stow it back onto the cradle this way, it could also pinch cut the cable as well.

hb transducer cables are even softer casings than marcum uses.

::) I was worried you weren't going to get a dig in at HB but you came through at the very end.  :cookoo:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:40 AM »
  ::) I was worried you weren't going to get a dig in at HB but you came through at the very end.  :cookoo:
being i own both and know what i am saying, it is factual and helpful for the op to know that if he thinks the cable quality is shoty to know there is worse if he looks further.

::)  but then you'll be okay when you start to contribute to the thread.
so sad you were so worried kev  :cookoo:

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Can you all see the pictures now? I can see them in the post...
I have a vexilar- 10 years old, never a Problem
I have a HB ice-45  6 years?, never a problem

Marcum lx- 3rd transducer (I like it the best so use it the most, but the others still get plenty of use when buddies are along)

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:22 PM »
I can't see them

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Fixed!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Very well done, Woodland.     :thumbsup: ;)2

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Maybe Marcum should upgrade the cable quality. Its ice fishing and by nature its abusive. Telling you to only lower the xducer a couple inches is a cover up.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2017, 01:32 PM »
one broke pulling the ducer out of the storage "cup" when it was frozen in ( i think i seperated the wires from the puck. The other broke while while being transported in the sled behind the snowmobile (i think strain on wire comin in the top)

Everytime i break one, i learn another way not to  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.