Author Topic: Genz Stix  (Read 2248 times)

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Genz Stix
« on: Feb 22, 2006, 03:44 PM »
Hey, just wondering what you guys think of the genz stix rods. What do you guys like or dislike about them? I have one light action gold series and was thinking of getting a medium action, the gold series are on sale for 17.99, thats the cheapest i have seen them.  :)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Genz Stix
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:41 PM »
I really like the rods, personally I prefer a slightly longer handle, but am still very happy with them. I have two of the light action ones. I also have two of the older Berkly genz rods that I also really like, even though Dave had nothing to do with the design.
I have heard lots of complaints about the reels freezing up in colder weather, although it hasn't happened to me. The drags on the reels leave so much to be desired that I got rid of them, but I do like the rods.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

crowkiller

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:46 PM »
i use frabill rods , work good for me

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:23 PM »
I bought two of the Genz gold combos this year. I think the rods are great! I have the blugill and the meium perch rods. The reel on the other hand is a peice of junk. When it's out in the cold the anti reverse quits working. I'll definately pick up more of these rods though.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:09 PM »
Drabbit   Who has them on sale and is that rod only or combo

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2006, 08:05 PM »
A slightly longer handle would be nice.  the actions seem to be a little stiffer than other rods.  I got a gold series perch rod and the action is a little stiff and could be used as a walley rod also.  The 2-4 pound crappie rods are awesome.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2006, 10:36 PM »
A slightly longer handle would be nice.  the actions seem to be a little stiffer than other rods.  I got a gold series perch rod and the action is a little stiff and could be used as a walley rod also.  The 2-4 pound crappie rods are awesome.

There are two different perch rods. One is light and the other is medium action. I have the medium, sounds like you do too. I agree it would make a good walleye rod. I like the short handles myself.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:13 AM »
Drabbit   Who has them on sale and is that rod only or combo

They are currently on sale at Scheels for 17.99 This is for the gold series combo.

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:37 PM »
JUNK. Do yourself a favor and buy ST. Croix legend ice rod or the Thorne Bros rod. I WILL gaurentee you that you will catch more fish with the St. Croix. I have used many ice rods and spent up to $80. for an ice rod and the Croixs are the best.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:42 PM »
80 Bucks I need the table scraps, I guess if ya got then its ok, Man lot to spend on an ice rod, spent that for an open water st. croix on sale last year, LOVE IT, would not pass on the frabill's tho.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:44 PM »
I like to catch fish not wish that I was catching them. With the Croix Legend it make it happen.

crowkiller

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:46 PM »
80 Bucks I need the table scraps, I guess if ya got then its ok, Man lot to spend on an ice rod, spent that for an open water st. croix on sale last year, LOVE IT, would not pass on the frabill's tho.
DITTO

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:38 PM »
I have looked at the st croix rods and agree that they are nice, but i am not gonna spend that kind of cash for an ice rod. I dont think it would help me ice that many more fish to be worth the cost.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:52 PM »
I catch my share of fish and i dont even have a clue of what brand any of my jigging rods are all I know is (for me anyways) got to have large line guides. I pick up the rod at the store and can tell if its for me or not my jiging is almost strictly perch and crappie in shallower water so as long as i got the springbobbers handy and the reels dont freeze im all set    those st croix rods do look and feel nice but for that price I can deal with my "junkers".

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:11 PM »
frabill all the way
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:12 PM »
DRabbit, do you own a flasher, shelter or gas auger?

Offline pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:29 PM »
i just got a walleye genz but havent tried it yet, but it feels good. my "lucky" pole this year by far has been a old as the hills, no reel, spring bobber pole with 1 lb line. its a pain to get started, unwinding the string about 3 inches at a time but once its down i hand over handed tons of fish with it. its great outfishing my friends that have 300$ finders with that pole and its happened a few times  ;)

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:43 PM »
DRabbit, do you own a flasher, shelter or gas auger?

I do have a flasher gas auger and shelter, However it depends where i am fishing as to what i have. When i am at college i just have the flasher a hand auger and everything else that fits in a 5 gal bucket(rods,tackle, tipups, ice scoop). Back home i have both a permanent and portable shanty, and always use a gas auger.

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:35 AM »
The reason I asked was so many people will spend the big buck on everything but there ice rods. The rod is what is going to detect the bite. A lot of guys will spend the big dollars for "bass tackle" but for some reason when it comes to ice rods people want to go cheap. One good outfit and you will realize the difference. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.