Author Topic: Crappie mount  (Read 6598 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Crappie mount
« Reply #30 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:32 PM »
Nice update!  Very interesting

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:41 AM »
It appears I have successfully pellet trained about half of the 500 + 3 to 4 inch fish I put in the tank. I discarded the other half  as they just weren't taking to the pellets and kept getting skinnier and skinner. It's amazing how long a fish can go without feeding!

The hatchery they came from said I was the first one to successfully feed train their hybrids! I think I would have had better success if they had been smaller, as in about an inch, as the larger fish get, the more difficult it is to train them to feed on pellets. Of course it depends on the species. Bluegill and tilapia will gravitate to pellets almost instantly!

Anyway, if I can get them to stay on the pellets once planted into the pond, they should grow even faster than hybrids on natural feed, which allegedly grow faster than either whites or blacks, at least the first two years. 

Still seriously considering getting some whites from Salamonie or Mississinewa reservoirs to cross with some blacks I get locally.

Here are a couple with the skinnier one refusing to feed on pellets. You can't really tell in the photo how thin the skinnier one is. I have bigger more robust ones in the tank, but wanted to put two of a similar length side by side.

(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting stuff man! Thats awesome.  Are you raising them for a private pond to eventually catch and eat em? 

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Interesting stuff man! Thats awesome.  Are you raising them for a private pond to eventually catch and eat em?

No, other than being a fish taxidermist, I have a small nice market where raise gamefish species to trophy size, sell them whole frozen, and ship them to other taxidermists from coast to cost. Taxidermists use them for state, national, and world competitions, their show rooms, and for replica casting.

Here's a couple of trout out of the trout pond that won national titles for the taxidermists that bought and mounted them.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:18 AM »
thanks for the response, those are awesome!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:21 AM »
thanks for the response, those are awesome!

Thanks for the interest. Hoping to grow some trophy size crappies now too!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.