New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing keuka lake  (Read 31395 times)

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
fishing keuka lake
« on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:23 PM »
  Last year was my first year ice fishing and I live in Hammondsport so keuka lake is just a stone throws away. I got spoiled as it being my first year and was able to fish the state park in branchport for lake trout. They are my favorite fish to eat. So my question is on the penn yan side is it mainly gills and perch or can you get into some trout?

Offline skells23

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fishing keuka lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Yes you are correct pen yann is mainly bluegill perch crappie pickerel bass I've fished that end of the lake for 10 years and never caught or heard of a laker caught but you never know. Lakers are more likely to be caught in deeper water

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:41 PM »
I saw the biggest pike of my life come out of the Penn Yan side bout 6 years ago. Guy caught it on a 12" sucker minnow. He also caught a 6.5 lb bass on the same thing.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:58 AM »
i've grown up on keuka for almost 40 yrs. Also went to hammondsport high school for a little bit. done my fair share of fishing on the lake. don't get to used to fishing for lakers through the ice in branchport. doesn't happen every year. only a few times a decade from my experience. hope it happens again this year. sometimes if it freezes from penn yan down to the Switz. you can get lake trout on that side of the lake if it freezes that far. PY north end is better for pickerel, bass, perch, gills, seeds, and an occasional pike

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:08 AM »
i've grown up on keuka for almost 40 yrs. Also went to hammondsport high school for a little bit. done my fair share of fishing on the lake. don't get to used to fishing for lakers through the ice in branchport. doesn't happen every year. only a few times a decade from my experience. hope it happens again this year. sometimes if it freezes from penn yan down to the Switz. you can get lake trout on that side of the lake if it freezes that far. PY north end is better for pickerel, bass, perch, gills, seeds, and an occasional pike

40 years!!  And here I thought you were a young pup..

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:47 AM »
40 years!!  And here I thought you were a young pup..

i'll be 39 in 2 weeks Mike. been fishing ever since i could hold a pole. i still learn alot from YOU every time we are out

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:22 PM »
thanks everybody. good info

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:25 PM »
Not a single report yet on IS anyone has been fishing yet on keuka. Bet guys are out at the north end. Can anyone confirm this? I know branchport side is iceless (if that's a word, lol) as of 1/14

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:36 PM »
 I am going to take a ride over to Penn yan tomorrow late afternoon to get bait to fish waneta on Saturday and I will ask. It will be dark so I wont to be able to see the ice.

Offline tenringtaylor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:03 AM »
I plan on cutting a couple holes in front of the water treatment plant today and seeing how thick it is. The fresh ice is only 3 days old so at best it might be 2-3inches.
I'll post tonight the results.

Offline tenringtaylor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:08 PM »
I fished it today. The new ice is 3-4 thick

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:21 PM »
i'll be 39 in 2 weeks Mike. been fishing ever since i could hold a pole. i still learn alot from YOU every time we are out

Please.....quit it.......hes got a monster ego already ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:26 PM »
I fished it today. The new ice is 3-4 thick

What are you calling "new ice"? On the channel.....out deep?

I was headed there today, but this morning's temps made me bail. definitely on the agenda for this week.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Please.....quit it.......hes got a monster ego already ;D

RG

You should hear him brag about his golf game

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2015, 06:08 PM »
I have! He's been trying to jade me for years now.

Rg

Offline jdogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Great day on Keuka ice is solid 4" clear caught a nice variety of fish got some great videos from the pancam caught my first crappie I nice one at that and even managed to pull a bullhead out of the ice saw schools of 100s of bluegill on camera but they were not interested in biting yet

Offline perchprince

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:44 PM »
My granddaughter goes to Keuka College. She wants to go ice fishing. Where can we access the lake for perch? Not looking for any secret honey holes, just some legal place to park and not have to drag a mile. Thanks pp

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:02 AM »
My granddaughter goes to Keuka College. She wants to go ice fishing. Where can we access the lake for perch? Not looking for any secret honey holes, just some legal place to park and not have to drag a mile. Thanks pp

indian pines park at north end. about a 5 min drive from the college.

Offline perchprince

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:44 PM »
thanks alot, now i see on google earth where you mean. i was thinking the town launch, that would be a pretty good haul. tight lines. pp

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:48 PM »
thanks alot, now i see on google earth where you mean. i was thinking the town launch, that would be a pretty good haul. tight lines. pp

plus that canal has water that moves through it. definitely dont want to do that walk. glad you found indian pines. pretty easy to locate on google earth or bing maps. good luck

Offline froghill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:50 AM »
Fished north end by pines park yesterday. Was only there from 11:00-1:00 and got a few gills and one crappie. First time ice fishing where I can see bottom that clearly! You guys got a great winter diversion!  :tipup:

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I think the name of the road is old pines trail rd.   There is a small park there next to outlet.   Does anyone no how much ice is in that area.  Would like to try there next week.  A good drive for me.  Visited that area in the spring and really like the area.   Is there any places to lodge in Penn Yan?

Offline froghill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:11 PM »
I had 4" clean ice on Friday. There is a best western right in town($97 a night)
Easy walk to good spots from parking lot.

Offline Jblencowe03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Not a single report yet on IS anyone has been fishing yet on keuka. Bet guys are out at the north end. Can anyone confirm this? I know branchport side is iceless (if that's a word, lol) as of 1/14
Was out fishing Pennyan end of Keuka on Sunday. Ice is about 5-6 inches thick. Went out early afternoon started in shallow water and moved out. Caught about 7 perch but they were dinks.

Offline bigflatsmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:06 AM »
Can anyone report on how far down the Penn Yan branch the ice is safe?  Or where there is access near laker water depths?  Really want to take my son out on Sunday and the access I have is a ways down the lake. 

Thanks in advance!!

Offline oleanjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Anyone going out saturday in search of perch from Penn Yann?  Two of us going to give it a shot for the first time!

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:30 AM »
Can anyone report on how far down the Penn Yan branch the ice is safe?  Or where there is access near laker water depths?  Really want to take my son out on Sunday and the access I have is a ways down the lake. 

Thanks in advance!!
A friend of mine who lives on the lake says its still open water in laker territory. I'd pick a different body of water.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:12 PM »
can you launch a boat at the state park?

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2015, 01:30 PM »
can you launch a boat at the state park?
From what I seen the other day yes it would be possible but you might and to bring some rock salt lol I am sure the docks and banks are a sheet of ice

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:28 PM »
thanks, maybe I will get the boat out this weekend for a little Laker action!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.