The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: For JMZ  (Read 337 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
For JMZ
« on: Feb 11, 2024, 01:40 PM »
You were asking about my ice “measuring device”.................

It is actually a (large) single hook gaff that I bought years ago. Can’t remember where or exactly when. I measured it and marked it in permanent marker. Then, over the years the marker started to wear off, so I re-did it with press-on adhesive backed numbers. Used clear packing tape overtop to keep them from rubbing off.

I like it because it is easy to “hook” the underside of the ice and the numbers show up well in pics. I also like it because I can use it to hook larger fish (especially toothy ones) that can be difficult to get out of the hole. I also use it to pull up the line on my JawJackers (while still set) to check the bait. (Then I don’t have to kneel on the ice or bend over much) I like things that are multi-use!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
Re: For JMZ
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2024, 02:27 PM »
Search HT Polar Gaff

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2024, 05:35 PM »
That’s it George! It apparently comes with a ruler on it now, but it is marked from the end of the handle towards hook, so good for measuring fish, but not the ice.

https://north40.com/ht-polar-gaff-with-ruler-24

Where's the FISH?!

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2024, 07:16 AM »
I have a scoop that's etched on the handle.  Same concept as the gaf hook the bottom of the ice and see how thick it is

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.