Author Topic: Sylvan - Rome city  (Read 7028 times)

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sylvan - Rome city
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Heading out there today after work if anyone else is.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Be careful out there, that ice is getting a little sketchy.   Some of it was starting to drill a little chunky last night.  Guys were still racing there sleds on it, don't think that says anything about ice quality though!  Edges were still holding good to the northwest.  Bite wasn't the best last night but the crappie got active at dusk.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Thanks roe! Got the spud and picks at the rdy just in case.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Nice specks!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:22 PM »
Just eaters, nothing to write home about.  I'd rather not eat them over about 12 anyway. 

I can't get them to take a minnow to save my life.  Lost one good fish on a dead stick, could have been a bass or walleye, didn't get to see it and a 4" caught itself and I didn't realize it was on until it popped out the hole! 

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:46 PM »
Just eaters, nothing to write home about.  I'd rather not eat them over about 12 anyway. 

I can't get them to take a minnow to save my life.  Lost one good fish on a dead stick, could have been a bass or walleye, didn't get to see it and a 4" caught itself and I didn't realize it was on until it popped out the hole!
Black crappie tend to be more bug eaters than minnow eaters. Whites prefer minnows. I think.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Yes, I think you are correct.   We get them on minnows on this lake, usually the better ones.  I just don't have much luck with them.  They love racing past my tungsten and hitting the "high fly" tied above.  Had 2 pairs of doubles.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:19 AM »
those are perfect eaters.  thanks for sharing with us.

we do fine with minnows there but some days they just don't want to hit them.  summer we jig or crank them up.  always been great numbers there but few "hogs".

chum the hole at geanestrapons some night, if you want to tangle with some nice cats threw the ice!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:33 AM »
Got these guys last night and a bunch of dinks.

One came out of no where and the other was at 4ft and didn't hit till I was at the bottom of the hole.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Plenty of short fish out there this year.  But I've got into those in years past also.  I remember 5 years back or so I was counting between 20 and 30 shorts between keepers on Cain basin out in front of GSP.

As far as the crappie go, most we've had this year were in the 8-10 range with a few 12s.  The biggest I saw along side a tape was 14.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Got a mess out of 5 fow tonight.  Only 2 of us out there.  Would've had more crappie but I couldn't get my lantern lit!!

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 28, 2019, 05:31 AM »
Wtg roe!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:45 AM »
It's seems as though there are about a billion 6-7" gills in that basin this year.  Not sure if that's due to the larger fish being harvested or if they are just in other areas of the lake adjacent to deeper water.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:08 AM »
My buddy and I will be out Saturday and may lake hop. Trying to do my research on navionics on where to go to see if it pays off a little more. Still pretty new at this but my kids love to fish and I'd like to teach them better, just on better ice lol.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #44 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:24 AM »
nice pile, bummer about the lantern.

isn't anyone getting any eyes out there?  they should be stacking up back at brady's. 

OANN the real story

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I got some spoons and raps I've been meaning to try out. We are stopping to get minnows so let's hope for my first eye lol.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #46 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:50 AM »
shoot, use small perch or gills on those tip ups.  that's what they are eating anyhow in there.

good luck to ya!  hope to see a pic later of your 26"eye!

OANN the real story

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I'd love to catch a 26 since my fiancee has me beat from last year off summit lake. 21 inch

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Talked to a guy out there that claimed to have taken over 20 on shiners this season.  I've seen a couple caught on panfish jigging poles.  I've had some shiners down with no luck.  Bass are thick.  May put some bluegill down soon.  Catching more bluegill with teeth marks than I am ones over 8"!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:44 AM »
yeah you better! lol

what about the perch? anyone catching any of those at all there? 

I mentioned cats too.  we used to get them after dark fishing for crappie there, threw the ice.  sylvan has some chunky 12#+ cats also.  im guessing most just snap lines. lol 

OANN the real story

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Might try tomorrow evening.  We get a few perch over there but no numbers I assume due to no deep water being close.  Always seem to get more perch on other basins. Been getting a few bullheads in the 10-15" range, no other kitties but not fishing for them.  The bullheads come on panfish jigs.  I hate it when I get broke off and just have no idea what it was!  Happens to me several times every year out there.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 02, 2019, 07:52 AM »
First one on the ice. Took 10 minutes after drilling a buddies hole. Keep ta posted

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Anything

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 02, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Caught me some dinks, a perch with the skin pulled back on it. We ended up leaving to go to Lower Long Lake so hopefully we will get more bites

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 02, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Back here for the night bite. Out of no where....

Not a keeper but first ever walleye so ill take it

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 02, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Nice, buddy and I fished bradys, only 2 out there until late.  I heard they shut down the parking at GSP due to trash, not sure if it's true.  Wouldn't surprise me though, I picked a lot of trash off the ice this week,  dead fish and cigarette butts everywhere.  Maybe that's why there was not another person out there.  Buddy and I kept about 40 a piece.  2 other guys came out late. Caught the fish in 4-5fow some right under the ice on red flies with no bait.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #56 on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:37 AM »
that's too bad a bout GSP if true.  maybe they are worried about the ice this late in the year?

thinking about it, that would be a good way for the locals to get access shut down somewhere, like that.  most of the time that's not needed.  the general public seems to do a good enough job trashing places.  few years back I helped some friends put in a new dock.  the next spring I was up there and noticed a bunch, I mean a bunch, of puncture marks all over it.  people were using his dock in winter to access the ice with cleats on!  totally ruined the surface of his expensive new dock.  someone took a dump in his little boat setting on shore a couple years back too. I have seen guys in the store with cleats on also. that has to be good on it. lol  had my trailor lights run into twice over the years, with no note or nothing.  watched a guy run over, yes over(with the front of his monster 4wheeler truck) another guys trailer at lake George ramp, and drive off.  no regard for anyone else's stuff seems to be the norm.  you know they have to be thinking about it, but still do it anyhow.  shaking head :(

OANN the real story

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:57 AM »
I was out there but the ice was talking to much so we left gps. I didn't see another sign besides signing in and stuff. When we got on about 10am there were 2 walking off. Went over to chain o lakes but didn't see anyone out there so went over to Lower Long Lake. The bank was open a bit at the ramp and I'm not using someone's dock to get on without permission so it was back to sylvan. The one thing I do hate about summit is yeah the trash. Went out the first time there and was tossing plastics from beemoths and beer bottles into my sled as I was walking to find a spot to fish. My buddies nephew came out for a bit and showed us up by hitting the gills on almost every hole he dropped down. I'll take a pic of the mess we got today some time after the lady and my kids get breakfast in them. We were in about 6 to 7 foe, and it really kicked off right before sun down. Left the lake about 9 or so. Got off the ice and realized my buddy didnt see that the shanty fell off the sled and had to go back lol. Man those sleds on that ice can really move with weight on them with little effort!

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:43 AM »

The mess we got last night. The weird thing is we had to sort a lot but a lot of the dinks would come back up to the hole and wouldn't swim down.... not sure what was going on so instead of leaving dead fish on the ice we just keep the ones that didn't go down. No point in wasting fish.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Nice mess! I got a couple questions about your post. First is,are you sure you were on Lower and not Upper Long? The reason I ask Lower has no public access, Upper does! And second were you still referencing Sylvan when you mentioned trash on Summit? If still referencing Sylvan I totally agree about the trash problem at that lake, year round! Sad the people up there don't seem to give a sh** about the place they fish. Their homes are probably in the same shape! Hex

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.