Author Topic: Fish don't want anything I have.  (Read 1473 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Fish don't want anything I have.
« on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:12 PM »
I have a lake I go to out here in Colorado with Crappie,Pike and Perch in it. I have a fish finder and it shows masses of fish swimming by and I get 3 bites in 5 hours. The fish keep coming by and at one point I would say at least 50 fish in one group. I am not much of a Crappie or Perch fisherman but hey I tried little tiny jigs,Slender spoons and tipped with Meal worms and or Maggots.  This was the second time out there and the same thing happened last time. I talked to others and they are saying the same thing as me. The fish just are not interested in anything. One guy thinks the Pike are keeping them moving and that is why they wont hit. I think no matter what if the fish are hungry they will hit regardless of the pike.The lake is 1/3rd it's regular size so the fish are bunched up I would guess.

Any idea's on this?
<===Lefty===

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish don't want anything I have.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:35 PM »
You sure they're Crappie and not some other baitfish? If the water's down that much they could be anything and would think Crappie would hit most anything seen due to lack of regular habitat and loss of some food sources

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:39 PM »
I would say its some sort of bait fish.  Screw the crappie.  drop that jig on the bottom and raise it a few inches, then rip the lips of some perch

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Just a guess the fish are stressed  for some reason ,low oxygen? Some times when the fish are negative you cant buy a bite. Sooner or later the fish will feed. If the oxygen level is critical the fish will swim right under the ice and even come right up the hole.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Never seen any bait fish in the lake. As far as I know there are Catfish,Crappie,Perch,Pike,Some Bass, Possibly a very few Trout left and I think there are Carp in there.
<===Lefty===

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:35 PM »
shut the finder off for awhile and just fish...if they're active panfish and you are using the right gear you're gonna get em...if they are inactive, try fishing night or morning before sun comes up...if you're still getting nothing and know that the "schools" are not bait then leave it till last ice....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:56 AM »
I was thinking to try it out late day or early morning. It is just that I have never had such a hard time catching fish out of that lake. The snow on the lake tells me a lot. It tells me that there are not too many people even trying to catch fish there. Usually there is a lot of people there and I could probably count the holes out there in no time at all.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.