Author Topic: Panoptix or Livescope what to get ?  (Read 10754 times)

Offline GenaVorn

• IceShanty Rookie
Panoptix or Livescope what to get ?
« on: Nov 16, 2019, 08:22 PM »
Need help to make a decision. I can buy Panoptix transducer ps22 for $650 or LiveScope for $1250. I don't have a head unit yet nor a battery pack  (waiting for black Friday deals)... Is the prices is good or should I buy whole system and wait for black Friday ?Which unit is more practical panoptix or LiveScope ?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Panoptix or Livescope what to get ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2019, 09:05 PM »
Livescope, well worth it, nothing like it out there for less. I can promise you it will change how you ice fish. I'd wait that extra week and see if you can get that price a little lower. Don't forget utilizing gift cards and cashback portals....might save you another couple hundred on a larger purchase like that.

I have no association with Garmin btw, just a regular owner.

Offline GenaVorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Thank you mboss . I tried to look for older posts can't find it. What is my price target should be on this unit (approximately) ? or transducer ?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2019, 10:11 PM »
$1250 is pretty good. Tackle Warehouse had them for $1200 last year on their Black Friday sale, but I'm pretty sure it was an oversight on their part.

I sold my original panoptix (ps22) and went to Livescope and have been very happy with it in open water. I am hoping to get on the ice with it this week!

Offline UnderTheIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:24 AM »
I am currently running both units.  Panoptix with 7 inch and livescope with 9 inch screens.  If you have bad eyesight, get the panoptix.  If money is not an issue, get livescope for a little better resolution and easier view swap (forward to down view).  The days that I want to just fish with downview, I will only take panoptix.  If I am fishing with structure and also want to search, then I will take livescope instead.  Another note, livescope will also be heavier than panotix due to the modular.   Buying parts separate when on sale typically is cheaper than buying the bundle when on sale.  If you do go with just panoptix, I'd recommend getting one of the echo map plus displays. If you decide to upgrade later, you only need the livescope transducer and modular.

Offline GenaVorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:17 AM »

Thank you everybody for your comments.Trying to justify such expensive purchase :)
 Few  more questions. I am going to fish mostly between the weeds and structure with depth no more than 10 feet . Is a panoptix (without LiveScope ) would be sufficient to see all the details ? How much more enhanced viewing livescope compare to panoptix options ? Battery vise .I understand that LiveScope draining more energy than Panoptix for one day trip would be enough one 10 ah battery ?
I am fishing without machine (draging everything behind me ) which unit would be more suitable?

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:46 AM »

Thank you everybody for your comments.Trying to justify such expensive purchase :)

Gonna have to put A LOT of fish on the ice to justify it. 🤣 but if it were just about the price, we would all just goto the grocery store and get our fillets there already processed and ready to go on the grill or in the oven!!!
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:53 AM »
I have them toss them to me so I can say I caught them!!!  :roflmao: :clap: :thumbsup: :flex: ;)2
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Gonna have to put A LOT of fish on the ice to justify it. 🤣 but if it were just about the price, we would all just goto the grocery store and get our fillets there already processed and ready to go on the grill or in the oven!!!

Right, there is no payout, nor should there be. This is a hobby not a business....the thing is I am pretty positive I could sell my livescope package and easily break even after already using it for a year...hence why I suggest waiting for Thanksgiving week to the op.....but I give Garmin credit for holding the price up there......

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Beyond price, also bear in mind that Livescope is going to be heavier than Panoptix.  The black box alone for Livescope adds about 7 pounds to the mix.  My full Livescope set up weighs in at about 20 pounds and that is with a Lithium battery.  The other thing to make sure you factor in is battery consumption.  The Livescope will draw more juice and will require more battery.  I personally use an Amped Outdoors 30ah Lithium battery but that alone is another $180 in cost.  If you go bigger battery like that, then you will want to consider a Summit Fishing shuttle.  It adds up fast.

I pieced mine together so I could build it how i wanted it.  Got the ducer from one retailer, the black box from another and the control head from another.  This was all based on finding the lowest price, without tax and no shipping cost.  That freed up money for the Summit fishing shuttle and the 30ah battery. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2019, 11:03 AM »

The ROI (return on investment) is not based on pounds of fish/dollar. Based on that approach I am better off “fishing” at Costco and buying it already fileted.

The ROI that matters most to me is calculated on fun/minute. Livescope hits out of the park!

Livescope is definitely worth it - if you can afford it. It may no be for everybody, like a Ferrari car (which I don't have), but that does not mean that it is not worth it.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:38 PM »
Good grief, I was kidding about putting enough fish on the ice to “justify” it. As you will note what follows in my original comment “ IF it were just about the price tag we would then be all in grocery stores buying the fillets”!!! The key modifier is IF...
“The lady doth protest too much, methinks”  🤣

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:41 PM »
Good grief, I was kidding about putting enough fish on the ice to “justify” it. As you will note what follows in my original comment “ IF it were just about the price tag we would then be all in grocery stores buying the fillets”!!! The key modifier is IF...
“The lady doth protest too much, methinks”  🤣

I know...but I really wanted to spike the ball.  ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Though, now, I do see what “buttons” to push in order to provoke a specific outcome in the dialogue.... ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Fishing in weeds or want to see the structure, then go with Livescope. Panoptix sees everything as just blobs.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2019, 05:30 PM »
Fishing in weeds or want to see the structure, then go with Livescope. Panoptix sees everything as just blobs.

Yup, that's why I upgraded from the PS22 to the Livescope. The PS22 is still light years ahead of any other manufacturer's tech out there and if it weren't for livescope, I'd be running it on the ice again this year.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2019, 05:26 AM »
I have a garmin echomap 73cv,  what do I all need to add panoptix besides the transducer?

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2019, 06:05 AM »
I have a garmin echomap 73cv,  what do I all need to add panoptix besides the transducer?

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/details/612574/garmin-panoptix-livescope-system.html?category_id=67251&catalogitemid=549542#checkout-comments

This link will send you to the package from the factory store.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:53 AM »
https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/details/612574/garmin-panoptix-livescope-system.html?category_id=67251&catalogitemid=549542#checkout-comments

This link will send you to the package from the factory store.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice

That link is BS. The MSRP is $1499.99, they aren't saving you a dime.

Reinert- you have the touchscreen Echomap, correct?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:23 AM »
$1499 just for livescope Cabela's Black Friday sale...seems like price is going up, not down....

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:25 AM »
$1499 just for livescope Cabela's Black Friday sale...seems like price is going up, not down....
Imagine what the price would be if they TAXED fishing sonars based on how effective they were!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Imagine what the price would be if they TAXED fishing sonars based on how effective they were!

Haha......Livescope would be right around $5k just in taxes.....traditional flashers would offer a tax rebate both federal and state

Offline GenaVorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Bought this morning Livescope for $1000.Brand new from auction site .Seller accepted offer. Moving forward -lookin for echomap plus 93sv ..

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Bought this morning Livescope for $1000.Brand new from auction site .Seller accepted offer. Moving forward -lookin for echomap plus 93sv ..

Nice deal. Hopefully reputable seller, but yes, in the next two weeks people should be able to score them sub $1000 (with some effort and luck).

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:10 AM »
I was merely trying to show him what he needed... read his post,that was the question
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2019, 04:02 PM »
I was merely trying to show him what he needed... read his post,that was the question

I guess, my point was that it didn't appear to be a very reputable retailer. They showed an inflated MSRP in an attempt to make it look like they are giving a good discount when they aren't giving one at all.

If he somehow bought the LVS32 ducer separately, he would need the GLS10 sonar black box to use it. If he bought the LVS10 ducer, he could use it directly if he had an Echomap Ultra or certain gpsmap models, but the LVS10 ducer has a much smaller coverage angle than the LVS32. The LVS32 is the ducer you want.  ;D

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:52 PM »

Reinert- you have the touchscreen Echomap, correct?
yes

Offline Alex Bergel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2019, 11:28 PM »
Get the Livescope.  It's worth every penny.  Especially with the 93sv head unit.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2019, 08:15 AM »

I understand that LiveScope draining more energy than Panoptix for one day trip would be enough one 10 ah battery ?
I am fishing without machine (draging everything behind me ) which unit would be more suitable?

Livescope is without question the best sonar unit available for ice fishing (by a wide margin).

Panoptix is the 2nd best sonar unit available (by an even wider margin).

So, if you want the best sonar on the ice, go with Livescope.

I’m constantly moving (on foot), spend 12hrs+ a day on the ice, and power consumption (battery weight) is the only reason that I’m still running Panoptix.

Battery life approximation:
10AH @ 12V = 120Wh
18W (ECHOMAP™ Plus 93sv) + 21W (Panoptix LiveScope™ System) = 39W
120Wh / 39W = 3h

Offline Alex Bergel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2019, 08:46 AM »
I currently have a 20ah 14.8v 4s Lipo kicked down to 12v that I run with a 93sv and Livescope.  I can get 3 or 4 excursions out of one charge.  At my settings, I could probably fish for 24 hours straight.  Keep in mind gain and screen brightness greatly affect battery life.  Most of the time, you won't have both cranked up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.