Author Topic: Snacks on the ice?? whats yours??  (Read 15760 times)

Offline PlumberFishin5

• IceShanty Rookie
  • OOoooo you know.
Snacks on the ice?? whats yours??
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:39 PM »

When your planing for a day on the ice what snacks or food you bring?? We usually bring the classic venison, also some duck and on the real long days its the chili. :o
So if ya got a good ice fishing snack or recipe id like to see what we get for varieties :tipup: 

Thanks,
                                       The Plumber
You Gotta Hook A Fish To Catch A Fish!

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
Re: Snacks on the ice?? whats yours??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:45 PM »
I break out the portable grill and cook up some red hots, if the fishing is slow
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Is beer a snack......?

Offline IceHawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icefishing is as close to heaven as i can get!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:52 PM »
i just bring a couple good ole pb&j sandwhiches some chips'cookies and a couple soda's.and a thermos full of coffee.i only have one friend that i go with and never really tried fry'in something up out there.maybe this year?

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Our traditional meal is Boar's Head hot dogs cooked in sauerkraut and beer. The key is to drain all the liquid out of the sauerkraut and replace with Yuengling. And you can be sure that as soon as you take that first bite you'll get a flag and end up eating the thing cold. If it's a really long day we make eggs and sausage for breakfast. Haven't figured out how to fit beer into that recipe yet.

Offline IceHawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icefishing is as close to heaven as i can get!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Is beer a snack......?
onotherwords a porkchop!lol thats an idea to??

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Thermos full of coffee, and some hot chocolate. Clam chowder or beefaroni  heated up and eaten right out of the can for simple cooking. Burgers and sausages for cookouts. Fresh Perch or Walleye when caught.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline PlumberFishin5

• IceShanty Rookie
  • OOoooo you know.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Ya beer is a snack, cooking on the ice makes for a good day keeps ya warm all ya need is the ol propane one or two burner cooking stove and a pan!!!!!!
it makes it interesting trying to cook when u keep getting flags tho :tipup: :tipup: ;D anybody cook straight off the wood fire?
You Gotta Hook A Fish To Catch A Fish!

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:05 PM »
Our traditional meal is Boar's Head hot dogs cooked in sauerkraut and beer. The key is to drain all the liquid out of the sauerkraut and replace with Yuengling. And you can be sure that as soon as you take that first bite you'll get a flag and end up eating the thing cold. If it's a really long day we make eggs and sausage for breakfast. Haven't figured out how to fit beer into that recipe yet.

Yuengling is great!!! :thumbsup: I haven't gotten to have one since I was out east and I wish they would distribute it out west further. We don't get to fancy on the ice just some beef jerkey, pringles and snickers. I'd like to get a bigger house and bring a large crowd then I would imagine we would get a nicer menu.

Offline icekid1891

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:17 PM »
venison, burgers, dogs, fish when caught. some fruit snaks chips thermos full of coffee. pretty much anything that will keep you from growing hungry on the ice!  ;D

Offline icemountainman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:53 PM »
venison summer sausage
removed

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:13 PM »
Beef/Pig Jerky, pistachios, Beer, Frozen Twinkees, Clam Chowder, Red Bull, Coffee, and Cocco.  I may bring out the smoker this year and do turkey legs for all that smell the goodness.  First I brine them in soy, brown sugar all day then smoke over hickory for 6-8 hours.

Now I'm hungry!!!!

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:27 PM »
we always bring vension or sandwiches if i dont feel like cookin.sometimes we do breakfast and when we do its scrambled eggs and sausage.a ham steak hits the spot too.and yes the beer is usually goin down by 8 or so.and blackberrybrandy for those extra cold days.

Offline bobbyjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:06 PM »
chedder brats on the grill

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:10 PM »
I vacuum seal leftovers. I always carry a pot on the ice. Then it's just boil some water on the Mr Heater, drop a bag in, and enjoy. Have had everything from turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, and stuffing to goulash. I love my FoodSaver.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Cast iron skillet over a fire cooking venison or venison sausage.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:06 PM »
  After thinking of what to bring last year I thought I would make it simple. Peanut Butter and Smuckers Starwberry Preserves sandwiches, 2 of them w/coffee and some xx-sharpe cheese for later with Gatorade......

Offline walleyeman02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:11 PM »
i bring out some labbats blue light,,, moose sausage, deer sausage, and some fresh whitefish from lake superior! the best!

Offline flybuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Whatevers cheap at the closest gas station ;D Cause i always forget to pack something  :P usually jerky,trailmix something like that

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I like HOT sausage with cheese, smothered with green peppers & onions! :thumbsup:
My choice of drinks , would be Pepsi, Capt. Morgan or Rolling Rocks! maybe a hot chocolate early morning ;D
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline Instantperception

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:36 PM »

Stouts go very well with breakfast, especially a coffee stout...........that is how i fit it in my breakfast plans   ;D

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:18 PM »
I'm one of three that just go with regular pb&j and coffee...but keep the beer close by just in case I want a couple

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Sunflower seeds and jerky. Hate leaving if nature calls and it always seems to happen when the bite heats up.   :unsure:

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:57 PM »
Never been much of an eater or drinker on the ice. Usually pack jerky, a few cold cut sandwiches and water. I normally leave the sandwiches in the truck for the ride home. IMO, if ya have enough time to set up camp and cook food in between fish.....either you are in the wrong spot, or ya made plans to hang with a bunch of buds, for a day of camaraderie. My normal tactics are "gun and run". I prefer not to sit on a "dead hole" for very long

Offline Fatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2010, 01:46 AM »
Nothing better than a fresh venison breakfast sausage,egg and cheese on a hardroll once all the tip ups are out.  Watching the steam come off your hands from the egg yoke that's dripping down your arm.. It does not get any better than that.

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:27 PM »
we set up the shanty then turn on the buddy heater and throw a couple pre-thawed breakfast hotpockets wrapped in foil on top of it, then go out and drill our tip-up holes. When you're done drilling you come back to a warm shanty and breakfast is ready, relax with a cup of coffee and wait for the flags to fly! After that it's a mix of sunflower / pumkin seeds, jerky or trailmix throughout the day. If we're out all day then the sausage, peppers and onions cooked in guiness or dark beer and thrown in a warm roll is a must!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:28 PM »
beer  ;)...but this year the weber lil joe is gonna be bqing more... ;D

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:29 PM »
venison with homefries and eggs for breakfast , chili or soup with sandwiches for lunch and a variety of meats on a cooker or fire with side dishes for afternoon . throw in random snacks throughout the day and i am a happy boy . gotta keep the boiler fueled ;D

Offline RobLII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:15 PM »
with the coleman gas stove, bacon and eggs on rolls in the morning, then hotdogs and hamburgers as needed. And of course some beer.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Venison and Scooter Pies
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.