New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing keuka lake  (Read 31440 times)

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fishing keuka lake
« Reply #60 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:49 PM »
definitely not a spot that gets ice fished. drops off way to quick there. however, there are some shallow weedy spots . how long has it been frozen down there? is there alot of snow on the ice?

There has been ice for about 3 weeks then we got all of the snow and it broke it up a lot but the head of the lake has stayed mostly froze so the shallow spots maybe good if you know where to go. But I drove from Hammondsport to the bluff today and all but maybe a spot 1/2 a mile by 1/2 mile is skimmed over. Not very much snow on the ice towards Hammondsport.

Offline willsoj560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Has anyone got into Lakers in < 100 fow?

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:33 PM »
I have seen huts set up on the ice at the head of the lake in Hammondsport this week. must be some decent ice.

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Has anyone got into Lakers in < 100 fow?

Yes,  had good luck in 95 ft of water on pen yan branch

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:55 AM »
How much snow did you guys get this week around Pen Yann. I still have a bone to pick with the perch in that lake. I want to bring the wheeler and I know ya can (or could) get almost as far as the pump house (18 fow) before running into the slush. Just wondering how far the lake effect made it south. Be nice to make it out the 30 or so fow.
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:11 PM »
I was out around hewitt point today. No slush at all there.  Everything is frozen solid.  The middle of the lake only had 3 inches of snow, give or take.  The east side of the lake near shore had some deeper drifts from the wind. 

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:36 AM »
Easy spot to access lakers? I am hiking it so any heads up on the easiest walk would be appreciated.  Also, favorite rig/bait for trout?  Thanks!
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 21, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Easy spot to access lakers? I am hiking it so any heads up on the easiest walk would be appreciated.  Also, favorite rig/bait for trout?  Thanks!

Best public access is the State park in Branchport.  As for jigs,  anything white in the 3/8 - 3/4 oz range.  Swedish pimple, tube baits, Curley tails, etc.  good luck

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Fished out of the state park this morning with a couple of friends. Had 6" of black ice a mile SW of the launch. By the time we came in most of the snow had blown off.

We caught about 35 lakers between 3 of us with many in the 6lb range.  It was a great morning. The wind was brutal.

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Cheers to the scumbag who left all the lake trout on the ice at branch port ... Not .... Reall ass. Release them or take them home and eat them. Really pissed me off seen hundred of birds and before I went over there I knew exactly what was going on and when I seen the fish laying there i felt like raging... If I see you doing this I will call DEC and make you suffer your crime. I don't mind garbage here and there it happens but seeing fish laying on the ice because you are a POS pisses me off. Sorry for the profanity just can't stand that!

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:00 PM »
We fished today out of the Branchport state park boat launch.  Did ok on lakers with 13 between 4 of us.  My buddy dropped his camera either on the walk off or in the parking lot.  If anyone finds it please PM me.  Had lots of personal pics he'd like to get back.

Offline jimbo13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Hey  JAYY , how thick is the ice , any machines near Hewitt pnt

Offline jimbo13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:01 AM »
We fished today out of the Branchport state park boat launch.  Did ok on lakers with 13 between 4 of us.  My buddy dropped his camera either on the walk off or in the parking lot.  If anyone finds it please PM me.  Had lots of personal pics he'd like to get back.

Sorry to hear about the lost camera, heading down there on sat , will keep eyes open, how far is the walk off the boat ramp

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Hey  JAYY , how thick is the ice , any machines near Hewitt pnt

I was out last thursday and friday.  Some of the worst weather of the year lol.   There was noone else out besides my group.  We walked from a nearby cottage.

The ice was 11 inches with at least 6-7 of it being good black ice.

Offline hotholes870

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:03 AM »
Its a very short walk 2 hundred yards if that and the ice doesn't have much snow either

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:24 AM »
Sorry to hear about the lost camera, heading down there on sat , will keep eyes open, how far is the walk off the boat ramp
Thanks!  Got a PM from a guy that may have it,  forwarded him the contact info, hard to think it's not his.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Connection made, camera is on it's way home.  Thanks to Crappieonmybass!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline fallatingperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Anyone do very good on the Lakers yesterday seemed like they were looking but hard to get them to bite! Managed a few but just wanted to see if it was me or the bite as the day progressed turned tough.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Anyone do very good on the Lakers yesterday seemed like they were looking but hard to get them to bite! Managed a few but just wanted to see if it was me or the bite as the day progressed turned tough.

i went saturday, but further south to avoid the crowds. landed 9, lost about the same with poor hook sets. had a bunch of lookers though. i say less than 50% of them were takers. alot of them hit while cranking the lure up.

Offline bigcountry315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:58 AM »
talked and watch a guy pull up fish all day like they where in a barrel under his hole, he was at 165 and i dident even mark everything for three ours. packed up and went home. ???   

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Question for the membership.  My ICE55 and another guy's ICE35 fishing near me on Saturday were virtually useless below about 110 feet using tube jigs, etc, even when maxed out on gain.  The Vex users mostly were able to see theirs. I didn't see anyone with a Marcum.  I went back Sunday with an old Piranha 170 sonar and could see everything with no problem.  Are the Birds depth limited, or what?  In Canadice lake, at 90ft, I had no problems. ??? 

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Question for the membership.  My ICE55 and another guy's ICE35 fishing near me on Saturday were virtually useless below about 110 feet using tube jigs, etc, even when maxed out on gain.  The Vex users mostly were able to see theirs. I didn't see anyone with a Marcum.  I went back Sunday with an old Piranha 170 sonar and could see everything with no problem.  Are the Birds depth limited, or what?  In Canadice lake, at 90ft, I had no problems. ???

My buddy had his Hummingbird out there last weekend and it has a tough time marking much over 110' like you said. You would just see little blips here and there. It didn't affect his catch rate though.  ;D

Offline hotholes870

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Have a ice 55 had the the same problem played with the noise and it helped some. As for the depth they both go to 200ft.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:39 AM »
talked and watch a guy pull up fish all day like they where in a barrel under his hole, he was at 165 and i dident even mark everything for three ours. packed up and went home. ???

how deep were you? i had to crank up the sensitivity on my lowrance x67c in order to see the fish and my lure. plus i used the split screen option with it zoomed in 4x. i would fish 140 ft and deeper.

Offline THEiceman49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Fished there with my marcum lx3 yesterday which maxes out at 160 ft
It marks as far as it's rated on about a 6 gain setting same as owasco fishing lakers however it doesn't like all the interference from the flashers when guys set up 20yds from you in 160+ Foot of water. We actually moved because of it. All in all it was a great first trip there though and one I'll be sure to do at least once a year

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Been fishing keuka all season for lake trout college and branch port now since there's been ice but man let me tell you what I can personally see what the pressure from people has done! Bits were far and few in between marking fish was even pretty off marked 2 suspended landed both of them and the rest I marked off the bottom and they were not chasing crap! Packed up walked to the other side and it was like a totally different world marking fish catching fish making what I thought was gunna be a crap day a pretty decent one. Usually everytime I have chased lakers this year I pull up at least 10 personal best day was 17. But man the pressure of 300 people a weekend is killing there drive !

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Mar 02, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Seems to be a lot of guys unhappy with people fishing the lake.  Doesn't surprise me always heard finger lakes folks were famous for their whine.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Mar 02, 2015, 01:41 PM »
ice fishing success isn't always consistent to begin with. could be a feeding frenzy one week. and the next week be dead. or one day from the next can be totally different. even hours. 300 people will have a partial impact as well. alot of factors to consider though. but ya, crazy how the internet blows up a spot. i've been on that lake for 30 years. never seen that before.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Seems to be a lot of guys unhappy with people fishing the lake.  Doesn't surprise me always heard finger lakes folks were famous for their whine.
    LMAO Good one Kev.       It was amazing to see that many people in one area, much like Mayville.
  My Marcum had trouble with the depth past 160 also but the interference from the other flashers really made it tuff, still got-er done though.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:46 PM »
I remember the beginning of last year before everyone blew it up on ice shanty I was there on the first couple weekends with only a handful of people. I went to fish it once this year and drove away because the amount of people there disgusted me, most of us "fingerlakes" guys are unhappy because we like our solitude (that's why we live here and commute 50-60 miles to work everyday)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.