Author Topic: weeds?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline upsavr

• Team IceShanty Regular
weeds?
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:28 PM »
What support of bottom or structure do you look for?  Do you fish for crappies in weeds, edge of weeds,no weeds, dropoff, structure?
What do you look for in regards to crappie habitat?
Thanks

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: weeds?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:22 PM »
What type and where is the FOOD at the time one's there looking for them. Each body of water tends to be unique in the where, when and why they are where they are. Daytime, generally look for deeper water off a weedy flat/cove and often come across fish at the depth of the deepest weed growth. Night, just off the same weeds on the flat/cove and if one comes across a good sized fairly open horseshoe shaped area, it's worth a good lengthy shot. Area can be 5-20+ ft deep with them usually about half way, or more, down and looking up, but have had them come in with either their belly on the bottom or back scraping the ice. They tend to roam, you could be in the right place, just the wrong time. Not uncommon to catch a few, they circle off and then come back 10, 15, 30+ minutes later.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2013, 02:46 AM »
I'm having trouble locating as well... Fished a small lake (10 ac) this fall and caught some real slabbers, thought I'd kill come ice time. I've been 3x and have only gotten 1, at the deepest spot in the lake.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2013, 02:51 AM »
I been catching them in heaviest weeds I can find and still fish. Shallow.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:16 AM »
Tried in shallow some, no takers. Moved deeper to avoid weed interferance. I was seeing movement in the weeds, but couldn't distinguish and had no chasers and nothing suspended.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:32 AM »
Blufloyd is right on the money. Shallow in the weeds. Use a camera and look for them. Once you see em. Drill more holes. and hole hope. Put the Vex away. Shallow and weedy.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Depends on the lakes one lake I fish is 15 feet max and I caught a mess in the weeds the other day. If the lake is deeper I usually look for a drop off and fish the deep water right after the drop.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.