The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sturgeon Spear - finally got it!!!  (Read 3626 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Sturgeon Spear - finally got it!!!
« on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:54 PM »
As some of you may know, there is a limited spearing season in Wisconsin for Lake Sturgeon.  I've been wanting to do this for years, and this year I'm gonna do it. ;D

I picked up my spear from a local guy who makes these things.  I know the picture it worthless, but here's what I can tell you.

Head is 12" wide.
Tines are 10" long, and removable.
Barbs are retractable, or "flying barbs" as they are called around here.
Head is Stainless steel - painted to lessen glare.
The entire spear head is removable from the handle.  Handle isn't shown, but it's about 6'-6" long.

Offline mjbmxz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Holy balls it's gonna pull us through the ice!
Re: Sturgeon Spear - finally got it!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Nice spear!  I love going on the lake spearing.  I hope to get a sturgeon this year, but always plenty happy having fun with the guys and hangin out.  Good luck!
Just Jiggle it, Jiggle It  :D

Offline spearinwinny

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sturgeon Spear - finally got it!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:43 PM »
Just put the rope on my brand new spear tonight! Made sure I had thick enough and long enough to hopefully wrastle a 200#er! I know we use all flying barbs as well! Most of ours are sore of like a 1/4 of a 1 inch stainless tube the inside points up and where it connects to the spearpoint its more like 1/2 of the tube so it can get around the point and the two are kinda rivited to the point so they can move in and out. We also put a small piece of rubber to stop it from closing too much so you can make sure it can grab meat when you pull. My new one had a nifty feature to get the spear out instead of unscrewing the point of taping the barb shut there is a ring that slides down and holds the barbs closed so you can pull it out. Just got to get one so I can use it! I had a picture of my last fish and my last spear but I'm new and haven't figured out how to post personal pics yet. Anyway, now I got a back up!!! Been really inerested in pike spearing for a while now, made some spears and took my first trip to the UP to try it last year but didnt see anything all day. Looking forward to learing the ropes!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.