Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2018  (Read 71952 times)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2018
« Reply #330 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Glad to see you were able to move the house going to be a lot of snow out there tomorrow.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #331 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Glad to see you were able to move the house going to be a lot of snow out there tomorrow.
Thanks! You are correct sir...hopefully not a big messy event on Sunday!

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #332 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:48 AM »
No rush Mowbizz. Don’t make a special trip!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #333 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:02 PM »
2/10/2018

Derby Saturday. Although I didnt buy a ticket, I still fished.

I got to the boat launch around 4:15 am and the parking lot was packed. Only a few spots for cars. Parked in the beach parking lot. Glad that was plowed out. Thank you!!

Snow was deep and fluffy. Not a bad ride out to the house.
Some Deep snow drifts around the house.  Worried about drilling the holes. Last Sunday I moved the house to new ice. That was good, only took on an 1.5” of water. Snow sucked it up and it would almost freeze during the day.
Reached 34f w 1 mph wind. Nice day actually.
I managed to pull up 2 Lakers before CH got out. Then it shut down for me. She got 1 and lost 2.

I’m still out here getting hits from cusks. Decided to stay the night.

More later.....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #334 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:09 PM »
2/10/2018

Derby Saturday. Although I didnt buy a ticket, I still fished.

I got to the boat launch around 4:15 am and the parking lot was packed. Only a few spots for cars. Parked in the beach parking lot. Glad that was plowed out. Thank you!!

Snow was deep and fluffy. Not a bad ride out to the house.
Some Deep snow drifts around the house.  Worried about drilling the holes. Last Sunday I moved the house to new ice. That was good, only took on an 1.5” of water. Snow sucked it up and it would almost freeze during the day.
Reached 34f w 1 mph wind. Nice day actually.
I managed to pull up 2 Lakers before CH got out. Then it shut down for me. She got 1 and lost 2.

I’m still out here getting hits from cusks. Decided to stay the night.

More later.....

Thanks for the report! I was wondering when you would post...I drove through Wellington on Friday just to see what kind of zoo was happening and the lot was packed then too. Tomorrow’s rain will be something to watch out for...we’re not going out til Monday so please let us know how everything’s going after tomorrow’s rains...

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #335 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Great to get back amongst the circus after not being able to make it at all last year. 3rd trip this year but 1st weekend trip. Great to hear the radio chatter(while mine lasted) again. Only iced 1 Laker today but couldn't get on the X.
Jiggin and CH stopped by always a pleasure.
BIG shout out to the guys in the BIG tent off the ramp. We were picking up and a guy came over on a sled offered to drag my sled and I off. Greatly appreciated, Can't get around like I use to. Nice to see the Pay It Forward thing is alive and well on Newfound.
Good luck, be safe!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #336 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:17 PM »
2/11/2018

The sleep out went very well, it was really quiet, no wind and fairly warm. Didn't use much propane......

I managed to get one cusk while laying in my cot. Then fell asleep i think around 11 pm.

I always crack my windows open and some time during the night my heater went out due to low O2 sensor. Im assuming due to no wind for cross venting. i was warm so never knew it until around 3 am when i got a cusk on my spring line / rattle reel. Glad the heater works.

Today was a lazy day after a long day yesterday. Overcast and sprinkled on and off until this afternoon when it began to rain but not a hard soaking rain, light steady, thank goodness.
Fished in my long johns it was so warm out this morning. Hot Coffee, Chocolate covered mini donuts and fishing in my long johns. Later had an oversized english muffin toasted with egg and bacon as a sandwich.

Was going to bump the house off the holes but decided to leave it there and jacked it up instead. I had around 1.5" of water around the house and when i pulled up my buckets from my holes, the water remained fine. Wasn't rushing out nor swirling back down. After i initially cut the holes in my house Saturday morning, i shoveled and packed snow around my buckets to build a cone to contain the water.
Today I packed down the snow and made an exit trail just in case i need to this week. Will be back out one night to check on houses and adjust accordingly.

Got skunked today. I did miss 2 and did see them constantly on the fish finder but no takers.

Leaving the lake, it was pretty slushy, bogs you down.

A couple from Saturday

CH’s Laker

Cusk caught from my cot

3am cusk

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #337 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Great Derby Weekend on Newfound..  Friday, After digging and plowing the access trail from Wellington Beach through the state park and on too the ice we set up for the weekend.. Put out about 30 Cusk traps in different location to try and find where the fish were.. We had some great eats and many cold beers and enjoyed good friends.. Saturday is was up bright and early and started drilling holes for jigging and tip ups.. followed by a great breakfast of home fries, bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs.. caught some small cusk and one decent one.. we fished hard all day. Moving holes, changing bait, changing jigs.. Nothing seemed to work, one small laker. Saturday night more good food and cold beers.. met some nice folks that stopped by to enjoy a cold beverage or two and some fish tales.. Sunday back at it.. a few more small cusk and one more small laker.. fought the drizzle till 2:30 and called it a weekend.. not many fish but a great time.. two weeks now till Alexandria Derby.. might move around the islands towards the bay for better luck..

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #338 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Fished down in Hebron this past weekend. Got some perch on Saturday, the biggest was .85 pounds. We were marking fish all day long but couldn't seal the deal.

One guy in our group caught a 4.4 pound pickerel on a tip up. He didn't have a derby ticket, but I think he would've come in second in that division on Saturday. Nothing to show for at all on the cusk traps.

Looking forward to the Newfound Derby in a couple weeks!
Marking anything?

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #339 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Rotary derby has really never got me amped up, being to large, and the way the winner is picked.....BUT the newfound derby is a much simpler, fun derby for a good local cause that I look more forward too!...anywho, this past weekend is a mixed bag...Saturday was great weather , with a season best 5 fish, and Sunday being rainy weather with 1 fish...going to check house Tuesday, and get ready for the next batch of rain on Thur,and fri. ....only 2 weeks to get ready for newfound derby...!....here is some pics of my last weekend..

ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #340 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:20 PM »
Whoa! Tippin, those chilli dogs look great but i bet they left a stain, smear or some kinda mark. Glad i didn't come visit this weekend.

See you tomorrow evening....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #341 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Never made it out today (birthday duties) but the rest of the week is for ice fishing! Can’t wait to get out there!
Got my new style cast base Ion bit, a couple of live suckers I kept in a cooler and a dead one for chum and a dozen shiners! Look out Lakers and cusk! Hopefully the slush will have firmed up a bit with tonight’s cold temps.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #342 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Whoa! Tippin, those chilli dogs look great but i bet they left a stain, smear or some kinda mark. Glad i didn't come visit this weekend.

See you tomorrow evening....

Lol... been there done that...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #343 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:50 AM »
Episode 3

Checking on houses after rain storm. Conditions were not good.

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #344 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:45 AM »
Good morning, great video Jiggin.. was that video recent, meaning after the rain this past weekend? Just trying to pay attention to the ice conditions going into this warm spell.. Thanks

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #345 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:10 AM »
was that video recent, meaning after the rain this past weekend? Just trying to pay attention to the ice conditions going into this warm spell.. Thanks

No, that was around Mid Jan time frame. Not from this weekend.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #346 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:27 AM »
No, that was around Mid Jan time frame. Not from this weekend.

Went from fishing on 14" Wednesday to open water Saturday morning. About 3.5 inches of rain fell. Remember it well. Never did get the shack launched that weekend.

Offline onehitters21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #347 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I’m glad you asked I started getting worried. Awesome video tho

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #348 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Out on Newfound since 8:30 am...very slow but there are lakers cruising And not biting...
Set a couple tip ups in shallow water and got 2 hit and runs killed the shiners. Switched to eggs and we’ll see how that goes.
We set up our house blind before the big storm and damned if I didn’t end up on a steep slope in 22 FOW.
Navionics said there was 33 FOW here. Oh well it’s a nice day to be out.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #349 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Nice video jiggin....a reminder of how bad it can get, no matter how well you think you planned for a situation!
It was actually a fun day with all the help we had, but if that wasn’t the case, and had to deal with this kinda stuff on your own, it would be a different video #circusforlife ...lol
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #350 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Agree with Tippin!
Congrats you guys for looking out for each other.
Looks like a very dangerous place to be for those unaware of current conditions.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #351 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:50 PM »
2/13/2018

Met up with Psycho, Redfin, Tippin & Laker Taker, and headed out across the lake. Under the deep snow, there was still water but where it was packed down it was stiff.

Decided to bump my house over. Used my packed down path i did before leaving on Sunday. It was hard packed and moving was easy. Back in ~ 35fow.

Nice evening out, quiet with no wind yet cold.

Hated to leave.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #352 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Got a big skunk today...beautiful day but fish didn’t cooperate.
Stayed out til 7pm to try our hand at jigging cusk but nothing there either.
Rough riding out there wth all the ruts but slow and steady got us out and home. Got the Argo stuck in a drift right at our house...shovels came in handy and got it unstuck quickly. Need some of them there tracks so we can laugh at the drifts! ;D
Back at it tomorrow and see if we can bounce off of the stupid slope we’re on. All depends how he Argo will handle the weight with the sloppy conditions...navionics let me down and I wonder why? Maybe not as accurate as I thought but never led me astray before this???

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #353 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:56 PM »
2/13/2018

Met up with Psycho, Redfin, Tippin & Laker Taker, and headed out across the lake. Under the deep snow, there was still water but where it was packed down it was stiff.

Decided to bump my house over. Used my packed down path i did before leaving on Sunday. It was hard packed and moving was easy. Back in ~ 35fow.

Nice evening out, quiet with no wind yet cold.

Hated to leave.

I thought I saw you guys down that way. Did you come out from Wellington?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #354 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:57 PM »

I thought I saw you guys down that way. Did you come out from Wellington?

Yup we did.

Was that your truck and trailer? Psycho said he saw your Argo next to your house so he figured your house was all set.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #355 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:28 PM »
Yup we did.

Was that your truck and trailer? Psycho said he saw your Argo next to your house so he figured your house was all set.
Yes my truck n trailer...you must have snuck out without us seeing you!
I knew you would be out tonight sometime. Yes our house is all set just gotta bump to a flatter bottom area...Maybe tomorrow.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #356 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:42 PM »
 Bounced the house today...went surprisingly well with the snow softening up As the morning progressed. Got set up in 40 FOW chummed and started seeing lakers but skunked again. Had one come in like a missle but he only had the cut sucker in his mouth when I gave him the yank. Lost my bait twice like that. Day turned nice around 2 o’clock with bright sun and pleasant temps...left the lake at 3:30 to go clean up for Valentines dinner. After dinner at Newfound Inn went to Wally World for some curtain rods to hang over the bobhouse windows...sun was glaring as it went down in the West...need to block it out so I could see my camera. Back at it in the AM.

Offline onehitters21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #357 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:30 AM »
Good luck in the am

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #358 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Seems like everyone is out of suckers today...at least that’s what the guy at Newfound Trading Post (small mart) says...  :'(
Trying our luck with live and cut large shiners today...

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #359 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:21 PM »
A fine drizzle coming down now...not much going on with the lakers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.