Author Topic: Ways to clean perch?  (Read 22394 times)

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ways to clean perch?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:05 AM »
Always when handling fish, use soft gloves to protect yourself from cuts from your knife, spines and gillplates.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:16 AM »
Always scale the perch, too much meat is wasted skinning.

To each his own, but if I waste any meat, it is in the filleting, not the skinning...in that case, the only difference between skinning and scaling would be personal preference, possibly time, and possibly mess (I tend to have enough scales flying around without scaling in the first place.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:28 AM »
There's no reason anyone should lose meat while taking the skin of if you are using the right type of knife. It needs to be flexible enough that you can get all the meat without the blade piercing the skin.

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:40 PM »
I'm with pikeguy...when I fillet mine all that's left is the head, fins and a little meat the thickness of posterboard running down its back which contains the backbone and bones underneath the dorsal fins...none of which you can eat. 

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:20 PM »
Same here... use a nice sharp fillet knife and you're good to go.

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Work is for days I don't fish!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:27 PM »
 :unsure: :woot:finally! 30 seconds and a good sharp knife! ;D

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2006, 05:49 AM »
Only slackers fail to scale their perch. What is it with you guys, you spend a couple hours driving to go fishing, all day fishing and then rush to clean your fish. Is it you are squeamish about handling fish properly? An extra 15 minutes to scale your fish won't matter. Or are you a bunch of "wuusses" who don't have your mother around to clean up after you?
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

bigdave1018

« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2006, 06:29 AM »
jimski2, everyone in here has their own way to clean and eat fish. my dad, when i was younger, never skinned his fish and we ate more then our share of scales. i said as soon as i can clean my own fish, im never gonna eat scales again , so i skin all my fish. its all a personal preferance so i guess in speaking for many in here by saying TAKE A CHILL PILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.