New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339128 times)

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #1170 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Fished Harris on Sunday. Fished all the way out to Long Island, only getting dinks. Finally caught a decent perch out from the island and could see more on the flasher that wouldn't bite so I started throwing everything at them. Finally started catching them on a small, chartreuse, tungsten jig with a fly tied just above it. Kept 30 between 11 and 14 inches from noon to 3:00 all from the same hole. Needed fresh spikes worked up from the very bottom and also a strike indicator as they hit very lightly. Best day of 5 on the king this year.
seems to be the deal for me..much bigger perch over there then vets this yr but harder to locate for me.. i have been limiting out on otherside of lake everytime but 9 to 10 inch fish..i fished harrs in early feb and got a dozen fish but they were big!
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1171 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:12 PM »
seems to be the deal for me..much bigger perch over there then vets this yr but harder to locate for me.. i have been limiting out on otherside of lake everytime but 9 to 10 inch fish..i fished harrs in early feb and got a dozen fish but they were big!

I fished Huddle a couple of times this year and although I probably caught almost 200 each day, only had about half a dozen keepers each time. Just couldn't find much of anything over 7 or 8".

Offline ADKsasquatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1172 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Absurd fish...truly 1 in a million! Way to go Tony!

Offline Mourning after

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1173 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:23 PM »
 ;DHello everyone ,I'm a newbie too ice shanty, however I've met a lot of u on the ice or 307 and most of u are great people, and that's why I joined..... Anyways. About the golden laker,I travel a lot during the year too fish, and have noticed a common denominator or possible explanation....this fish is not albino,it is a genetic deformation and it is a laker,not hybrid,not a hatchery fish..it is native too lake George...in my travels I have noticed in waters containing zebra mussels these mutations seem to happen more often,but still rare...Im not a biologist but it's known the mussels effect the the lowest of the food chain, starting with plankton either by eating the source or clearing the water its effects work its way through the food chain causing nutritional deficancys....eventual ly evolving too something like the golden laker, I've even seen sunfish turned a copper color....will it become a out break? I don't think so...because typically u would need both parents too have the missing gene..or too many..but even if u had 2 golden lakers spawn together they could spawn perfectly normal lakers...it's more of a fish particular mutation..the minnow had a deficancy and either missing a gene or chromoson..or had too many ..the 2 issues combined caused the mutation.....Jeremy. Awesome. Fish!!!! Love the new hummingbird and shanty

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #1174 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:56 PM »
;DHello everyone ,I'm a newbie too ice shanty, however I've met a lot of u on the ice or 307 and most of u are great people, and that's why I joined..... Anyways. About the golden laker,I travel a lot during the year too fish, and have noticed a common denominator or possible explanation....this fish is not albino,it is a genetic deformation and it is a laker,not hybrid,not a hatchery fish..it is native too lake George...in my travels I have noticed in waters containing zebra mussels these mutations seem to happen more often,but still rare...Im not a biologist but it's known the mussels effect the the lowest of the food chain, starting with plankton either by eating the source or clearing the water its effects work its way through the food chain causing nutritional deficancys....eventual ly evolving too something like the golden laker, I've even seen sunfish turned a copper color....will it become a out break? I don't think so...because typically u would need both parents too have the missing gene..or too many..but even if u had 2 golden lakers spawn together they could spawn perfectly normal lakers...it's more of a fish particular mutation..the minnow had a deficancy and either missing a gene or chromoson..or had too many ..the 2 issues combined caused the mutation.....Jeremy. Awesome. Fish!!!! Love the new hummingbird and shanty

I am well aware of that in other, warm water species of fish ie; black bass.   

Have you seen other lake trout that had that?  Other salmonids?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1175 on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:02 PM »

good to know...and welcome.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1176 on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:23 PM »
I fished Huddle a couple of times this year and although I probably caught almost 200 each day, only had about half a dozen keepers each time. Just couldn't find much of anything over 7 or 8".

I had the same experience last week out from Bixby road must have caught over 100 in the morning and biggest were 4 fish of 9 inches. 

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #1177 on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:44 PM »

Today started out lousy, I had to take my #2 son to work, not far from our town, then I had to do a turn around, 7 miles, to pick up a guy to go fishing today. When I got to his house thyere wasn't a sign of life, I knocked on the door, 5 min, no answer, now I'm getting upset. I decided to call him from my cell, when I picked up my cell I got a message waiting, he had called @ 1:15 am & left a message that he just got home from playing poker & a few beers, & he didn't think he'd make it this morning. Now I'm more than a little upset. I then preceded to head to the lake, later than I like to be. I got to the parking area & got my sled out of the truck & got dressed to go on the ice. When I got out to the spot I wanted to fish, & I set up. I went to reach for my cell phone to see what time it was & I couldn't find it. OK, I can do without it cause I had my GPS w/me. It was 8:30 1.5 hour later than I wanted to be out. I got my lure to the bottom, fish started to show up on the screen, great, hooked in to 1, nice laker, went to reach for my camera, not there, back @ the truck, I hope! From that point on I had a great day I landed 22 lakers, & I kept 1. I do have a pic of that. My total for the yr. is now 141 lakers.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #1178 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:22 PM »
first i just want to thank everyone for all the comments about the day i had out with my family,my kids are almost pros at this ice fishing thing,my boy now 3 has been fishing since he was 6months,can't wait to get them on some bigger fish.i will get them out at least 2 or 3 more trips and i'm hoping to get a few trips with just the wife...hint hint there ice wanderer(grandpa).

yes prchslyr we deff need to get all the lil ones out together someplace and soon

IW wtg with the lakers today

bird if you need a hand trading some work for access i would be more than happy to help out

jon ny/ct just making sure you don't forget........you suck  ;D

Offline fishertom34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TROUT FEVER !
« Reply #1179 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:53 PM »

i know the feeling when,you get there late,all your determination and still crushed em! that's the best.what is your goal for total Lakers?

Today started out lousy, I had to take my #2 son to work, not far from our town, then I had to do a turn around, 7 miles, to pick up a guy to go fishing today. When I got to his house thyere wasn't a sign of life, I knocked on the door, 5 min, no answer, now I'm getting upset. I decided to call him from my cell, when I picked up my cell I got a message waiting, he had called @ 1:15 am & left a message that he just got home from playing poker & a few beers, & he didn't think he'd make it this morning. Now I'm more than a little upset. I then preceded to head to the lake, later than I like to be. I got to the parking area & got my sled out of the truck & got dressed to go on the ice. When I got out to the spot I wanted to fish, & I set up. I went to reach for my cell phone to see what time it was & I couldn't find it. OK, I can do without it cause I had my GPS w/me. It was 8:30 1.5 hour later than I wanted to be out. I got my lure to the bottom, fish started to show up on the screen, great, hooked in to 1, nice laker, went to reach for my camera, not there, back @ the truck, I hope! From that point on I had a great day I landed 22 lakers, & I kept 1. I do have a pic of that. My total for the yr. is now 141 lakers.
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1180 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Good day.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #1181 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:05 PM »
i know the feeling when,you get there late,all your determination and still crushed em! that's the best.what is your goal for total Lakers?
           I really haven't thought of it, I did hit 157 lakers 2 yrs. ago. But I had a much longer season.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1182 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:05 PM »

heres a couple more of the weekend rookie lol

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1183 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Pretty good pics of widestone, how'd you get them from a mile apart ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1184 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Pretty good pics of widestone, how'd you get them from a mile apart ;)

yo dude after seeing the moon walk , you ask a question like that , next you will want the gps cords for the perch and eye slam that happened on Oneida today lol

Offline Mourning after

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1185 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:02 PM »
I am well aware of that in other, warm water species of fish ie; black bass.   

Have you seen other lake trout that had that?  Other salmonids?
yes I have... In brown trout and rainbows, more than anything else,there's is a ton of species of trout throughout the country, that are mutations of one sort of another, I fish salmon river, Lake Ontario and the st lawerence river a lot... Zebra mussels have invaded Ontario and st lawerence and that's where I've seen the most odd color variations, the last 2 years in Pulaski we been seeing coho salmon that are odd colored and we even caught cohos that appear too look like a king cross breed.... Now u could easily say that they are cross breeding for a explanation, but these fish are native in Alaska and are though out the Great Lakes, and just turning up now in Ontario the last few years, so too me it's a mutation in the genes that allowing them too be compatible,  now obviously it's not the case with the golden laker... But just saying these things are becoming more frequent, if I figure out how too post pics, I have a pic of a tiger striped king salmion from salmon river this year,   I have seen a few golden browns and steel head also... And I'm sure this happens more often the we think in lake George however the pike and other lakers get a hold of these beautiful specimens before the mature....

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #1186 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:11 PM »
To the kind residence that live at the end of lake rd.
I would like to take a moment to sincerely thank you, not many individuals that live on this lake allow safe access through their property.  Already this season places have become posted.  Not all people may respect what you are giving, but I know many that do.  We try hard to clean up after the inconsiderate.  Many memories have come from your access.  I and others would hate to lose it.  My name is Andrew Ladd.  My phone number is (518) 955-****, if there is anything I can do to assist you in any way, feel free to contact me.  If there are any property maintenance issues, or even if you would like some boneless perch fillets, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Again thank you for being so generous.

Sincerely, Andrew Ladd
  P.S.   this is a  YOUTUBE video link, my 4 year old son hooking a lake trout.  A memory thanks in part to you.                                                   

Great post Andy.  I'm in if you need me. 

This is the letter I left him three days prior.  I would like to think, that if this gentleman reaches out, others such as your self slayer would assist me if available.  And I'm putting it out their that If others have a place similar, might go along way to show your appreciation, ill help anyone with anything so if you know a spot that could use repair ill be a part of the team.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1187 on: Feb 26, 2013, 03:11 AM »
Great day Jeff, keep it up.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1188 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:37 AM »
I don't know quite were  you guys access but im more then willing to help out if you need a hand. Iv got a ton of tools and access to quite a bit of equipment so let me know. I can also bring a dude or two to help. Good luck with the perch bird im going to try the king again this weekend im just hoping that the ice is ok after this warm week. Iv just started figuring out these lakers it cant be over yet.

Offline jperson22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1189 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Finally got to the the King this year its been a long time coming for sure and didnt disappoint me one bit we fished about 80Flo and caught 5 keepes on tipups and caught 2 on jig rods with swedish pimples with chunks of sucker.Got there a little late but am going back with a friend supper early on thurs ..anyone that is familar with the ice there ...do you think the ice be affect6ed badily by thursday? i was drilling 10 to 12 inches about a half mile off of Vet Park.ANY info would be appreciated :tipup:

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #1190 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Here are a few perch over 10 inches caught by myself Saturday between 2-5pm , notice the quite large bullhead I caught over 45 ft. of water, 10 foot down, thinking it was a laker on the LX-5.  It was just short of 16 inches, a couple lbs.  I have never seen a bullhead this big, never caught one through the ice...My partner fished there all day sorting through the small ones to take his limt of 10inch plus perch home..   :icefish:     Barebow

The picture does not do justice to his girth...

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1191 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:43 PM »
nice pics.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1192 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:54 AM »
this threads got pretty quite this week. Hows the ice holding up out there with the warm temps?

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1193 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:29 AM »
Threads will get "quiet"...when access points are lost....Sorry to say I feel the internet has had a large effect on fishing....Was bad enough just by word of mouth years ago....I caught a large brown at a local lake, at 2 pm on a Friday....Took it home and got a few pictures....told four guys(friends and family)....showed no one....Next day there were over twenty people on the spot I was fishing the day before... ::) Not that it wasn't public, it was...but many had tried and failed, and now had new enthusiasm to try again....just like when someone kills a huge buck in an area....go put it in the local contest...see how many people show up there to hunt...with no internet exposure....just word of mouth, or general knowledge of where you hunt....fishing is the same....everyone wants to catch fish....if they aren't where they can go...they will go where you are catching them, when they hear it or see it.....as far as the ice goes, the air temps have been warm....but the breezes blowing and nights cool....thinking it isn't melting to much....this snow dump may put more slush on it though, which will help things if it warms again.....water warms quicker than a snow pack blanket....

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #1194 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Are the loon or loons still around out there north of Canoe Island?  Saturday I thought I was going crazy when I kept hearing a loon and later saw someone on a quad parked near a bird on the ice and walking up to it.  Not sure what eventually happened or what was wrong with the bird.   

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1195 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:44 AM »
Are the loon or loons still around out there north of Canoe Island?  Saturday I thought I was going crazy when I kept hearing a loon and later saw someone on a quad parked near a bird on the ice and walking up to it.  Not sure what eventually happened or what was wrong with the bird.   

read this  ;)

http://www.myhuntingforum.com/hunting_forum/index.php?topic=8833.0 
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline ART

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1196 on: Feb 27, 2013, 10:55 AM »
I heard them call Saturday out by pilots nob thought i was crazy
Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Benfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1197 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:24 PM »
It's hard to believe that we are only a few weeks away from open water. Seems like Lake George has produce well for everyone this year. I have to admit, it was my best year for perch that I can remember. Maybe it was the lack of ice last over the past 2 years that helped.

I have a question for you local guys; is there a good open water fishing forum like iceshanty.com for the rest of the year? I've learned a lot and I like knowing what's going on up here in upstate NY. Please post a link if there is such a forum.. thanks

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #1198 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:31 PM »

I have a question for you local guys; is there a good open water fishing forum like iceshanty.com for the rest of the year? I've learned a lot and I like knowing what's going on up here in upstate NY. Please post a link if there is such a forum.. thanks

Yes, our sister site Myfishfinder.com

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1199 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Yes, our sister site Myfishfinder.com
Awesome. Was wondering the same thing. Just registered. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.