Author Topic: Discussion- "junk fish" in Maine is considered a delicacy in other states?  (Read 8491 times)

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where are you located? I need to start selling perch filets over there. Not as much per pound here here.

Right between two of the best perch fisheries in the world.  Lake Simcoe and Lake Erie.  I just pulled the first link that came up - it's probably for hipster foodies.  Can't see many real anglers buying perch and especially not at those prices.  Just pointing out to the OP that they are certainly valued as a food fish.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
aah--Namaycush!!

Taste of fish depends on their environment and diet---hard to generalize.

Yup, you get the white fleshed greasers or the red fleshed invertabrate eaters.  Huge difference. 

Ever had a venison steak from a cedar swamp buck versus corn fed?

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
This is the fun thread. I  like bluegill perch walleye northern pike not necessarily in that order. I also like white bass over crappie I feel crappy are good but overrated, white bass are good if you cut the red meat off. The only child I ate that I ever liked was brook trout out of the mountains of Wyoming.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
That was supposed to say trout not child,

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That was supposed to say trout not child,
:roflmao: :roflmao:
There is an edit option after you post

Offline bm11

• IceShanty Rookie
How prevalent would you guys (especially the Mainer's) say the worms are? I hear they tend to go away in the winter.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!

Ever had a venison steak from a cedar swamp buck versus corn fed?

Yep, frequently and if both are properly cared for you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. When we live in S. Dakota the old man said that tumbleweed/sage fed antelope was better than any venison he'd ever had, northern WI swamp/forest or Iowa corn fed. Go figure.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How prevalent would you guys (especially the Mainer's) say the worms are? I hear they tend to go away in the winter.
The cyst stage of the parasite (worms and black spots) last years in the fish, they don’t go away in winter. Any shallow lake with lots of weeds (therefore lots of snails) and fish eating birds is going to be infested. Winter months might see more fish that are clean, as those might be the ones that live out deeper in the warmer months, staying away from the snails that infect the fish. There’s only a few places I fish that have clean perch or sunfish, most are completely covered.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Frying fish with those parasites (black spots) on the skin will kill them---just don't try making sushi!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes, very important to cook freshwater fish thoroughly. But if you know they’re there, it’s just much less appetizing.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I grew up catching small brookies that had black spots on them. Didn't know what it was but didn't hurt me.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think that the "black spots" are just "Fish Freckles" and give them some charm.  ;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
lol freckles  ;D

some people say you can eat fresh water fish as sushi.  they claim if you freeze it that kills the parasites.  since im a fisherman not a scientist ill just say no. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
lol freckles  ;D

some people say you can eat fresh water fish as sushi.  they claim if you freeze it that kills the parasites.  since im a fisherman not a scientist ill just say no. lol

I think even sushi grade tuna gets flash frozen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.