Author Topic: crappies this time of year?  (Read 5546 times)

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
crappies this time of year?
« on: Oct 14, 2006, 04:47 AM »
can anyone help with some info on where to look for crappies this time of year till iceup? i know where they are on a lake near me once the ice is on. they are suspended over 30' of water. just wondering if anyone knows if they would be close right now to where they spend there time under the ice. or should i look shallower? thanks for the help

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: crappies this time of year?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2006, 09:16 AM »
shallow weeds. It helps if you can find minnows too
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2006, 10:07 AM »

Fish as close to the weed line as you can 8)

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2006, 10:10 AM »
around dusk.... ;)
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2006, 06:05 PM »
the lake that i'm fishing is a dark murky lake and it has absolutely zero weeds in it. so any other suggestions. it is a 1529 acre man made lake in ohio and it has no weeds in it with a maximum depth of 30 feet and an average depth of 10' the lake has very steep drop offs that start right from the shorelines and there are tons of trees laying in the water that have fell over off the shore. i know they fish the trees along the shoreline in the spring and the 30 foot water under the ice but noone really crappie fishes this time of year that i know.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2006, 06:10 PM »
the lake that i'm fishing is a dark murky lake and it has absolutely zero weeds in it. so any other suggestions. it is a 1529 acre man made lake in ohio and it has no weeds in it with a maximum depth of 30 feet and an average depth of 10' the lake has very steep drop offs that start right from the shorelines and there are tons of trees laying in the water that have fell over off the shore. i know they fish the trees along the shoreline in the spring and the 30 foot water under the ice but noone really crappie fishes this time of year that i know.

I'd go back to the trees and try that with bobbers and ice jgs  tipped with spikes or waxies or fatheads. if that doesnt work I'd get out the flasher and find them suspended in 30 fow use lighter line and an icefishing rod. use an anchor or 2 so you'll stay in one spot :) Experiement thats the best way to find out :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2006, 11:00 PM »
thanks fishking i'll give it a try

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2006, 09:43 AM »
Fishingking is right on the money, but I would like to add one thing. Try backtrolling those breaks like you would for walleyes. Sometimes I like to troll a lead head jig with curly tail grub. to adjust your depth, change the speed or the weight of the jig. Use an electric motor, gas ones are too noisy for this. Crappies seem to be either stuck on cover, (those downed trees) or scattered on structure this time of year. These patterns can change daily, so don't get to comfortable with one approach. ;D

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2006, 02:04 PM »
I've also done very well, just slightly bouncing a jig in the top 10"  of the water along the weedline..  They seem to bite up...   and I can't say it enough..  DUSK... ;)
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

camo_fish

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2006, 05:48 AM »
I'm going today and I'll be slam'n em.  ;)2 :flex:
Last week they were school'd up in 3'-6' on the weed edge and wood.  8)

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2006, 12:54 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys i'm going this week to give it a try. i'll let you know how i do.

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:51 AM »

Hey falbinki, where in the Buckeye state do you live ? i am from Ohio also maybe i can help you out, and maybe i have fished the lake you are talking about.                 GO BUCKS !!

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2006, 08:38 AM »
i'm about 20 miles south of canton. it's atwood lake where i am fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.