The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: My Eskimo Pistol Bit Review  (Read 7726 times)

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
My Eskimo Pistol Bit Review
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:11 PM »

Hi
  I started another thread on Kdrill vs Eskimo Pistol bit. There are not many Kdrills around here in our area of Northern Ontario and the pistol bit is new with few reviews. I bit the bullet (haha) and bought the pistol bit. Coming from a Jiffy 10 inch I like the idea of a true 8 inch hole. Cantire has them up here and with 24 months equal payments no interest it was a no brainer. I paired it with a Dewalt XR20 DCD996 drill I had and a 5 amh battery. I also have a  clam plate model 9935 with throttle mod.
  The clam plate fits perfectly into pistol bit once you remove drill adapter and plastic safety plate. This setup weights 13lbs vs my 10 inch Jiffy at 37lbs!!!!
  I was the first person out and there was 6 inches of good blue ice. Temp was 10 deg. F. I cut 20 holes and it was amazing!! I never used a Kdrill and have nothing to compare too.Way easier than a sharp 10 inch Jiffy. No effort and ripped right through. It will be interesting to see how it goes when there is 24 plus inches of ice but I can't see there being a problem. The fully charged 5 amp battery still showed full charge after 20 holes or 120 inches of ice. I will be using it more in near future.
  The only drawback is that there is no point on it and it wanted to skate a bit when starting hole. Once I got use to it it was not a problem moving forward.
  Like i said I have never used a Kdrill or any electric auger. I have used a Jiffy 30, 10 inch for 30 years and have been happy with it. But I am getting old and the weight and leaky gas caps were becoming an issue with me. It is pricey but I was happy with my deal. I will keep the Jiffy for late season if needed. There is a long ways to go but If the first time out is any indication, I think we have a winner here !!

Thanks
                                                                                                          Newman

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Eskimo Pistol Bit Review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:08 AM »
I would recommend getting a extension for it right away. once the ice gets to that thick you will find your self bending over to drill the holes. with the extension on you will be able to stand up right with out having to bend over. don't know off hand who would have it up in Canada but this is the one you would get.   it says works with 6 inch auger in the description but it works on all sizes and brands of hand augers (with the exception of maybe the nils hand augers).

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/16-inch-auger-extension.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:02 AM »
Yes I have been checking out the extensions also. 

Thanks

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Since it’s made for a drill setup I’m surprised they didn’t make it taller or come with extension.

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:21 AM »

Yes Kdrill is even worse I think. You gain a bit with clam plate. A thing I didn't mention was that blade cover is really good also.

Newman

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I'm 6'3" and my 8" K-drill is plenty long enough until the ice gets close to about 3 ft thick I think, then the extension goes on. With it my DeWalt is about shoulder height when starting a hole.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline newmoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Used a friends 6" k drill really cuts nice. Able to cut additional holes thru 8" of ice over scooled fish without spooking them. Did not have my gas auger that trip to compare if it would have spooked them. When ice gets over 15" thick I still prefer my Eskimo f1rocket 8" easier to turn big fish up hole easy on fuel 22lbs. hope that helps.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Heard some issues with walking. Some guy even said he cut his foot. probably an Eskimo hater.
Anyway use a Drill with a handle or plate and don't put downward pressure on it, especially at the start.
My son bought one and it cuts better than any auger I have ever used. Rigid 18V 9ah battery.
Mine is on order and hope it gets here before Saturday.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.