Author Topic: Great weekend  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great weekend
« on: Mar 13, 2023, 04:32 PM »
Had a successful weekend on the lake, Saturday i fished a new spot I was able to get to on my snow dog, had about 4 inches of good ice and another 4 or junk ice. I set up a rainbow trap in about 15 feet of water with a smelt 5 feet below the ice right off a point , right of the bat I got a few salmon (released at hole) seemed like good ones to! I set up with my helix in 25 feet for lakers and they were hot. I threw a gold kastmaster tipped and they would come right up to it but not commit so I switch to a white and orange striped tungsten tipped with a gulp mealworm and that’s what they wanted I used it Saturday and Sunday and had the same results. Missed a handful of fish because of the hook size and eventually I set the hook on one and snapped my hook off but probably landed 10 lakers on  just one before it snapped but I have extras 😂 awesome to watch them on the helix they didn’t hesitate to hit the tungsten and they were chasing higher up in the water column. I moved my rainbow trap out to about 40’  and had a big smelt about 10’ below the ice and got a 4 lb 23” laker on it lol. Found a productive area with potential for bigger fish . Set some cusk traps up over night but just got dinks. I did get a nice 3 lb cusk on a tip up sucker in 30’. Took that one home and made a nice chowder

[/url

[url=https://postimg.cc/qhy804Ws]

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Great weekend
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2023, 05:19 PM »
Great report! Way to switch things up to get those lakers to commit. March is a great time to fish
Tight Lines!

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2023, 05:25 PM »
Definitely sounds like a great time!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2023, 07:26 PM »
Great report.  Nice mixed bag and you got some quality fish too.  Way to switch it up to get on the bite.  Congrats.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2023, 05:40 AM »
Sounds like a fun weekend !

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2023, 06:39 AM »
Great report way to get them to commit sounds like a great day!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2023, 10:00 AM »
Nice work  :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2023, 08:42 PM »
Nice report way to get after it. Snow dog sounds good.  Are you happy with it? Easy to load and unload?
Salmonemia

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2023, 06:29 AM »
Nice report way to get after it. Snow dog sounds good.  Are you happy with it? Easy to load and unload?

Really happy with it out on the ice, some spots were deep and slushy this past weekend and it went through it just went slow. Once I get the track studded I think it will be even better. Loading and unloading is so easy. The cargo carrier I have is good but I had one accident where I was going on a steep incline and my snow dog tipped off the carrier 🙄 I will say I’m at fault because I got lazy when I strapped it down because I wasn’t going far, luckily I wasn’t going fast at all and only minor parts got damaged. Just need to be cautious of turns and frost heaves and what not. Next near I might just remove my tool box in my truck and get ramps. I would feel a lot more comfortable transporting it this way lol

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2023, 04:50 PM »
Nice report... seeing a few of the snow dogs showing up on the lakes... one guy was even nice enough to offer me a ride but the pulling that day was easy so I just walked it.  Glad you were able to find the fish and happy to hear the snowdog is doing what you want.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2023, 09:17 PM »
Nice report... seeing a few of the snow dogs showing up on the lakes... one guy was even nice enough to offer me a ride but the pulling that day was easy so I just walked it.  Glad you were able to find the fish and happy to hear the snowdog is doing what you want.
Last month I saw a guy with a homemade one. First time I'd seen that. It was the ass end of an old snowmobile with a Harbor Freight motor where the seat used to go.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2023, 10:16 PM »
Last month I saw a guy with a homemade one. First time I'd seen that. It was the ass end of an old snowmobile with a Harbor Freight motor where the seat used to go.
That must be interesting to register...

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2023, 12:03 PM »
Nice Work Buddy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.