Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 3063 times)

Offline gman1101

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Cleats
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Just wondering what everybody is wearing, pros and cons. Would like ones that are easy to take on and off and also snow doesn't clump on them. I wear a size 12 LaCrosse 1600 gram game hunter boot or a pair of Sorel Dominators.

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:28 PM »
micro spikes are the best I've found. They are a breeze to put on and take off & snow doesn't gather.  By far the best I've found but are a bit pricey.

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:35 PM »
the problem with cleats is most time they fall apart at least in my experience with them, most likely racing to tip ups and skidding to stop. with that being said i bought the stabilicers from ll bean which carry a lifetime ll bean warranty so with one being 20 minutes from me it works out.

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:31 PM »
these are what i use. they are pricy but they are the bomb. and you will not slide on ice .
http://overshoesneos.com    they are neat they actually go over your boots and are water proof too, which just helps keeping your feet warmer too and thats a plus for me...bill
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I have a pair of yak trax XTR's. I love them. The go on fairly easy and have tons of traction on the ice...especially when drilling holes. I don't twist at all...very sure footed.
jbird68

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:35 PM »
I just bought a pair of the HT super sandals and they are by far the best cleats I've ever owned.  I have size 14 shoes and wear Schnee's pack boots, similar style to the Sorels, and they fit perfect.  I've tried other brands and styles over the years and with every one I tired I always had sore feet at the end of the day.  These super sandals look like a sole of a shoe with screws all over the bottom so your feet land evenly on the ice and no more sore feet.  I paid about $25 for them and would buy them again, just wish I did years ago.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Yak trax. Just like jbird said.
:icefish:

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:04 PM »
I screw sheet metal screws into the soles. Five on front of sole and three at the heel. Just stay off the hardwood floors.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline dmattejr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:06 PM »
hillsound trail crampon pro  they run around $85 a pair but well worth every penny. have had mine for three years now and are as good as new

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:10 PM »
x2 on the Sheet Metal Screws... i use them, and would never change..
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline OneShot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Has anyone used Grip-it Screws from Woody's? I ran across them while researching studs for my snowmobile. They are along the same lines as sheet metal screws, but they have a carbide tip on the end of them.  I need cleats of some sort to replace the cheap pair i have been using, and was thinking of going the sheet metal screw route untill i saw these.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:49 PM »
I bought some Maxigrip Ice Studs HM11 last year and have been very happy with them. Looks like they may be the same as the Grip-it screws from Woody's. I put 12 per boot but could use maybe 5 or 6 more per boot.
The maxigrip come 24 per pkg the Grip-it 25 per pkg (I guess you could put 1 extra per shoe). The Grip-its are 13 mm and the Maxigrip are 11 mm.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:08 PM »
60 1/4''x1/4'' hex head selftapping sheet metal screws! 30 per boot i bought 100 of these screws that are stainless steel for under 20$
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:34 AM »
micro spikes are the best I've found. They are a breeze to put on and take off & snow doesn't gather.  By far the best I've found but are a bit pricey.

X2 without a doubt comfy and you walk flat footed , and for something that will last for years ,it's a good investment

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:41 AM »
I screw sheet metal screws into the soles. Five on front of sole and three at the heel. Just stay off the hardwood floors.

X3...but make certain they are stainless steel.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:42 AM »
ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Ice Cleats, covers the entire boot, stays on in heavy slush/snow and grips great

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Arctic Spurs, I have 5 pairs and the guy that ran the company had a bunch of extra rubbers that he let me pick up from him in Lansing.

Offline Robby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Ditto the HT sandals.  Very versatile for different boots.  A tip if u get them.  Take the screws out and reinstall with locktite.

Offline tt350z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:59 PM »
hillsound trail crampon pro  they run around $85 a pair but well worth every penny. have had mine for three years now and are as good as new

I use these as well. They have anti-balling pads on both the ball and heel, so no snow buildup. very quick release.Amazing traction.

Cons: I ripped a small hole in my pants with them, operator error of course,

I got mine on sale for $65 @ Back Country Edge

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Can't remember the name of these but they are on size 15 boots....

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:15 PM »
I bought some Maxigrip Ice Studs HM11 last year and have been very happy with them. Looks like they may be the same as the Grip-it screws from Woody's. I put 12 per boot but could use maybe 5 or 6 more per boot.
The maxigrip come 24 per pkg the Grip-it 25 per pkg (I guess you could put 1 extra per shoe). The Grip-its are 13 mm and the Maxigrip are 11 mm.

Did you need any type of special tool to install the studs? Woody's has an installation tool they want you to buy.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Yak Trax

WS

Offline Channel Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:38 PM »
Have an OLD pair of Fit-U ice cleats.  Full bottom, not just heel or front.  Bought them after taking a big time header years ago.  Figured the noggin was worth it.  They work great but sometimes wonder if they spook the fish when I'm moving around.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:29 PM »
X2 without a doubt comfy and you walk flat footed , and for something that will last for years ,it's a good investment

X3 - There may be others that are as good, but I don't know how anything could be better. You could run a 40 yard dash on glare ice covered in baby oil with microspikes on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.