Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2018  (Read 71984 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2018
« Reply #180 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:41 PM »
01/17/2018

Against my better judgement....actually i don't have better judgement now that i think about it, Laker Taker and I put out Jonesy and Ladybugs house on the lake.
I have a good method of loading bob houses onto my trailer. I have a 4000 / 8000 lb winch that mounts to the cab rack of my plow truck and use that to pull the house onto the trailer. Really simple and easy. Ladybug and i loaded the house onto the trailer, got it tied down and Laker Taker brought his wheeler out  to pull it onto the lake so that i wouldn't have to make 2 trips to get my Argo etc... We got it out, jacked up and tied down in no time. We've done this before a time or two.
Back to the better judgement thing.....wasnt a good idea actually and turns out i was right, i don't have better judgement, but i wanted to get it done before the weekend so i can spend time fishing.

Thanks Laker Taker for the help for sure. Got it done in no time flat.

Now it's gonna be a long night....but fishing is right around the corning, i can get some rest in the bobhouse.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Looks Delicious! Can’t say I ever thought to fry laker. Curious how it tastes. Love frying up crappie, burbot and yellow perch... might be a stupid question as most things taste pretty good deep fried

It is delicious! White, sweet meat as good as any fish I’ve ever had.
Last batch I didn’t think I’d have enough for the family so I picked up a fresh haddock filet and it was as good or better. Not a crumb left over...😀

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #182 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Well thanks for the tip mowbizz. I usually cook my lakers under the broiler with lemon, butter and rosemary (salt and pepper of course), on the grill with a little Cajun spice or poor mans lobster. You got me salivating over your fry though. Next keeper is hittin hot oil!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:48 PM »

Back to the better judgement thing.....wasnt a good idea actually and turns out i was right, i don't have better judgement

Lol
Hope you didn’t tweak your back again!
Did the snow stay on the ice or blow off?

Offline redneckfisherman5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:02 PM »

.  Northern fabrication solutions has been grinding to get my shack done! It was a bare frame this morning when I was at his shop at 930 Jason burned the midnight candle and sent me the second picture around 730 tonight ! Shack will be ready Friday for pick up , can't thank Jason and crew enough and can't say enough about the work they do! Feel free to swing on in if you see this beast out on newfound in the coming weeks !
Trout -the real pink meat

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #185 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:55 AM »
Did the snow stay on the ice or blow off?

No, the snow was still there. No wind last night. Had about 5” or so of powdered snow. If any wind today, it’ll be gone.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:31 AM »

.  Northern fabrication solutions has been grinding to get my shack done! It was a bare frame this morning when I was at his shop at 930 Jason burned the midnight candle and sent me the second picture around 730 tonight ! Shack will be ready Friday for pick up , can't thank Jason and crew enough and can't say enough about the work they do! Feel free to swing on in if you see this beast out on newfound in the coming weeks !

RNF5, Nice looking bobhouse,you will be styling on the ice ! :)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #187 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:40 AM »
Congrats man on the new house. In the picture is looks like it's levitating.....like a hover board.

Cant wait to see it set up on Newfound.

Congrats.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:28 AM »

That’s a beauty Bud!
The lake needed a new ORANGE CRUSH out there!
Let me know if you need a hand getting it out...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #189 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Congratulations on the new shanty Redneckfisherman5 may it serve your needs and you,family and friends make many good memories fishing out of it.  Mowbizz good name choice.
Steve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Congrats man on the new house. In the picture is looks like it's levitating.....like a hover board.

Cant wait to see it set up on Newfound.

Congrats.
skis are set in to accommodate a 10" auger and also to be able to load on a smaller trailer then 8ft wide if there was ever a need. Also to track closer to my fourwheeler tracks for deep snow situations as some lakes I fish the wind doesn't blow hard enough to get rid of the snow.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:44 AM »
That’s a beauty Bud!
The lake needed a new ORANGE CRUSH out there!
Let me know if you need a hand getting it out...
thanks mowbizz! I start a new job this week so I while be consumed with on call hours for a while and long days traveling but I need to insulate it first then it will hit the ice not sure it will be a permanent fixture to any lake this season as I may run and gun and fish a few different bodies of water with it

Offline Jetmec89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • USAF
« Reply #192 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:25 AM »

That thing is awesome! What will be the final weight when all said and done?
Grab me a beer woman!!!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:02 PM »
That thing is awesome! What will be the final weight when all said and done?
my guess will be 500-650 as it sits I will weigh it at the lumber mill to be exact when I get it though!

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Nice shack congrats

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #195 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:04 AM »
1/19/2018

Bounced the house this morning. Glad I did although slow going.
Just caught my 20th Laker for the season. 3 for the day so far.
Pretty nice out,overcast.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Good move Jiggin!
I was going to bounce this morning to get off this slope but got lazy and started fishing...had one laker hanging around and when he picked up my bait
I lost him and my bucktail on the set.
So far s-l-o-w...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #197 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:04 AM »
If you have your radio, holler out. I’m up to 7 Lakers so far. All small ones.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Bounced the house closer to Wellington in 42 FOW just for a change of pace and instantly regretted doing it. Visibility was nil.
So much floating silt and the bottom was all silt as well. Couldn’t see a trout until it was right in front of the camera...if one was on the bait you almost couldn’t tell unless the bait moved. The heavy overcast didn’t help much either. No lakers landed today.
We’ll bounce the house early tomorrow back to the the area we were in before we bounced. That’s fishing!
Any reports on the visibility closer to Mayhew?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #199 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:57 PM »
Wow! What a great day. As i said earlier, i bounced the house to another location and instantly saw lakers. Slow going but i got all set up and started catching lakers.

I ended the day with 13 lakers and 2 cusk. That brings my total for the season up to 30 lakers. I got one cusk during the day, it came in and basically sat on my jig until he decided to hit it. i got that on the GoPro. Had doubles a couple of times today which was a bit hectic yet fun. Went through a whole sucker and a few smelt. Visibility was low until i shoveled the snow in the area of my camera letting the light in. Made a big difference.

Almost spent the night in the bobhouse after hearing the weather report. No or low winds 19F. Almost perfect conditions to sleep out but should of done a better job planning it. Needed more suckers for tomorrow and Sunday so I had to leave so i could tend to my bait box...it was all froze up.

Ready to do it again tomorrow.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #200 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:16 PM »
13 Lakers and 2 Cusk....That sounds like a great day Jiggin!
Now on to the weekend.....Hope your feelin a little better
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #201 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:32 AM »
If the wind is calm enough for my hub I am coming over on Sunday.  Are you able to take wheelers out from Wellington?  Mine weighs almost 900lbs.  I always am nervous 1st time out with the atv

Offline PHD3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:38 AM »
I was there yesterday, launch has hardened up good..  My wheeler weighs over 700lbs, no problem..    Found no less then 12"  north of the launch..   You will be good.. But don't be afraid to check as you go..   Good luck

Offline Chefmike64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Was wondering if anyone knew of a good cusk spot on Newfoundland
Here fishy fishy

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Bounced the house this morning to 35 FOW on the east side of Mayhew...before bouncing, pulled in our 4 cusk lines that soaked overnight.
Got 1 15” and a nice 25 incher...must be a few pounds...these are my 1st cusk I ever caught!
Can’t fish til during the week now.
Go Pats!!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Was wondering if anyone knew of a good cusk spot on Newfoundland

Got 2 last night about a quarter mile off Wellington boat ramp in 42 FOW. One nice big one!

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #206 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Outstanding job mowbizz! You may be way ahead of me on this- but, if you need help with working those cusk up - google How to fillet a burbot. Great vids. especially the one from Alaska F&G.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Outstanding job mowbizz! You may be way ahead of me on this- but, if you need help with working those cusk up - google How to fillet a burbot. Great vids. especially the one from Alaska F&G.

Yup! Googled on Youtube how to filet a cusk/burbot and found some lady from a Maine camp that did a good job. Didn't know you could just pull the skin off with a pair of pliers...cool!
All fileted up and waiting for the fish fry!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:00 PM »

Thanks! I just looked up that one from ALaska F&G and they do it up real nice. Didn’t know there was a triangular piece of belly meat! Next time!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Thanks! I just looked up that one from ALaska F&G and they do it up real nice. Didn’t know there was a triangular piece of belly meat! Next time!

Big perch have that belly meat too. (Males more than females this time of year).
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.