Author Topic: Clam Bigfoot XL4000T review with pics!  (Read 34224 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Bigfoot XL4000T review with pics!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Are the windows removable on this thing? That's one thing I really like about the FatFish.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Are the windows removable on this thing? That's one thing I really like about the FatFish.

I set mine up tonight to take a look at it. Did not look like the windows are removable, just covers for the windows. My Otter is the same way and have not had any trouble with them for many years.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Got my 4000 thermal this past weekend. It's a big boy!! And seems pretty water resistant too. I like the fabric, just hoping it isn't too heavy in the wind.

It is amazing how easy it is to set up and take down. Really cool. Much bigger than I thought it would be packed down, was hoping it would fit completely inside an XL jetsled, but it's not gonna, at least not with the cover on. But totally worth it. Doors are a little small, but not terrible. Zippers seem really nice. I put my little buddy heater in it and it was t-shirt weather in there in about 5 minutes.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline needtobefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:31 PM »
Bought one the other day. Pleased with the Bigfoot having used it on two fishing trips so far.
Plenty of room for 4. Brought along one of those Mr. Heater dual head types that attach to the top of a propane tank.
Key thing was I didn't want the family cold, well running one burner  on low with outside temps hovering around 10...we all agreed.
Shut off the heater, it is just to warm.
Also I do like one of those battery powered light/fan combos..with out it the top two feet of the clam get just plain hot.
Hand anchors were pretty easy to put in via hand only.
Set up is crazy fast and easy.
Only down side I would give is small doors.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Does it get dark enough with the Velcro windows to use as a portable spearing shack?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline needtobefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Does it get dark enough with the Velcro windows to use as a portable spearing shack?

I've never been in a spearing shack.  I will say the bigfoot4000 is not dark on the inside. When I wanted to watch the fish I need a blanket over my head while looking down the ice hole.

I am toying with the idea of sealing the inside to keep more light out.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Going to use mine for the first time tomorrow. Reports will follow.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Well, I got to use my Bigfoot all weekend. At least 18 hours of use over the past 2 days. I still really like it, but I do have some criticisms...

First, on Sat we were got about 6" of snow while we were fishing. Big design flaw... the doors have flaps that cover the zippers, and the bottom flap fills with snow like crazy because it faces upwards, which when you have a heater roaring in there causes that snow to melt and then freeze and the zippers get frozen. We basically couldn't use the bottom zippers on both doors all day. Simple fix would be to put the flap (or maybe an additional flap) on the door instead of the hub wall, facing down and covering the zipper instead of facing up. This is a big design flaw that I am surprised wasn't thought of. Granted it was a pretty serious blizzard all day, but still, you would think Clam would have thought of this.

2nd, and certainly related to the first issue, the zipper pulls on the doors are absolute junk. The zippers themselves look really stout, but the pulls break off easy. Replace the zipper pulls with parachute cord, trust me. I thought it was just because the bottom zippers were frozen, but after it broke off I was able to get a good look at the metal that attaches the pull tag to the zipper and it's very weak, mild steel wire. The kind that if you bend it 4 or 5 times it breaks. But this is an easy fix I suggest anyone who buys this thing does right away.

3rd, and this isn't really a criticism for the hub itself, more for the people that make the Clam videos... they say to open the doors before you put the shanty down and away, which makes sense, but they do not say anything about closing the doors before setting it back up. We found that if you do not close the doors before your final setting of the shanty and anchoring on the ice, that the hub can get tweeked and make the doors impossible to close. Best to start off with all sides pulled with equal tension, rather than have the two sides with the doors not tight.

Also, if you set it in some deep snow, it might be a good idea to shovel the square that the hub will sit in. We found that if you don't shovel the snow, the corners work their way right down to the ice, while the middles of each side bow upwards with snow underneath. That tweeked the hub and made the sides not symmetrical. So we will be shoveling the entire footprint of this thing from now on.

So that are the only bad points (not really all that bad except for the stupid flap placement). Oh, and as said by someone else, the doors are kind of small and cumbersome for a big guy like me. But that's a small problem, I got used to it pretty quick. The good points are many... as said, we pretty much went through a blizzard on Saturday, and the material was quite waterproof. On Sunday it got super cold and windy... some SERIOUS wind gusts out there, and the hub preformed very well. Amazingly comfortable in there. The little buddy heater kept it nice and comfortable in there, and it was cold outside. Love the netting for the gear lofts on the roof, and the pockets on the sides. At one point we had 6 people in there and a small child, while I was jigging, amazing amount of room in there. Putting it away wasn't bad either day, a little harder on day 2 when it was freezing cold but still not bad. There was little to no condensation drips that I noticed, maybe that's the thermal material, or maybe just the conditions.

All in all I love this shanty and hope it stands the test of time.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:12 AM »
intresting now you have me thinking of getting one

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:39 AM »
intresting now you have me thinking of getting one

So far the shortcomings are very few... I am really quite pleased with my purchase. I was really worried yesterday, we had some 35mph winds and the Clam held it's own very, very well.

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:39 PM »
Sounds very compelling.  Does it by chance have vents?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Sounds very compelling.  Does it by chance have vents?

yes it does have vents....

I picked up the XL2000 yesterday as I usually fish by myself or with 1 or 2 other people and there is plenty of room in that thing.... my cousin also has one and I usually fish with him so if theres a big group we are fine. As the flaps issue I didn't notice it until someone said something and yea that's an issue but not a huge one maybe just keep the zipper open a bit so the snow doesn't build up but then you lose heat. Other than that its a nice popup shelter and light too. I had no issue lifting it up and moving it around in the bag. Definitely an improvement over the one my cousin has.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Yep, nice vents, two on either side.

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:30 PM »
Thanks guys.  Gonna pick one up next week me thinks.

Offline laportian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:13 PM »
I got the XL2000 for christmas and have used it 3 times. My reasoning for going with the hub vs a pull over is that I already have $250 invested in an otter sled. I fish Upper Red all winter so I tend not to need to move around allot, I'm to old to run and gun and you really don't need to on red anyway. I have two suitcase style frabils that I have grown to hate so much that I basically refused to even bring them along for the past year. I would rather sit out in the elements than have to fight putting them away in the dark and wind. So this year I decided I would get a hub style shelter. I looked at the Fatfish 949i for the last two months and really thought that I would get that. On xmas eve day me and my wife went to go buy the fatfish at Mills Fleet Farm in Brainerd and they were out of stock. So we decided we would stop at Reeds and get one. Well they had the Bigfoot XL2000 set up right next to the Fatfish. I liked the overall build of it better. The poles looked bigger as well as the hub looked beefier. The XL2000 has 600 denier fabric and the bag is also way better. The price was also $60 less than the fatfish. But the price diff between the 2000 and the 4000 was $80. The set up size is just a bit smaller that the 4000. I fish alone about half the time so the extra few inches wasn't a deal killer either.
I fished with it both days this weekend and yesterday. Set up does take a bit of time but what is 10 minutes? It did sweat and drip but only from the edges of the ceiling so it does not effect me. My old frabils did the same except they would drip on me. I heat with a sunflower heater so I was able to sit in there without a jacket on. It was -17 below yesterday morning and I stayed warm. And taking them down and putting them up is a breeze. Overall I am very happy with it. I bought the clam light/fan combo which is really nice to help keep the heat back down at you.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:19 PM »
I fished with my 4000XL for the last 4 days. After being out with it set up it is way bigger than I need. There was two of fishing and we only really needed half of the shack. I should have went with the 2000 instead but the thermal lining is nice in the 4000. Most of the time we use the hut as a warm up spot. We hole hope :alot of the time so its just a place to get warmed up or eat some lunch. The hut stained up for 4 days in single digits at night and highs in the low 20's during the day. I had no issues putting it up or taking it down. I did put up LED strip lighting and will say that is a must. Its nice not to relay on just a head lamp. Over all it is a top notch hut and is built very well. The only regret I have is I should have gotten the 2000 instead of the 4000.
Matt

Offline rodneypetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Has anyone else had issues with the zipper pulls.  Some of mine have broken off.  Clam sent 'replacements', but they're nothing more than key rings with string through them.

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:33 PM »
We have not had that issue.  YET!  I suspect we will though unfortunately.  A lot of folks having that issue.  I love everything else about it though.

Offline jeffy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:23 PM »
I was waiting for someone or people to post a report on the XL 4000T . Well i am convinced no condensation and retains the heat.      Thanks for making up my mind   :clap:  :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:38 PM »
I have used my XL4000t a few times now, and have had no issues. It is exactly what I wanted in a pop up. It gets warm with no heat source, and has plenty of room for an overnight trip.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:46 PM »
I have used my XL4000t a few times now, and have had no issues. It is exactly what I wanted in a pop up. It gets warm with no heat source, and has plenty of room for an overnight trip.
I will second that.

I am loving it!

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Anybody have the dimensions of the 4000T when its in the bag?

I just need the length so I can figure out what size sled I'm going to need for it.

Thanks!

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Rather than start a new thread I will just add to this one.

My new BigFoot 4000 just came today and I got it setup in the garage.

First impressions are...damn, it's a beast!!

It's taller than I would have thought, the quality of the sewing and fabric looks pretty good and I didn't notice any problem areas and I gave it a thorough look over.

The hubs and poles are very sturdy and I have no doubt they will hold up.

I followed the instructions which are quite easy...doors closed, top up first, then the opposing sides and that is it, aside from anchoring--it is stupidly easy to setup.

There is a lot of space inside and for 3-4 adults it looks like the perfect size.

I didn't get a chance to put a heater in it yet, but given how my Scout TC thermal performs I'm sure this thing is going to cook.

The carry bag is pretty decent quality, sort of a mid weight denier.

Given the reports on zipper pulls breaking I tested one on the bag first, by pulling and twisting it with a little bit of force and sure enough it broke.

The metal part of the pull is wire thin and die cast and that is where it failed.

I took it down then set it back up again and when I went to open the door the pull snapped in two, this time on the plastic, so yeah, I can report that the zipper failure issue is real...LOL!!   ;D

I'm in the process of installing paracord pulls now, but man, how embarrassing, Clam really screwed these up big time, especially since they use these zippers as a selling point in their promo video.

Big FAIL.

Other than that my Big Foot looks to be in good shape from the factory, it hangs right, with no loose fabric or other oddities or stressed poles. I will be breaking it in this weekend with the family. It really looks nice.

The BigFoot and storage bag weighed in at 37.03 pounds about 38 with the 4 screws, small carry pouch and two guy lines which is significantly less than the 42 pounds listed by Clam.

The beast taking up 2/3 the garage.

And the epic failure of the zipper pulls. Come on, you just get a new company logo and you put it on these crap zipper pulls that break if you look at them wrong. I can imagine if it is cold that these things would fail almost immediately they are that bad. I Recommend you take them off before going into the field as stated in the reviews above.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Awesome review man. I have yet to change out my zipper pulls, but you can bet it is on my list of things to do now.

On a side note, I have been having an issue with a different clam product that I won't mention, and I am really not impressed with there customer service department. I wrote a well thought out email to them, to recieve a quick and in my opinion garbage response. Needless to say, The Clam products I currently own will be my last. Customer service goes along way with me, and it seems to me it is what this company is missing.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Awesome review man. I have yet to change out my zipper pulls, but you can bet it is on my list of things to do now.

On a side note, I have been having an issue with a different clam product that I won't mention, and I am really not impressed with there customer service department. I wrote a well thought out email to them, to recieve a quick and in my opinion garbage response. Needless to say, The Clam products I currently own will be my last. Customer service goes along way with me, and it seems to me it is what this company is missing.

There is room on the zipper itself to feed some paracord through with the pulls still attached so that is what I'm going to do, so when the inevitable failure occur I'll have the cord already in place.

Might be a fun trick to play on someone...."**censored** man, you just broke the zipper on my new BigFoot 4000T!!!!"

LOL!!! ;D

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:07 PM »
There is room on the zipper itself to feed some paracord through with the pulls still attached so that is what I'm going to do, so when the inevitable failure occur I'll have the cord already in place.

Might be a fun trick to play on someone...."**censored** man, you just broke the zipper on my new BigFoot 4000T!!!!"

LOL!!! ;D

Haha! My buddies wouldn't even care.  ::)

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:08 PM »
Well, it looks like I got a sub standard BigFoot because I'm missing the two ceiling nets that were mentioned in the first review of this thread--I just noticed it tonight.

I double checked and there are no ceiling nets.

I have the four pocket style nets below the windows but nothing on the ceiling.

Not a happy camper.  >:(

Can other Bigfoot 4000 owners confirm whether you have ceiling nets or not?

Shakes head...walks away.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Ceiling nets...... Check

Dont worry in about a week they will respond, and let you know that they may ship them out when they get around to it.  ;)

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Ceiling nets...... Check

Dont worry in about a week they will respond, and let you know that they may ship them out when they get around to it.  ;)

So are they sewn into the roof or are these separate nets that you have to install?

There are no attachment points on my ceiling anywhere.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:33 PM »
So are they sewn into the roof or are these separate nets that you have to install?

There are no attachment points on my ceiling anywhere.

Thats messed up. They are sewn across the bottom with small plastic hooks that hook to rings closer to the center of the ceiling. There are two of these set ups in mine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.