The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: making your own spear  (Read 9779 times)

Offline trapper_max

• Team IceShanty Regular
making your own spear
« on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:34 PM »
anyone do it? i looked at a few today but they are about 70bucks that i dont have lol

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: making your own spear
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2010, 02:49 AM »
anyone do it? i looked at a few today but they are about 70bucks that i dont have lol

I built all my spears, but I'm a welder/machinist and mechanic so that kinda stuff comes fairly easy to me.  Dollar wise I don't have much into my spears, but if I figured in my time they'd be pretty spendy  The only advise I could give is to be very patient and make it exaxtly how you want it.  Like the old saying goes..."good enough, rarely is".  Best of luck.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2010, 04:21 AM »
Making them yourself usually requires access to a welder and sometimes a cutting torch as well as figuring out your shopping list for the components for the tines, head, handle, and lead for extra weight as well as a super thin hacksaw for cutting barbs, etc. As DHF alluded to by the time you figure in the price of materials and then a lengthy trial and error construction process its actually kinda pricey. However, I've built three from scratch, two for getting friends into the sport and one for me and there is nothing like sending that shaft straight and true right behind the gillplate of the first fish taken by your own creation. Similar to carving your own decoys and having them actually work and put food on the table or building your own darkhouse. All part of the sport that makes it so great.

An alternative that I have recently engaged in was buying just a laser cut spear head and then adding my own handle to create the perfect weight I wanted. The prices were very reasonable. A guy on eBay once had several different sizes or "models" and I got a single barb 7.5 inch and a double barb 9 inch mainly because I needed a spear for bigger pike and also a backup for any friend that wanted to give it a try on my trips. So that is another way to go for making up a rig if you can track down just the head. But I haven't given up on making a few more for some special circumstances I encounter now and then.

Actually 70 bucks is not a bad price for a spear if it has a good design. (They'll last a lifetime and you can pass it on to your kids too.) Watch out for puny barbs that won't hold the fish. Only settle for barbs which require kicking the fish off to remove it.  ;D  I haven't lost one yet~!
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:05 PM »
I built two of them several years apart. I used a small hand made forge and patio umbrella rods for stock.
Pounded them out and they worked excellent. I did have to temper the tines after fixing/brazing them all together.
Both unfortunately were stolen so can't show picts.

good luck ;D
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:30 AM »
Blackhawk, the center section of the spear where the tines connect. Is that something you fabbed. Are the tines bent in one piece, or are they
two pieces and welded in the center. Thanks. Nice spear by the way.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2010, 11:34 PM »
taht's pretty much the same way I built mine, except I silver soldered the tines into the weight instead of welding them.

Offline mr.jig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone new where I could get a good spear made for me.  I have looked all over Northern Michigan and all I find is flame cut heads and flimsy shafts.  I would really like one made like the old timers use to. I have seen some of the spears you guys are making and they look good.  If I am going to pay someone to make it I just a soon help an iceshany member out.  Please let me know.

Offline fishin_692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM REDNECK
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:08 PM »
sweet spears
KILL,EM,AND,GRILL,EM      

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.