Author Topic: Summer camping in Ice houses  (Read 5866 times)

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Summer camping in Ice houses
« on: Jul 24, 2007, 11:16 AM »
Just got back from the Lake in Northern Minnesota... took my wife on a bike ride one evening when not fishing.. needed to keep the other half happy!  We rode over to a USFS campground and there were two different families camping out in their portable ice houses!! ;D  I wish I had my camera to take a photo to post but didnt.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Summer camping in Ice houses
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2007, 02:38 PM »
Very common in these parts! Some guys will dump 10 grand plus into a shack and use it for their camper in the summer or even a cabin if they have a lot to park it on!

I LOVE MINNESOTA !!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2007, 03:15 PM »
Very common in these parts! Some guys will dump 10 grand plus into a shack and use it for their camper in the summer or even a cabin if they have a lot to park it on!

I have seen that also. Mostly on Mille Lacs. But never in a portable.

Some of the resorts offer storage, electric, showers and bathrooms during the summer and then they will tow your shack out and move it for you in the winter. You basically have a cabin without the chores and taxes.

I would rather stay in a motel or resort than an ice shack. A tent to me would seem preferable to a portable shack.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2007, 05:02 PM »
My wifes uncle has a monster tow behind that he uses for a camper. Some of the newer shacks are nicer than most campers. I have never seen anyone use a portable as a tent, but I bet I will before too long!

http://www.icefishhouses.com/gallery.html

Check some of these out, they sell them near my home. They tow as nice as any camper, so the dual use makes good sense.

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2007, 05:53 PM »
A guy here in Vt built a octagon 10 feet wide. Satelite, loft, bar.  Really loaded. Pretty ridiculous and caused a lot of talk, BUT BOY DAYTONA 500 sure looked great on the flatscreen. lol

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2007, 02:18 AM »
our cabin only has 3 rooms so i just sleep in my ice shanty, built some nice bunks for it will post pics if i remember this weekend.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2007, 05:33 PM »
My wifes uncle has a monster tow behind that he uses for a camper. Some of the newer shacks are nicer than most campers. I have never seen anyone use a portable as a tent, but I bet I will before too long!

http://www.icefishhouses.com/gallery.html

Check some of these out, they sell them near my home. They tow as nice as any camper, so the dual use makes good sense.

Skipper, some of those make my pull behind look like I'm sleeping in a dumpster. Maybe I should name mine the Dumpster. lol   :o ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2007, 07:09 PM »

Skipper, some of those make my pull behind look like I'm sleeping in a dumpster. Maybe I should name mine the Dumpster. lol   :o ;D

Its all about how much dough you are willing to spend for luxury. My Idea of luxury is a heater and a pail to sit on... 8)

Offline freezedried

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Fish Are Bitting somewhere find them
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2007, 11:00 PM »
All I can tell you is it is an addiction I bought my fist hard side last summer and I can't stop changing or adding stuff. The worst part about it is my dad can do anything and for some reason he kinda enjoys working on it. So all I have to do is say "You know what would look great in here" and he has it about done. I live in Iowa so anyone that has never fished out of it just can't believe I take it out on the ice and fish out of it. I really enjoy this sport and have never regretted a penny I have spent on it.

FD
When The Ice Is On...I'm On The Ice!!!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2007, 07:31 AM »
our cabin only has 3 rooms so i just sleep in my ice shanty, built some nice bunks for it will post pics if i remember this weekend.

My Wife's cousin has a cabin that we use for a deer camp. He has a ice shack that I think seldom sees the ice. He had a trailer that he used for extra living space. It rotted out. He bought a construction trailer from his work. Then he gutted the camper trailer and used the fittings, stove, heater, sink, in the construction trailer. He resided the whole thing with vinyl siding. It is really nice. Too bad it basically just sits in the front yard at the cabin.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2007, 01:09 PM »

Its all about how much dough you are willing to spend for luxury. My Idea of luxury is a heater and a pail to sit on... 8)

I bought a new wheel house last winter and I really like it. It's not anythin fancy, just six holes and a storage box in the front that I use for a bunk. It is amazing how much money are willing to put into an ice shack. I just like something where I can get out of the wind, stay warm and spend a few nights on the ice. Mine was made by Hayfield Industries and is the 6 1/2 x 12 foot model. Google them if ya want a look at it.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2007, 03:33 PM »
I will stick with my portables, I fish like a hyperactive nomad. ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2007, 06:52 PM »
I fish out of a portable a bunch also. Never have tried sleeping in it though. lol

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2007, 10:01 PM »
I would think in the dead of summer it'd be a little warm- I know my Clam has those weather/wind proof sides, not much air would get in.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Aug 06, 2007, 08:27 AM »
I guess I wasn't thinking about summer. My wheel house would probably be ok for summer. I use it for goose and deer hunting in the fall. For summer I have a 32" fifth wheel camper.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.