Author Topic: Giv'n up the ghost!  (Read 1804 times)

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
Giv'n up the ghost!
« on: Oct 09, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Well, I guess it's time to shop for a new vehicle to get me to the fishin spots. My '94 Ranger I bought new has the #1 rod starting to knock pretty bad, but after over 180,000 HARD MILES it's about due. I'm sad to see her go! That lil truck worked harder then 90% of the 1/2 tons running around here, even the 4x4's (you all know the one's, them purty looking grocery getters), throw a set of chains on and go . The only trouble it gave me was a leaking intake gasket at 150,000. Heck, it still doesn't use a quart in 3000 miles. Thought about getting a new motor, but the clutch is going, the tranny has issues (seeing ford makes the 5 speeds with plastic gears(If I knew that sooner I wouldn't have pulled half of what I did for fear of grenading it)), the rear suspension needs a overhaul, and so on... Just doesn't seem cost effective.  Anybody else got the same dilemma, or a good old girl that they would hate to see go?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Giv'n up the ghost!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2007, 12:30 AM »
I have a 95 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban with the 6.5 diesel. 194000 miles and shows no sign of getting wore out.
About all it needs is shocks and tie rod ends. Steering getting a little loose. But other then that, WHAT A MACHINE. At 7400 pounds dry weight, and 33" tires, there isn't much to slow this tank down. BUT, if you do get stuck,
your going to need a tank retriever to get it out. Happened once last year but it was my own fault. I tried to push through snow up to the windshield wipers.

They are more money up front, but a truck with a diesel is the way to go, IMO. Keep the oil changed and they go for about forever. There is no reason not to expect 300000 to 400000 miles with proper maintenance. No plugs and wires to change. The down side is if you do have problems, they will be a lot more money to fix.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2007, 08:35 AM »
had an 85 ranger v6 5 speed, chains will take you about anywhere you need to go ice fishin, they are a great truck....

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2007, 09:37 AM »
They are more money up front, but a truck with a diesel is the way to go, IMO. Keep the oil changed and they go for about forever. There is no reason not to expect 300000 to 400000 miles with proper maintenance. No plugs and wires to change. The down side is if you do have problems, they will be a lot more money to fix.

Never forget the Bio diesel option also.....    A lot of people run it around here with no complaints

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Run it till ya throw that rod.
Yep 95 explorer doing great! amost 180 on her.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:44 PM »
01 Ranger, 115k, still running strong!  (fingers crossed)
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2007, 12:17 PM »
I got a 2000 F150 my wife bought me that's starting to get a little rough.  I'm putting new brakes on this weekend.  I'm hoping to get her to 200K, but it's going to be close.  I'm at 178K now, all I need her to do is get me through the winter.

What are you looking to replace your truck with?  I'd like another truck, but the gas is killing me!  It's tough to throw a deer into a minivan though.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2007, 02:14 PM »
What are you looking to replace your truck with?  I'd like another truck, but the gas is killing me!  It's tough to throw a deer into a minivan though.

Ya just gotta do it when the wife's not looking. Seriously get a tarp.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2007, 05:30 PM »
This is just a rumor I heard but it sounds like one of the manufactures, I think it was GM, in a couple of years, is going to introduce a new diesel pickup that will get in the 28 to 29 mpg range. If your looking toward a new truck, it might pay to wait just a bit.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2007, 11:00 PM »
Yep, I'm in that boat.  Got a 95 suburban 1500 4x4 K series.  Burns oil on startup and has an intake manifold leak.  1 quart oil every 600 miles or so and 1/2 gallon antifreeze mix every 1000 miles.  She has 202,000 miles on her and I'm pretty sure that's the entire problem list.  I'm thinking of getting a reman motor dropped into her since the bulk of the problems are in the engine.  It truly owes me nothing but I love this rig and will shed a tear if I decide to get something else.  Decisions, decisions...

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline boblee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:29 AM »
i have a 98 f 150 4x4 with 276,000 miles on her.....still going strong.  i had a 98 dodge ram with 70,000 on her and she already crap the bed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.